Enough pics, lets hear some dirty flithy clips!!!

Digital Jams

I hear that Alan has that Marshall goodness in his products and can get nasty so let's hear some clips!

Or direct me to some on the youtube :scared: :D

here's a hackalicious clip of my old OD2-100 with the Vector for you Digi...for me more about my realization that I could record something on my craptacular little point and shoot cam than a showcase of the amp, but you get the idea. I'll record a clip with the OD2r and put it up later.

I hear Alan play one at Tone Merchants and it was pretty beefy. I really liked the gain voicing. It was very smooth and natural.

* velcro-fly *":3b9gd5cd said:
here's a hackalicious clip of my old OD2-100 with the Vector for you Digi...for me more about my realization that I could record something on my craptacular little point and shoot cam than a showcase of the amp, but you get the idea. I'll record a clip with the OD2r and put it up later.

Nice guitar ;)

Come on Steve bro, I KNOW for a FACT you can get nastier than that ;) :thumbsup: Sounds good :thumbsup:

Here's a link to a couple of clips Stu Carter from Fat Sounds recorded of a 6L6 50W OD-2.

Both of the overdrive clips don't have the gain settings really high (11'O Clock for the rhythm one and 1 O'Clock for the lead one), but given those settings it's not difficult to hear that a fairly high level of gain is in fact available once you crank the gain right up. This is the hardest myth to dispel about the OD-2 because most of the clips around have low to medium gain settings. Serious grind is available. The D-type association people have made has both a positive or negative influence on opinions. Please decide for yourself.

http://www.fatsoundguitars.com/store/pl ... height=410

I actually think the lead tone here is really nice and shows some of the amps more 'Santana' qualities and is nothing at like a Robben Ford tone that all too often plague viewpoints. It's easy to draw lineage between this tone and the tone Joe Bonamassa used to record the second solo in 'Stop'. This is a lead voicing I gravitate towards in most of my OD circuits based on my own influences and tones I use. Joe manages to extract the exact tone I heard in my head when I designed his model. His model used here is 100W JB-100 with EL34's.

http://www.carolannamps.com/jb100.htm

Carol-AnnAmps":1nui8jw5 said:
This is the hardest myth to dispel about the OD-2 because most of the clips around have low to medium gain settings. Serious grind is available. The D-type association people have made has both a positive or negative influence on opinions. Please decide for yourself.

These amps balls out rock. They will grind with the best of them. I think the biggest problem is that most people have not had a chance to actually play one. I guarantee a large percentage of this boards members would be shocked to hear and feel what they will do. It's strange too how when you bring the volume levels up, you can really back the gain down and it still crunches and sings even though it doesn't seem like it should.

What should not be overlooked here is the clean channel. Absolutely stellar!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Beautiful, sparkly, 3-D tones shimmer with ease. One of the nicer aspects of these amps, and one that's also rarely discussed.

What's great is when pushed, the clean channel will do a super nice break-up at the top end of things.

To Scott/OP -- to my ears, the gain channel sounds more like "Marshall meets Trainwreck" than your basic JCM 800 circuit. Which is NOT a bad thing, mind you. Just pointing out the OD-series amps are far from any semblance of a "clone." The preamp has its own unique voice, and really take on different personalities, depending on what guitar/pickup combos you plug in.

Killer amp. If i were rich, I'd own several.

BerkleeBill":6pvdj7hn said:
What should not be overlooked here is the clean channel. Absolutely stellar!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Beautiful, sparkly, 3-D tones shimmer with ease. One of the nicer aspects of these amps, and one that's also rarely discussed.

What's great is when pushed, the clean channel will do a super nice break-up at the top end of things.

To Scott/OP -- to my ears, the gain channel sounds more like "Marshall meets Trainwreck" than your basic JCM 800 circuit. Which is NOT a bad thing, mind you. Just pointing out the OD-series amps are far from any semblance of a "clone." The preamp has its own unique voice, and really take on different personalities, depending on what guitar/pickup combos you plug in.

Hey Bill, not spoke to you in a while . Hope everything is good. Moved up to Pelham, NH last year. Call me sometime to catch up if you get a few mins.

BerkleeBill":3tkkyxkp said:

THat is what Steve has been telling me as well Bill, they are more marshall / wreck type amps than the other stuff that these get lumped into. I did lump them in at first, I was wrong about that and was just listening to the wrong people.

Alan, your in NH?

Back