Engl Fireball 100 is easily their best amp - Change My Mind

I must be honest, I have always hated the “one amp destroying another amp” philosophy and mindset. Heard this used to describe some of my favourite amps getting “destroyed”. I play for tone, not a drag race.

I’ve even noticed some YouTubers (not the guy from this thread) setting up their amps to almost sound like a car to me. All thick low mids and bass. Then just play a few riffs in a real car kind of way.

Maybe I’m fixated on the car thing and imagining it, but still my first point stands 😂.

I play for tone, not a drag race.
How would you describe it then? My understanding is that they're talking about how much they like the tone, or how well it cuts it in a live setting. In that context, I'd interpret "destroys" to mean "there is no question on which amp whose tone I prefer/is better live".

Last edited:
How would you describe it then? My understanding is that they're talking about how much they like the tone, or how well it cuts it in a live setting. In that context, I'd interpret "destroys" to mean "there is no question on which amp whose tone I prefer/is better live".
Some of the amps that get “destroyed” in posts I’ve read in the past are absolute golden amps. Cool, someone has a preference or one amp is louder than the other or whatever. But destroyed always rubs me up the wrong way. Too over over dramatic and competitive.

The problem with engls not cutting through isn’t their midrange presence, they have a metric shit ton of midrange ( save for the powerball). They use small iron, simple as that. Their amps, if playing unmicd with something like a 5150, is going to get fucking buried. A big iron amp like a recto, or a 5150, is going to smokeeee virtually any Engl. anyone who has owned a savage, or Blackmore model etc next to a 5150 or something knows exactly what I’m talking about.

Mmm ok that their amps do have small iron, can't argue with that, but what do you think they are lacking practically? IME there are sort of 3 factors that do define how much you shine or get buried when comparing guitar amps (and band mix in general:) the amp EQ (natural EQ curve, and how do you set it), the compression (and gain), and the overall volume. How does the small irons ENGL uses influence that in your opinion?

I must be honest, I have always hated the “one amp destroying another amp” philosophy and mindset. Heard this used to describe some of my favourite amps getting “destroyed”. I play for tone, not a drag race.

I’ve even noticed some YouTubers (not the guy from this thread) setting up their amps to almost sound like a car to me. All thick low mids and bass. Then just play a few riffs in a real car kind of way.

Maybe I’m fixated on the car thing and imagining it, but still my first point stands 😂.
You sound overly fixated on the car thing. Amps don't sound like cars, your ears are broken.

^I think he meant car speakers or car audio :dunno:

I can't remember where I read it but the 5150 and the Recto do not have big big iron compared to other amps. Bigger than the Engl stuff? Sure.

Cool video, man! I have a couple of dogs in this race lol

tempImagewBBOGO.png

I find that that the Savage 120 doesn't sound so good with the V30s in my Orange 2x12, as it lacks a lot bottom end. But on the right cab, like my Emperor 4x12 with Governors and Tonkers, the amp has a lot of punch.

In contrast, the Fireball 100, with all of its low end girth, sounds too bass heavy on the Emperor, but excellent on the Orange.

For anyone who's keen on having another listen to that amp, here's a recording I did with the Orange 2x12.

The problem with engls not cutting through isn’t their midrange presence, they have a metric shit ton of midrange ( save for the powerball). They use small iron, simple as that. Their amps, if playing unmicd with something like a 5150, is going to get fucking buried. A big iron amp like a recto, or a 5150, is going to smokeeee virtually any Engl. anyone who has owned a savage, or Blackmore model etc next to a 5150 or something knows exactly what I’m talking about.

I dig the savage in the studio, some of my favorite tones ever have been done with them. When I was playing live? I couldn’t get rid of them fast enough.

On that Note, the fireball 100 and the savage mk2 is about the only thing that interests me from them these days, the fireball sounds real killer here for sure. Really sick sounding amp @Bad.Seed For sure, really want one now haZ I wish so bad the savage 120 OG model worked for me, I lusted over that amp for years as a kid. Sounded incredible on its own, but man it was such a let down with a band. Still a classic in the studio no doubt though.
Sadly, will have to agree here. OG 120, same as you I lusted after that thing, then the OG Powerball. Got them both and I was the only guitarist at that time and was eaten up by the drums and bassist. Around this general time frame got the Framus Cobra, just the opposite, the bassist and drummer were like wtf, we can't hear our low end lol. And honestly I never felt the Framus was built all that great either, the Engls always at least "felt" more solid in terms of build. Of course back then I always was right back to my OG 5150 as it was just a beast.

