ESP Custom Shop Horizon 3 (Kiso Factory)

JKingV2

Hello all! Man, I got bit by the ESP bug bad while I was stationed in Japan for three years and when I came back, had to have a few. I just picked this piece up used off Reverb.com.. Says it was made for Gavin Rossdale while he was doing Institute (side project post Bush era). The guy I bought it from says he bought it from a shop that was selling it on consignment on behalf of Rossdale. No way to confirm yet, but who cares, this thing is killer and says on the back it’s a custom. My question is, what does anyone know about these Kiso made customs in terms of quality compared to other custom shops. I mean I can’t imagine ESP would allow their Custom Shop logo on a guitar that was poorly made or using crappy components. This thing has Gotoh locking tuners, TonePros fixed bridge, maple neck thru with what looks to be a one piece quartersawn neck and mahogany wings, ebony fretboard with MOP dots and ESP logo at the 12th fret, and bookmatched or not (it looks pretty close to me) the top is stunning. I don’t know I’ve seen a maple top sunburst as nice as this one and I’ve seen a lot. Anyhow, just curious what all y’alls take on these Kiso customs is. I’ve seen Kiso Customs going for 3 to 4 even 5 grand and some 1400-1800 bucks. So the used pricing and values seem a little all over the place. Any have any insight?

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 1,231
  • IMG_1851.jpg
    IMG_1851.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,214
  • IMG_1849.jpg
    IMG_1849.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,162
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • IMG_1852 copy.jpg
    IMG_1852 copy.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • IMG_1850.jpg
    IMG_1850.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,167
Yeah I remember seeing that guitar. Obviously I can't confirm but I think it is legit.

I'm not expert on ESP but from what I have seen the Kiso's are highly regarded.

It's legit, that company sells a lot of consignments for artists. Kiso is just one of the custom shops, they both are equally as impeccable. Nice score man!

Hey man! I was the guy who initially bought the guitar from Gavin, via the consignment music store. The guitar was one of two that Gavin had during his tenure in the band ‘Institute’. I sold it on Reverb, so I’m assuming you bought it from me. I own two Custom shop Vipers, also made in the Kiso factory. Kiso stuff is absolutely flawless. I’m a bit finicky about guitars without pickguards, just based upon my picking technique. Otherwise, I would have kept it. That’s an amazing guitar man. Kiso stuff is as good as anything out there in my opinion. Enjoy the guitar!

This was part of the Horizon custom series.
Only made for a few (3?) years and there aren't many of those floating around.
One of the only H-IIIs in that combo (fixed bridge, mahogany back, flamed maple top, ebony board).
I have one and they are great.
I think you got an amazing guitar for a great price.
Plus it was Gavins.
Congrats!

To severinsteel: thanks for the info! I could care less if Gavin owned it or not, I love the damn thingy and haven’t been able to put it down. I have an ESP USA Eclipse and prefer the Horizon. I’m just always interested in the back stories of my guitars.

It definitely seems like a unique combination, but it’s what I’ve been looking for like forever.. a maple neck thru (one piece, quartersawn, not 3 piece) with mahogany wings and a flame maple top and I hate Floyds so this axe has it all for me and ESP is my favorite guitar brand so yea, this thing is perfect!

Back