EMG Retro-Actives...Hot 77...You Guys Tried Them?

angelspade

Any of you guys tried these EMG Retro-Actives? Seems like they get somewhat mixed reviews, but a few of the hard rock / metal guys out on the net seem to like them. I like actives generally and am thinking of trying them out in one of my Les Pauls. As an additional plusm seems like a tradition PAF cover will fit over them, so I can keep that classic / traditional look as well. Any thoughts on these?

I only used a bridge pickup some time ago. All in all, I'd say it's a nice pickup for Hard Rock or 80s metal. I actually only replaced it in the guitar because I wanted to try the EMG81 and was too lazy to swap the 77 back. And, it was quiet regarding to noise or hum.

I only used a bridge pickup some time ago. All in all, I'd say it's a nice pickup for Hard Rock or 80s metal. I actually only replaced it in the guitar because I wanted to try the EMG81 and was too lazy to swap the 77 back. And, it was quiet regarding to noise or hum.
Thanks brother...probably an obvious answer, but how did it compare to the 81 overall?

Thanks brother...probably an obvious answer, but how did it compare to the 81 overall?
I don't think it does.

I've only tried it briefly, so take it as a grain of salt, but it sounded to me more like a more or less standard bright hot overwound Ceramic passive a la Duncan Distortion or Gibson 500T... sort of along those lines. I know there's kind of a noticeable difference between those two, but my point is it sounded more like a passive with a very subtle boost going on than a full-on archetypical active like the 81.

I don't think it does.

I've only tried it briefly, so take it as a grain of salt, but it sounded to me more like a more or less standard bright hot overwound Ceramic passive a la Duncan Distortion or Gibson 500T... sort of along those lines. I know there's kind of a noticeable difference between those two, but my point is it sounded more like a passive with a very subtle boost going on than a full-on archetypical active like the 81.
I would describe it about the same

Back