Now granted if your gigging constantly and know you're always gonna have good monitors and front of house or you're recording then it's not really an issue but when you're rehearsing and having to claim sonic space then you I had issues with them for sure. I still love their overall high gain sound though, no doubt.

I did really like my spin with the Artist a few years back but never tried it in a band setting.

I've definitely heard that about Engl amps as well - hard, if not impossible to work on.

I bought my Powerball II for $500 because it had a serious issue. I forget what, exactly, but apparently it was a known issue - I gave the amp to my tech immediately, and luckily I have a good relationship with the people at Engl, so they provided schematics as well as replacement parts that were updated in order to fix the issue. - I understand not everyone gets this treatment.
I've had a few chats with Martin at ENGL and he's always been helpful, but he does dodge a few of my more technical questions. I'm not blaming him specifically, clearly there's a company policy about it. My guess is that authorized techs have access to certain materials or can be provided with partial schematics, but I'd bet they would get in a lot of trouble if they shared it. I do wonder though, I mean if I had materials for a 30 year old ENGL and I was closing my repair business anyway, why not share stuff? Idk, maybe this stuff is happening but it's all behind closed doors, kind of like how some people trade factory service manuals for vintage cars (that the manufacturer would certainly not approve of even if they don't make the car anymore).

The irony is nobody wants to copy an Engl amp in the first place
Well the funny thing to me is that the one that is probably the most special in my eyes, the Savage Mk1, there is a schematic online for. Not sure exactly how accurate it is but it's there.

And that actually brings about a crucial part of this whole thing, and the reason it bothers me enough to comment on it. Not putting the component information on the PCB really only serves to make tracing issues difficult for people who do their own repairs, or your average electronics repair shop. If someone is an electrical engineer and they are really dedicated to building an ENGL clone, they are going to be able to figure it out anyway by checking the voltages and notating the component values manually. Yeah it's a pain in the butt, but if someone physically has your amp in their hands, they can figure it out, all you did was slow them down at the cost of hurting a much wider user base. (This is a common topic in computer info security, once an attacker has physical access to a device, they are eventually going to get your sensitive info, so at what point do you draw the line with how complicated/time consuming your security measures are?)

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding why they do it like this, maybe the point is specifically to prevent people from doing crappy "home repairs." I've seen my share of shitty amp repairs (like my Rev F which is off at Mesa right now). But to come around to that car example I mentioned above, this is an issue in that industry too (especially with electric cars) called "Right to Repair," which would likely apply to guitar amps too.

I feel like tech like this should be made open, or at the very least, there should be a period of time where the documentation becomes public. I.E. once an amp is 15 years old, the schematics should be open access, or similar. I mean, that's the only reason we even have guitar amps in the first place, RCA tube/amp schematics were published publicly, then Fender made amps and published schematics, people modified and innovated off of those (ex. Marshall, Mesa) and look at all the cool stuff we have now.

This sort of behavior from manufacturers irritates me. Do we have a reference list of what manufacturers are supportive of, or hostile to, repairability?. So far it seems to just be scattered around forums. It'd be useful, I think, to have some place that collected together people's experiences with trying to (have someone) repair their amps, whether the manufacturer provides schematics, if there are dirty tricks being pulled like in the picture above, etc.

It's hard to tell, for example there are schematics for pretty much every Marshall amp, but I am not confident in saying that if you emailed Marshall right now asking for a JVM410 schematic if they'd give it to you. I'm also more forgiving of keeping the current production stuff under wraps for at least a few years. I don't know for sure and maybe even some manufacturers don't, but the usual product/release cycle is that a new product sells like crazy, then tapers off drastically, so it makes sense to protect a design for the first few years after launch. Anecdotally, I've seen about 5x as many 2007-2008 JVM's from the first year than I have any other year.

Here's what I do know
Not hostile:
  • Marshall
  • Fender/EVH
  • Mesa (will send you schematics of any amp that is not current production if you ask nicely)
  • Ceriatone (obviously, but even for their own design/spinoffs they will give them to you)
  • Jet City/Soldano
  • Laney
Hostile:
  • ENGL
  • Rivera
  • PWE
  • Splawn
  • Steavens
  • Fryette/VHT
  • Mako
  • Anyone that goops the internals
There's others of course that I'm not sure about. For example I can't find a KSR Orthos schematic anywhere on the web so I *suspect* they won't share it but I also do not necessarily know for sure because I've never asked. One other "wrench" in the mix here, some of the official schematics are suspected to have some falsified details, such as schematics from 2ch Rectifiers. Whether Mesa intentionally used incorrect schematics or if they just don't have a 100% accurate schematic could be a subject for debate - I'd give them the benefit of the doubt from talking to them the other day, where they sent me the RA100 schematic just outright, and also told me that they didn't have internal schematics labeled as "Rev D, E, F or G" for 2 channel rectos. I think it's more of a case of 30 year old amps being manufactured with slightly changing specs so there's no one perfect schematic to apply. I'd also give smaller/boutique makers a little more benefit of the doubt, they have an idea or concept and are trying to protect it because it's their livelihood - but companies like ENGL are far from little boutique shops.

