Fender Strat recommendations?

KentC

Being a metalhead for so many years I feel that I've really acquired alot of knowledge and experience about guitars and amps in that genre. However over the last couple years I've been REALLY itching for a good Strat. I love some of those tones that Ive been hearing for years that only a strat seems to deliver. Im a huge John Mayer fan and love that type of tone. Problem is that I know NOTHING about Fenders and Strats at all. I've never had an interest in them, so I haven't spent as many hours researching and playing on Strats as I have other guitars. I have no idea on where to start when it comes to looking for a good one. I tried looking on Fenders site but was a little overwhelmed. 50's, 60's, 70's, American, standard, Elite..... whats the difference!?

I guess maybe if I describe what I'm looking for, then maybe it might help a little. Even though I'm a John Mayer fan, I gotta admit, the demos ive heard of his signature model have not left me feeling very impressed. The pickups sound a little cold and scooped for my liking. I think thats by design with those Big Dipper pickups from what I've read. But having never owned or played a strat all that much, I can still instantly pick out THAT sound. I love that bright, sparkly single coil sound. But I guess that may have more to do with the choice of pickups rather than the guitar itself? Almost all strats I have looked up seem to be made with Alder, so Im guessing thats the go-to wood for a strat sound? Again, I''m totally ignorant here...

Which bridge works better? The majority of strats ive seen have the standard 5 screw bridge, but ive also seen alot with the two post floating looking bridge. Does one have more of an advantage over another? Is one's tuning stability better than the other? Im not really concerned if it's made in Mexico or america, just as long as its well put together.

So what might be a good series / model to start with? Are they like buying a Les Paul where you can find one thats a hit, and the next one that was made next in line, on the same line, on the same day, by the same employees just quite as nice?? I'd prefer to buy new and would go as much as $1000. So im not really looking for a budget model, but not looking to go custom shop. I just want to get "that" sound and have a well playing strat without having to break that bank.

And without getting to much off topic, what non metal amp do you strat players usually play your strats through to really let the sound of the guitar really shine though? I was looking at Fenders amps as well, and again, no idea what is what. I played through a Fender Twin a couple times and loved the sound, but it was just too loud. Would be nice to find something a little more manageable to pair a nice Strat with without going down the Two Rock rabbit hole or something.

So,,, any suggestions?

Around that price range I think the Eric Johnson Strat is one of the best ones being produced. If possible I'd hit a Guitar Center in Cleveland or maybe a local shop to check out this model and other Strats. For me the EJ neck profile and feel is outstanding, plus the build quality is top notch.

As it relates to amps, how much and specifically what tones/style of music are you wanting to play?

For picking a Strat, best bet is to go to Guitar Center or wherever and play every single Strat they have in your price range. Don't worry about the wood types: just pick the one that sounds best. Very good chance it won't be the most expensive one there.

A two point trem is a bit easier to set up IMHO if you want a floating trem. But I prefer the 6-screw. For whatever reason its always seemed sturdier to me.

To me, it's Strat + Marshall. Whether clean or dirty, that's the tone I want. But otherwise, the Fender Deluxe Reverb or Hot Rod is a good place to start.

Halen":3487f805 said:
Around that price range I think the Eric Johnson Strat is one of the best ones being produced. If possible I'd hit a Guitar Center in Cleveland or maybe a local shop to check out this model and other Strats. For me the EJ neck profile and feel is outstanding, plus the build quality is top notch.

As it relates to amps, how much and specifically what tones/style of music are you wanting to play?

I've heard alot of people mention the EJ strat before. Devin Townsend said that he played an EJ model on the Ki album and the tones on that album are great! How is the neck profile though compared to other models though? I have also read others comments about how they had one and couldnt gel with it. I'd still like to get my hands on one to find out for myself.

