EQ Pedals... Parallel or Serial Loop... or in Front? (also OD pedal question)

MesaSean

Long time folks! (Did a search in the search bar and nothing came up, hence why I am posting so apologies if talked about)

I just got a MXR 10 Band EQ as I had a store credit so I loaded up on a bunch of pedals. Mainly wanted the EQ pedal to sparkle up my clean chorus tone on channel 1 or have some fun with fiddling around with my rhythm chug chug ones.

Those who use EQ's... where do you prefer yours sonically?

Right now my set up is simple with the loops. MXR Chorus pedal in channel insert 1 and a TC Electronics Delay in the parallel loop which I keep on for cleans and channel 4. Channel 3 I leave alone just for rhythm tones.

As I said I have a credit with a store so I have a MXR Timmy and Boss Waza Dimension chorus coming to play around with. The Timmy will be for some fun boosting channel 2 and maybe even seeing how it reacts to channel 3 and 4.

Thanks!

Older picture as I have added some more pedals and guitars of course.
mesa_sean-76891434_177517656697694_5547950562233918037_n.jpg

If I have a swack of FX in front of the amp, I'll tend to stick that exact EQ pedal either right in front or at the end of the chain to counter any tone suck/bleed.

I've found it clips in the loops of a few of my amps (can't handle line levels all the time) so - not that reliable if it's constantly under heavy duress loop-wise.

If I have a swack of FX in front of the amp, I'll tend to stick that exact EQ pedal either right in front or at the end of the chain to counter any tone suck/bleed.

I've found it clips in the loops of a few of my amps (can't handle line levels all the time) so - not that reliable if it's constantly under heavy duress loop-wise.
Thanks... I'll try the loop first and see how goes. I want it in their for tone reasons the more I read about EQ pedals (never really used one) and want to use my Ground Control to midi switch it on and off easily.

Wow...I cannot get over how killer this EQ sounds. I want two of them now lol One for channel one and one for the insert of channel 3.

I dialed in this insane clean tone. I mean it was night and day. Do I dare say almost Fenderish clean?? :) But yeah... super crystal clean and sparkly.

Also it really focused my overdrive on channel 3 for some chug chug action. Highly recommend one of these and stick it in the loop.

cheers

Wow...I cannot get over how killer this EQ sounds. I want two of them now lol One for channel one and one for the insert of channel 3.

I dialed in this insane clean tone. I mean it was night and day. Do I dare say almost Fenderish clean?? :) But yeah... super crystal clean and sparkly.

Also it really focused my overdrive on channel 3 for some chug chug action. Highly recommend one of these and stick it in the loop.

cheers
Honestly I was so blown away by the first one I bought I immediately bought another - ya, they're that fkn good. I love them. And they're not overly priced - they are absolutely killer GEQs :thumbsup:

(EDIT: we're talking the brushed aluminum silver one with the blinding blue LEDs, yes??)

Last edited:
My experience using an EQ with the VH4 into a V30 loaded 4x12 Diezel cab…….I changed out the top two speakers in the cab with Creamback 65’s and I didn’t need the EQ then……I found the VH4 actually had the sound I wanted but the V30 speakers could not produce the entire range of frequencies.

Honestly I was so blown away by the first one I bought I immediately bought another - ya, they're that fkn good. I love them. And they're not overly priced - they are absolutely killer GEQs :thumbsup:

(EDIT: we're talking the brushed aluminum silver one with the blinding blue LEDs, yes??)
yup! The Silver with bright Blue LED's

yup! The Silver with bright Blue LED's
Ya, killer GEQs for sure - like I said, I own a couple now cuz they're just that good. Now, in the context of your initial post - I've only goofed around with the EQ in the loop of the D-Moll, Hagen and VH4 for shits'n'giggles, honestly, they were just there to test drive the pedal(s). And when I throttled them, they were flashing "clipping" at line level, so, no big - I wasn't aiming on making them "perma-dangles" off my amps. I don't muck around too much at all whatsoever with my Diezels - no GEQ - no dirt/ODs - nada - I've found the sweetspot on all of them at all levels of volume that simply doesn't require any extra tweaks. That said - EFFECTS!!!!; too many FX (which again I try to really keep to a minimum) can bleed the tone or signal when placed in front and this is where I found the MXRs to really assist in cleaning things up. I've also found them to be great "boosts" to clean channel playing on a number of different amps to add a little sparkle or oomph if the song structure so desires it on the fly. It's right there on tap - I like that.

Ya, killer GEQs for sure - like I said, I own a couple now cuz they're just that good. Now, in the context of your initial post - I've only goofed around with the EQ in the loop of the D-Moll, Hagen and VH4 for shits'n'giggles, honestly, they were just there to test drive the pedal(s). And when I throttled them, they were flashing "clipping" at line level, so, no big - I wasn't aiming on making them "perma-dangles" off my amps. I don't muck around too much at all whatsoever with my Diezels - no GEQ - no dirt/ODs - nada - I've found the sweetspot on all of them at all levels of volume that simply doesn't require any extra tweaks. That said - EFFECTS!!!!; too many FX (which again I try to really keep to a minimum) can bleed the tone or signal when placed in front and this is where I found the MXRs to really assist in cleaning things up. I've also found them to be great "boosts" to clean channel playing on a number of different amps to add a little sparkle or oomph if the song structure so desires it on the fly. It's right there on tap - I like that.
Gotcha. I just try to do as little as tap dancing as I can and use the Midi Ground Control more so I can dial in Parallel's on or off and the channel inserts on and off. I kept the MXR EQ with a volume at 0 and gain at 0 but also brought them down a tad. The only down side is it for sure makes the high strings loud as fuck for some reason lol. like the ring our very bright and loud. But then again I am running an MXR chorus in he channel insert of channel 1.

Back