Even Joe Bonamassa has issues with TGP....

daver101

I woke up to find this on my facebook page from Joe Bonamassa today:

"Honesty the people on the Gear Page need to chill out on slagging me. I am tired of people taking cheap shots. It especially seems to come from that blog. Here is my advice.. put a band together.. Tour and walk a mile in my shoes.. Oh thats right.. you cant because you just talk and not do really much of anything positive. I don't mean to put down all the folks there just the morons who take cheap shots."

there's good and bad everywhere. joe b rips and has great tone.

this place is 80's rock to me which brings cool folks from my generation, but also some HC rude attitude which i think started out as honest to goodness 100 mile and hour full speed ahead don't give a crap rock and roll which i get comes with the high gain thing, but morphs into i hate everything mean spirited crap which i can live without

tgp is touchy feely boutique land which i love as well, and some seriously cool people too, but a lot of "i own thi$ new amp everyone is curious about but no one can afford therefore i am now the world leader on opinion of it although can't play kumbaya right -meets- butt patting/great job playing that mediocre tone and lame lick through your 15k rig. i'm all for encouragement and being positive but i also shoot straight and become simon cowell if you're looking for my opinion

huge racks is more rack gear chat and i love that too. italoop is my new rack hero! but sometimes all that techo talk is too much like work for me or reminds me of those painful hours programming rack gear.

in the end we are lucky to have these resources to learn from and investigate new technology on.

Good for Joe... The guy outclasses the entire populace of TGP so badly that it isnt even worth mentioning. There are a few decent players there but as Pat mentioned, most of them think that they can buy their way into the club so to speak. We are then forced to listen to one of these self appointed know it all jagoffs fumble through a Robben Ford Lick with less dexterity and feel than a 15yr old trying to unhook a bra strap.

I see this place as more of a melting pot than having an 80's concentration but thats just me..

Kage

Hats off to Joe, i got bant from TGP about 1.5 years ago debating "medical marijuana" with potheads for prop 19, Peterson labeled me as a "troll" eh no sleep lost, i seemed to piss someone off every week over there.

Anyhue, i was at my local Vintage shop 3 weeks ago, i took my Friedman JMP so the shop owner could jam on it, he loved the amp, after 25 minutes i was about to pull the plug to get him off my amp :LOL: :LOL: Anyway there was this guy up there, said he was a Lawyer, had in his hands an original Arbiter Fuzz he just bought, said he was gonna sell it on TGP, then for the next 10 minutes began telling me in detail how he always PM's S. Peterson to have people bant on TGP, [true story]. :doh:

I don't visit TGP. But, why would anyone slag Joe? Not that he is anyone I would spend much time listening to, but he is an accomplished musician and has earned some respect.

Steve

charveldan":2kum8e7f said:
Hats off to Joe, i got bant from TGP about 1.5 years ago debating "medical marijuana" with potheads for prop 19, Peterson labeled me as a "troll" eh no sleep lost, i seemed to piss someone off every week over there.

Anyhue, i was at my local Vintage shop 3 weeks ago, i took my Friedman JMP so the shop owner could jam on it, he loved the amp, after 25 minutes i was about to pull the plug to get him off my amp :LOL: :LOL: Anyway there was this guy up there, said he was a Lawyer, had in his hands an original Arbiter Fuzz he just bought, said he was gonna sell it on TGP, then for the next 10 minutes began telling me in detail how he always PM's S. Peterson to have people bant on TGP, [true story]. :doh:

you should have asked him if that face face would fit up his ass sideways..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

steve_k":3g9e9l0l said:
I don't visit TGP. But, why would anyone slag Joe? Not that he is anyone I would spend much time listening to, but he is an accomplished musician and has earned some respect.

Steve
My guess is they slag Joe because HE has what they don't.....talent, career, sig gear, fame, fortune, ect.......... ;)

I just thought it was interestiing. JB posts alot of bitches and gripes through FB, Twitter, etc. I think he holds a grudge pretty easily.