...... Sorry for the thread hijack, I'm way off topic now

Some of the amps that get “destroyed” in posts I’ve read in the past are absolute golden amps. Cool, someone has a preference or one amp is louder than the other or whatever. But destroyed always rubs me up the wrong way. Too over over dramatic and competitive.
I blame stuff like the youtube engagement algorithm for stuff like this. It's because words like that - "destroyed" - are shocking titles that make people click which = money.

Reminds me of that one video where the title/thumbnail was something like "Celestion just ENDED the Vintage 30!" and people have such short attention spans that they click that because of the misleading title (they think it's going to be discontinued or something), then watch a 20 minute long video of some demo riffs through a Vintage 30. Then they give the guy money via ad reveneue and leave comments like "cool comparison I had a vintage 30 once and it was so cool haha" and completely forgot that the reason they are even there is because they got suckered in for the clicks.

If people used their brains a little more and didn't just click the most shocking, eye catching titles, they'd find more valuable and meaningful content. But let's face it, that's not the way the internet is moving lol

Have a guitar player with a 5150 in the room, and the other with a powerball….. what other adjective would you use to describe what happens to the powerball in relation to the 5150? This isn’t a subtle thing, at all. Not in the least. It’s not like “eh, yea, the 5150 can kinda be heard better than the powerball”….again, it’s not remotely subtle. There are things i personally talk about on here, especially in pro audio, that to some may seem very subtle or unimportant compared to what I feel about it……this is not one of those things. Everyone here is saying the same thing.

Cool video, man! I have a couple of dogs in this race lol

View attachment 244235

I find that that the Savage 120 doesn't sound so good with the V30s in my Orange 2x12, as it lacks a lot bottom end. But on the right cab, like my Emperor 4x12 with Governors and Tonkers, the amp has a lot of punch.

In contrast, the Fireball 100, with all of its low end girth, sounds too bass heavy on the Emperor, but excellent on the Orange.

For anyone who's keen on having another listen to that amp, here's a recording I did with the Orange 2x12.

We all are different. And set up amos differently . I make Engls work too , not my fav but I love their processed sounds for desth metal . I always have one Engl atleast

"Right to Repair," which would likely apply to guitar amps too.
Indeed, and that is what I had in mind. I appreciate you taking the time to write that out, and sorry for helping you derail the thread. I was wondering if it would be worth starting a separate thread just for R2R stuff with amps/gear, and based on your response it seems like there are at least a few people who would find value in it.

Wish you would demo the Invader 2. I have one and love it but would like to see what other people’s tones sound like. Not a lot of content out there.

I dig the savage in the studio, some of my favorite tones ever have been done with them. When I was playing live? I couldn’t get rid of them fast enough.

On that Note, the fireball 100 and the savage mk2 is about the only thing that interests me from them these days, the fireball sounds real killer here for sure. Really sick sounding amp @Bad.Seed For sure, really want one now haZ I wish so bad the savage 120 OG model worked for me, I lusted over that amp for years as a kid. Sounded incredible on its own, but man it was such a let down with a band. Still a classic in the studio no doubt though.
Don't Rectos have pretty small transformers compared to Marshalls and 5150's?

Last edited:
That's what I was saying.

My Rectoverb
LSbbdFo.jpg

A 5150 (bigger)
UVqNmze.jpg

compared to my Splawn
74agxLu.jpg
I meant the 100 watters.

The Singles have REALLY like REALLY undersized transformers. But they also only have 8 ohm outs, so they don't need as many winds. Even so, many people complain Singles aren't really loud enough without farting out.

But the 100W rectos do have 16 ohm outs, don't they? And they have trannies that are about half the size of a 5150. That being said though, they're not really known for sounding small or not being loud enough, so I don't really know how that translates.

Also, my XXX had about the same size trannies as a 5150, yet it wasn't nearly as loud.

Back