EMG JH set death metal clip

Code001

Made this real quick before the food for the Super Bowl came. Just kinda BS'd the lead. The bridge isn't quite as tight and direct as the 81, but it's a bit thicker sounding and a bit "bigger." The neck is a huge improvement over both the 60 and the 85, IMO. It's warm without being overly woofy, and it's very clear. Some mistakes, but I'm more interested in eating food than trying to record at the moment. :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.soundcloud.com/code001/emg-jh-set-test

Thanks for listening! It's always nice to see other guys on Soundcloud, too. I really like that site.

That was cool. Dug your "BS'd" lead/melody. Sounds like you have quite the right hand or a very effectively set gate :LOL: :LOL:

Same technique most people use to make their shit sound tight. Just cut the waveform in your DAW. :LOL: :LOL: I did use a gate, but it's nearly impossible to get something that tight without actually muting or cutting the noise in between.

Sounds good Tommy......I played a guitar with EMG's in it last night after over a year with the Suhr Aldrich pickup.
Wow...it was so sensitive. :LOL: :LOL:
Actually was my old guitar I played. Felt good.
Wanting to get a set of these Hetfields. Well....at least a Bridge pickup. :thumbsup:

Sounds great and great playing. Minor nitpick, I wish you wouldn't have chopped the ends off, though. Sounds more natural when they are left on, IMO.

killertone":l9pxs3c6 said:
Sounds great and great playing. Minor nitpick, I wish you wouldn't have chopped the ends off, though. Sounds more natural when they are left on, IMO.

Do you mean during the rhythm for the solo or the solo itself? If it's the rhythm, I'd agree, but that's what all the "cool kids" are doing these days, if you catch my drift. If you mean the solo itself, I was doing a back and forth thing, so I had to do real short and quick takes. The lead chopping was kinda unavoidable for the vibe that I was shooting for.

Code001":1nfe0w0k said:
killertone":1nfe0w0k said:

Do you mean during the rhythm for the solo or the solo itself? If it's the rhythm, I'd agree, but that's what all the "cool kids" are doing these days, if you catch my drift. If you mean the solo itself, I was doing a back and forth thing, so I had to do real short and quick takes. The lead chopping was kinda unavoidable for the vibe that I was shooting for.

I definitely meant the rhythm parts. I was even gonna say I knew that was what all the kids did these days. :LOL: :LOL: Problem is, I am old! :LOL: :LOL:

Lead was killer!

killertone":1p5mswvs said:
I wish you wouldn't have chopped the ends off, though. Sounds more natural when they are left on, IMO.

What does that mean ? I'm a noob at recording.

thegame":1ypp4fgt said:
killertone":1ypp4fgt said:
I wish you wouldn't have chopped the ends off, though. Sounds more natural when they are left on, IMO.

It is when you go in and edit the wave form to make digital silence between stop/starts on a guiar track. You can hear it in the rhythms in his track. Like he said, lots and lots of new bands do this, it has become pretty standard in the deathcore scene.

Want to reiterate so this track isn't derailed by my nitpicking that the tone and playing are killer on this clip! :rock:

killertone":2z39sh1s said:
thegame":2z39sh1s said:
killertone":2z39sh1s said:

It is when you go in and edit the wave form to make digital silence between stop/starts on a guiar track. You can hear it in the rhythms in his track. Like he said, lots and lots of new bands do this, it has become pretty standard in the deathcore scene.

Yup, exactly this. It makes it sound a bit more "mechanical," but it's what everyone is doing today, so I figured I'd try it out. The drums are all on the grid too, so it's a very unnatural kind of playing going on.

Skrapmetal":2z39sh1s said:
Are these plug-and-play with existing EMG harnesses?

Yeah, they'll snap into any existing EMG harness. However, I think it's the bridge pickup that has the plug on the bass side for whatever reason. It's really weird. I'm not sure why they did that. :confused:

That was cool. The guitars need to come up or the drums down a hair on the beginning of that track. I like the stutter riff and the lead was cool. :)

Mailman1971":3nvjvtfk said:
Sounds good Tommy......I played a guitar with EMG's in it last night after over a year with the Suhr Aldrich pickup.
Wow...it was so sensitive. :LOL: :LOL:
Actually was my old guitar I played. Felt good.
Wanting to get a set of these Hetfields. Well....at least a Bridge pickup. :thumbsup:

You know I just picked up a used Ibanez RGA72TQME that has an 81 and 85 in it. I've been using passives for a very very long time but I was really digging playing those pick ups.

Skrapmetal":3nvjvtfk said:
Are these plug-and-play with existing EMG harnesses?

I'm curious about this as well.

Back