I was going to see him this week with BCC, but thought the $70 admission price was a little steep.

daver101":1kpr428v said:
I woke up to find this on my facebook page from Joe Bonamassa today:

"Honesty the people on the Gear Page need to chill out on slagging me. I am tired of people taking cheap shots. It especially seems to come from that blog. Here is my advice.. put a band together.. Tour and walk a mile in my shoes.. Oh thats right.. you cant because you just talk and not do really much of anything positive. I don't mean to put down all the folks there just the morons who take cheap shots."
I post there pretty frequently but I'm tiring of the vibe there. All those people slamming him are probably the same people posting about how they're spending $10k on ridiculous gear trying to "nail" his tone.

Dont get me wrong, there are some really nice people on TGP - some who I'm actually indebted to for the knowledge they've offered me. But this is the overwhelming vibe I get from it:

news_198.jpg

With 70k+ members at TGP, there is bound to be quite a few immature and foolish people. But I don't think it is appropriate to use Joe B's comments as fodder to slag TGP too. The reality about Joe B is that he has priced his concerts above what many can afford.
I can't afford to see him anymore.

We all have certain preferences about tone. JB likes his tone, I think is has a bit too much midrange. I like crystal clear clean tones, JB uses his volume knob for hairy cleans. JB loves LP's, I can't stand them. Are those comments considered slagging? Then, I guess I'm guilty...

I met him at the LA Amp show and he was a perfect gentleman. I admire his success and wish him more. But, He is who he is because of his drive. He has his unique voice and I am glad for him. But, his voice and style are not MY voice and style. I am not going to attempt to copy him, nor am I going to stop offering constructive criticism either...

If that is considered slagging, then I guess I will go hide in my cave before the sun comes out and I turn to stone...

fusionbear":1koqpsgl said:
With all due respect, I feel that comment is silly after taking a quick glance at the gear in your signature.

I don't necessarily agree with JB's post. And I don't post on TGP enough to have an opinion. I do believe, from his post and other posts he's made in the past, that he builds grudges easily and gets butthurt quite a bit. Even comments he's made on stage about how few people were there to see him last time he was in town kinda lead me to believe he's keeping score.

I like his playing and even his singing. I wanted to go see BCC on Monday, but didn't feel the $70 ticket price was justified. I am going to EJ when he comes to town - for $20.

daver101":1u98nmos said:
I don't necessarily agree with JB's post. And I don't post on TGP enough to have an opinion. I do believe, from his post and other posts he's made in the past, that he builds grudges easily and gets butthurt quite a bit. Even comments he's made on stage about how few people were there to see him last time he was in town kinda lead me to believe he's keeping score.

I like his playing and even his singing. I wanted to go see BCC on Monday, but didn't feel the $70 ticket price was justified. I am going to EJ when he comes to town - for $20.
Butthurt - that's funny, never heard that term before.

Ticket prices aren't his doing, though. He gained popularity and the promoters so an opportunity to make a buck so they took it.

Butthurt - that's funny, never heard that term before.

Ticket prices aren't his doing, though. He gained popularity and the promoters so an opportunity to make a buck so they took it.[/quote]

I know that's out of his hands to a large degree. It's a shame too, because I think a lower price would open up his audience. BCC is a great band. Two really strong CD's so far.

Just to be on the record, I'm a big JB fan. I think I have all of his CD's and DVD's.

Lublin":17p1dsje said:
fusionbear":17p1dsje said:
With all due respect, I feel that comment is silly after taking a quick glance at the gear in your signature.

I got most of my gear several years ago. in 2009' I was layed-off and sold about 50K of gear and other things just to stay afloat. I found work in 2010', but now make 1/3 of my previous salary. The days of 100K+ salaries plus bonuses won't be back for a long time in my industry. I have a house, four kids (one in college), my wife stays home with the kids and we live in Southern California. At my current income, we are in the "poverty" bracket. I do amp repair on the side to supplement my income. So just about any concert over $50.00 a ticket is out of reach for me these days. Most venues also charge for parking around here, so add another $13.00 per car. Drinks and food? Forget about it...

Back