Egnater Rebel 30 noise problem

barkett

I just purchased and received a brand new Egnater Rebel 30 1x12 combo. I plugged it in and thought everything was wonderful until about 20 minutes into playing when it started making a strange electrical noise. The best I can describe it is a repeating "tick, tick, splash!" sound or a "drip, drip, sizzle!" sound. I unplugged the guitar and the noise continues. I tried different outlets and it continues. The noise occurs regardless of the channel or any settings. It is very audible and unacceptable. I am dissapointed because I waited for this amp which was backordered since May and for 20 minutes I was really digging the tones. The odd repeating noise started up again after letting it rest overnight and simply turning it on without any guitar plugged in. Does anyone have any idea what this problem is and how or if it can be fixed? Thank you for all responses!

Please give me or Nate a call at 877-EGNATER and we will get you going. Or you can email us at nate@eganteramps or john@egnateramps. Thanks
john

i have the exact same problem with the rebel 30 head.
i sent it back to the online shop i bought it from ("thomann.de") but all they did was applying some contact cleaner on the knobs,NOT SOLVING the problem at all!
i checked the tubes and they're all good,
any idea?

cheers.

took my rebel head to my local amp repair shop,the guy tried a whole new set of preamp tubes.
no result :aww:

i asked him if he had any idea about the noise but he couldn't tell.
he said he would charge me a 150 euros for a complete check up of the amp,but considering the amp is still under warranty he advised me to contact egnater's customer support.

(sorry for the broken english ,i'm french)

If you shoot an e-mail to nate@egnateramps.com, he will be able to help you out with your warranty work. However, if the amp is making a crackling, static type noise, then it is entirely possible that it's just a bad power tube. If you have a set of known good power amp tubes that you can try, I would put those in and see if it solves your static issue.

Ian Egnater":1sgxqinq said:
If you have a set of known good power amp tubes that you can try, I would put those in and see if it solves your static issue.

could i try with ONLY a fresh new pair of 6V6 power tubes?
cause changing both EL84 and 6V6 would be pretty expensisve for just a quick test.
anyway it would be surprising if both stock EL84 and 6V6 were faulty since day one.

cheers.

mozlamoz":bpenvomj said:
Ian Egnater":bpenvomj said:
If you have a set of known good power amp tubes that you can try, I would put those in and see if it solves your static issue.

could i try with ONLY a fresh new pair of 6V6 power tubes?
cause changing both EL84 and 6V6 would be pretty expensisve for just a quick test.
anyway it would be surprising if both stock EL84 and 6V6 were faulty since day one.

cheers.

If you set the tube mix all the way to 6V6, I suppose. But spare tubes are never a bad thing to have, quick test or not.

Hello

I have REBEL -30 HEAD and I have the same problem with that continous wierd noise that appears when amp is turned on for about an hour.
I changed all the tubes. Even if nothing is plugged in the amp the noise appears.

I dont know what to do.

I can send you a video clip with that noise.

Did anyone manage to solve that problem?

Tnx

Hi Janko, I don't mean to sound like a jerk "but" are you playing your amp with too much pre-amp signal going into the power-amp side of the amp, that is not being driven hard enough. What you may be hearing is valve noise / amp noise that you are amplifying too much in the pre-amp stage then amplifying again in the power-amp stage. Valve amps like being driven through hard working power-amp valves not hard working little pre-amp valves. A lot of people have bemoaned the reverbs in Egnater amps, that they distort, pop and just sound bad, it's the same thing, running too much pre-amp signal into the reverb is going to do that, I can run my reverb full on and it sounds wonderful but if I turn up the pre-amp I just kill my tone and distort the hell out of the reverb. It's the same with the "cheap nasty valves" that come with the amp, it's not the valves, it's people running too much pre-amp. The settings samples in the Egnater manual are for a loud amp being played loud with a band, if you run those same settings in a "bedroom" and just turn the master volume down your just going to kill all the tone in your amp, if you then compensate by turning up the gain in the pre-amp it might sound OK but your also turning up any noise that is in your signal and not really getting your amp tone back. Now if you know all that then I've just sounded like a patronizing twat, and I'm sorry, but I do think a lot of the problems people are having with these amps are pilot error and nothing to do with Egnater. The best way to tell if your running too much pre-amp and not enough power-amp is when your playing a rocky overdrive sound and you turn the volume down on your guitar, the gain of your amp should drop not the amp volume. Hope that helps.

