El84 that sound similar to EL34?

marcus262

Hi, :)

I read most of el84 tube reviews, but few of them even make the comparisson against EL34.

I know that they are never gonna sound like a true El34 with appropriate high voltage,
but I just want to find one that sounds the most similar.
I'm interested in distortion sound.

I tried putting EL34 in my single ended amp, but i just don't have that high voltage and output transformer , so it sounds mellow and sterile and EL84 just sounds better and more "Marshall" despite El34 in general being a better tube and most Marshallish.
I coppied the preamp schematic for the Ceriatone Yeti to single ended el84. My speaker is G12M greenback, preamp tubes Ruby 12ax7ac5.

So far, I tested EI El84, JJ el84 and russian NOS 6P14P.

EI el84 have pronounced high midrange, tight bass, but lack in low mids and bass volume is small compared to 6P14P-EV.
6P14P-EV sound larger, have more pronounced bass and low mid, but lack treble or maybe high mid compared to EI el84.
JJ el84 sound harsh in some frequency (probably treble or high mid)
So, the best would be to combine the largeness of 6P14P-EV and high mid of EI el84.

If you could give me some recommendations, I would be truly grateful. :)

I'm thinking of maybe Mullard el84 (some say its dark) or TAD el84 STR (i read that it is more crunchy with tight bass)...

Any comment would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Back