As far as the amp goes, just whatever has the best clean sound. Ive got the heavy stiff covered, but I wouldnt mind having an amp thats just single channel and just for cleans. Im just wanting to see what sounds and tones I could come up with on my own. So far id have to say that some of my favorite tones ive heard would be these:

Im pretty sure the Opeth songs are strats. Sounds like one, but I could be wrong there.

cardinal":n9mz235q said:
For picking a Strat, best bet is to go to Guitar Center or wherever and play every single Strat they have in your price range. Don't worry about the wood types: just pick the one that sounds best. Very good chance it won't be the most expensive one there.

A two point trem is a bit easier to set up IMHO if you want a floating trem. But I prefer the 6-screw. For whatever reason its always seemed sturdier to me.

To me, it's Strat + Marshall. Whether clean or dirty, that's the tone I want. But otherwise, the Fender Deluxe Reverb or Hot Rod is a good place to start.

Whatever trem is more stable is probably what I'll gravitate to. I dont use the tremlo for anything so it's just going to stay in place anyway.

Do the Hot Rod and Deluxe models share the same clean channel between them? I've heard the dirty on the Hot Rod and probably would never touch it. Just wondering in case one is cheaper than the other and could save a few bucks.

If you're going to deck the trem (so it doesn't float), you'll probably be happier with the 6-screw trem.

They are different amps. The Deluxe Reverb is legendary, but the Hot Rod sounds good and is cheaper. GC should have some to test out.

I'm a big metalhead as well and picked up an American Strat a few months ago. The one thing I'll say is rather than trying to make a "all-in-one" strat, where you can do cleans, hard rock, etc., just let the strat be that go to for certain tones. The only reason I say that is because it isn't really a metal type guitar. That is not saying it can't do that type of music, but there are obviously better tools for that.

romanianreaper":1t27mmf3 said:
I'm a big metalhead as well and picked up an American Strat a few months ago. The one thing I'll say is rather than trying to make a "all-in-one" strat, where you can do cleans, hard rock, etc., just let the strat be that go to for certain tones. The only reason I say that is because it isn't really a metal type guitar. That is not saying it can't do that type of music, but there are obviously better tools for that.

That's pretty much my goal with it. I've got all kinds of other guitars that have the metal stuff covered. I'm wanting a Strat as my other guitar for non metal stuff and clean playing. No rock or metal.

KentC":3j50e6yl said:
romanianreaper":3j50e6yl said:

That's pretty much my goal with it. I've got all kinds of other guitars that have the metal stuff covered. I'm wanting a Strat as my other guitar for non metal stuff and clean playing. No rock or metal.

I'm getting a Seymour Duncan "Classic" prewired pickguard put in mine as we speak. Basically got a used American Strat for a great price and then paid for the pickguard so should be a quieter single-coil solution. :)

romanianreaper":1dwk7xem said:
KentC":1dwk7xem said:
romanianreaper":1dwk7xem said:

I'm getting a Seymour Duncan "Classic" prewired pickguard put in mine as we speak. Basically got a used American Strat for a great price and then paid for the pickguard so should be a quieter single-coil solution. :)

What do you find better about the Duncans over the stock fender stuff? Was it just the hum issue or do you find the overall sound to just be better?

Amp: Deluxe Reverb with a WGS-ET65 or Celestion G12-65. For the Mayer tones get a "dumble" style pedal, I'd steer towards a J Rocket "The Dude" or Mad Professor Simble OD or Simble preamp.

Strat: Used you're going to get the best bang for your buck. I like the older American version (90-2000's) with the 2 point trem $500-900. Like others have said I'd go play some in person. Neck shape varies on a lot of the same model. MIM or US are great strats and much more dependent on the setup. If you're looking at used the 80's Japan strats are some of my favs.

For an amp, I bought two. A silver face Pro Reverb (smaller twin) and put 2 old Jensens in it and had it black faced, and a Rivera era Concert head for overdrive tones through a 2x12 cab with a variety of speakers going in and out of it.

KentC":3f63q665 said:
romanianreaper":3f63q665 said:
KentC":3f63q665 said:
romanianreaper":3f63q665 said:

What do you find better about the Duncans over the stock fender stuff? Was it just the hum issue or do you find the overall sound to just be better?

This will be my first go around with replacement single coils but heard good things.

Back