Interesting, I have the exact same problem with mine, but it's very intermittent.
I'd love to know what the cure is.

I had the same frustrating problem. Clean channel has some hiss (which I can live with) but what was driving me nuts was the random crackle and pop sounds.

Swapped all the preamp tubes in the clean channel and the phase inverter. No change.

Here is the kicker - if I did not install the preamp microphonic cage (the cylinder with the spring which should reduce the microphonic effects) on the first stage of the clean channel the crackle and pop sounds completely disappeared. I tried 4 different brand new 12AX7's (that were all good in other amps) to no avail until I removed the cage.

Don't know if this a ground or cold solder related problem but I am now a happy man.

Before you toss it in garbage ( I have a lot of Egnater gear but this noise problem pushed my limits) try removing the 12ax7 cylinders for the clean channel as a minimum.

I now do not want to throw this out.

If the noise is a repetitive popping and hissing which seems to have reverb on it heres the temporary fix.

Makes sure the amps been powered of and unplugged for 30 minutes. This is to avoid having a hair style like Don King or possibly dieing of electric shock.

Take the rear panel off. Put the amp on its end and remove the 4 screws that secure the chassis. Carefully slide the chassis out and turn it upside down, resting in on the power transformer and something else to support the other end.

Remove the 2 reverb control knobs, nuts, and washers from the rear of the amp.

Carefully remove the reverb PCB, turn it over and unplug the 2 connectors. Place the connectors somewhere where they are not going to make electrical contact with anything.

Put everything back together using the reverse of the procedure described above. Done.

The issue seems to be caused by heat on a dodgy reverb PCB. Removing the connectors does not audibly affect anything because the reverb seems to be added as per a parallel effects loop.

Proper fix is obviously to somehow get a hold of a new reverb PCB board and replace it.

Hope this helps you guys. I ran the amp for 4 hours in 40C ambient heat after this "mod" and had no problems and it has been fine ever since.

Tommyp,

Yes, I simply disconnected the two connectors on the reverb pcb board. No problems whatsoever since. I have emailed Egnater to ask how I can get hold of a replacement board but have heard nothing yet. It's obviously a workaround but I dont need the onboard reverb because I use a G-Major 2 for that stuff.

I hope this helps.

Nick.

I bought the same Egnater Rebel 30 1x12 combo a couple of days ago and now I'm experiencing the same problem and phenomena.
The repeating noise comes out of the speaker and for me the case is just like this,
Turn on the power -> waiting for 5 min. at the state of stand-by -> push up the switch to Play -> playing about 5~10 min. -> abruptly the noise comes out.

I can hear the beautiful clean and overdriven sound from this amplifier but with also this noise which is not small ("tick, tick, splash!" just as Barkett described)

After unpluging guitar the same nosie is generated.(I've bought voltage regulator for this problem, but in vain). That noise exists in both the clean and

the overdriven channel. I've bought this amplifier at schoolmusic in korea and I've noticed them about this and I will change my amp. to new one.

I hope I can get only the beautiful Eganter sound without this much annoying noise.

Is there anyone who have solved this problem ?

This is a reverb board problem - or something closely related to it.

- replacing tubes has no effect
- disconnecting reverb board eliminates this noise.
- noise is luckily not increasing with amp's volume - because of that it is hard to notice it on stage where volumes are higher (in my case)
- in my case noise occurs after half an hour or even more, so it is very hard to troubleshoot
- noise is the same regardless of channel, reverb state, switches etc.
- i can't hear this noise with direct out (speaker simulator) - not 100% sure, though

Recently I've replaced an original reverb board with the new one (Egnater sent it to me). In this case, the same noise was much
much worse/louder, making amp unusable. :confused: So I've put an original board back - comparing to the new one, it appears almost
flawless :)

I simply love this amp, the best sound I've ever had and love it's reverb, too. I won't replace it simply because of this issue itself, so I really hope
Egnater and local service will find the ultimate solution for this soon. As i can see I am not alone with this problem ...

Zabukowski

Back