Famous guitarist & what gear they used threads

EXPcustom

Ok I decided to make a basic outline of how "My favorite Guitarist and what amps did he use on my favorite album?" threads always go down. Like no joke this is how they go down over 99% of the time.

I know most of you are tired of Cantrell, Adam Jones, Deleo or EVH and what gear they used on your favorite album threads but I noticed an uncanny formula or format as to how these threads go:

1. Thread always starts with a fanboy asking what gear/amps/guitars his favorite artist used on his favorite album.

2. First two to five post are usually very vague but usually point in the right direction. Like they will get the make but not the model of the amp right. No idea why people post when they really don't have a clue as to exact make and model of the gear but it never fails.

3. Usually one or two posters state that the tone of the album or guitarist suck so who cares.

4. Then someone shotgun posts every single amp/guitar manufacturer that the artist used over a 30 year career but is never specific about exact models, years or specs.

5. One or two people than post that they have no idea what the artist used on that album but agree that it was a monster tone.

6. One poster will make a post stating that they know what gear it is and that it is very expensive and won't really clarify as to what they know other than they can't afford the gear which they seem to be upset about.

7. Another person then will post that they can get the same tone or sound by using low cost Epiphones or off the shelf DOD pedals or a cheap Line 6 modeling amp. As this is all the poster owns and is all the poster knows when it comes to tone but they won't disclose this.

8. Next guy will say that the engineer and producer are the ones that made the tone and gear had nothing to do with it. Only thing that was important was the mic technique and mixing. They will usually name the producer by name once or twice in their post.

9. Someone will then state a totally off the wall amp or guitar that was never ever used by the artist and is a 100% wrong but they just felt compelled to post on a topic they know nothing about.

10. Person will correct the off the wall posters comment but not add much more to the topic.

11. At this point we're probably at 2 pages so you will have at least two posters stating that tone is in the hands so don't waste your money on gear as you should be searching for your own tone not someone elses.

12. Someone will compliment the producer again.

13. After the thread has died down a true fanboy will bump it answering the OP's original question down to not only the guitar and amp but what cables and picks they used. Usually six months to two years after the start of the thread.

14. Once again the tone is in the hands guy will rear their ugly head again to remind the OP that now he has the information he sought but it's really not what he wanted. This poster is usually right 90% of the time because lessons would have paid off better than the expensive gear he wants to buy to emulate his favorite artist.

Hope this helps clarify to some forum newbies how these threads go down and how we do it.

Most of these threads' answers can be found in a search of Rigtalk....whenever I needed anything info-wise before I joined here, I googled the subject and added Rigtalk to the phrase...I always found at least 2 threads on the subject. So I joined. There's more good info here in the threads of old than any search of any other forum; except maybe HRI but that's down at the moment.

OP I do agree on your summary. Lol

I was always more interested in what an artist used live in order to get the studio magic as close as possible... lets face it, a peavey bandit sounds awesome in the studio- I know from experience!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That’s some funny shit, right there! You’ve definitely done your homework! :thumbsup:
#15 should say: Don’t worry about what Joe Blow uses, get your own fucking tone! :D

lespaul6":3jdjkauo said:
I was always more interested in what an artist used live in order to get the studio magic as close as possible... lets face it, a peavey bandit sounds awesome in the studio- I know from experience!

OK #7

JK HAHA

EXPcustom":1aghza48 said:
13. After the thread has died down a true fanboy will bump it answering the OP's original question down to not only the guitar and amp but what cables and picks they used. Usually six months to two years after the start of the thread.

:LOL: :LOL:

yep bang on ... although you left out the part where every just continues to quote every single comment in their reply so each post slowly gets longer to scroll past because there are 25 full quotes to scroll past to actually get to the 1 sentence comment ..... does my head in :doh:

That is where after playing for 45 years I still say tone / sound / whatever is in the hands. Not starting a riot please. I played the same 50watt nm marshall half stack for 15 years greenbacks and mxr microamp. Esp strat headstock with a JB. You wouldn't believe the people that would play through that rig and say how do you make it so distorted or how do you keep it from feedbacking? Id say it`s all in the right hand and they would look at me like I was crazy. LOL

Back