First deer of the season this a.m

The back of my property. I don’t hunt anymore though. We put shell corn and carrots out for them every early evening.

IMG_1013.jpeg

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0923.jpeg

IMG_0776.jpeg

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

20220721_180423.jpeg

IMG_0085.jpeg

Some beautiful pics there @CRAIG4FSU

Some of those racks would look great hanging from my porch.
Everybody and their brother says the same thing when they see those pics. “Dude, use a crossbow so your wife won’t hear!”. I’ve got one. “Use a suppressed AR15”. I’ve got several. She will know. I swear to God she will. Then I’ll be jerking off AND sleeping in the guest room for 3 months. I’ve told her until Marshall Law and we’re hungry, your deer are safe from me.

I’ve counted as many as 17 at one time out there.

Last edited:
Everybody and their brother says the same thing when they see those pics. “Dude, use a crossbow so your wife won’t hear!”. I’ve got one. “Use a suppressed AR15”. I’ve got several. She will know. I swear to god she will. Then I’ll be jerking off AND sleeping in the guest room for 3 months. I’ve told her until Marshall Law and we’re hungry, your deer are safe from me.

I’ve counted as many as 17 at one time out there.
My wife would be pretty mad at me if I didn't shoot some deer. She likes venison as much as I do. She makes A LOT of venison tacos over the course of a year. I like to grind enough burger and chop enough fajita/stew meat to make it until the next season.

You got me beat. I am maxed out at 13 deer at once but I did have one day when I had a half dozen 8 point plus bucks come through at once. My dogs jaw was on the floor watching out the window so I had to get up and see what he was amazed by.

On a morning stroll out back one morning I heard crashing through the woods and there were two bucks back there with locked horns. I wasn't sure they were gonna be able to break but they did and the bigger buck went chasing after the smaller one. Another morning I went for my walk back there and two tiny little bambis stood up and tried to scramble off with mom. I think that was there first moment standing, as I had disturbed them shortly after being born early that morning. I don't even think they had stood up yet. Pretty amazing though.

I still really need to bag my first squealer. I really want some wild pig meat this year to mix with deer burger=killer sausage.

@VonBonfire No bag limit in Georgia. Two guys I work with bought $6K scopes and hunt at local farms at night. I want to go, but not at those prices.
I was thinking about one of the Fenix game lights. Has a green and a red LED and a lot of throw for hunting fields and such. I could set up a feeder with a green light but that's more stuff to maintain. Corn ain't very cheap anymore either.

It's illegal as hell to bait deer, run dogs or hunt at night around here. No reason to either. If you can't kill a deer around here you're definitely the one to blame.

I was drinking my coffee this morning when a nice 8 or 10 point buck came strolling into the field from the woods. Ran upstairs and grabbed my rifle and racked a round in the chamber. I did that indoors and the buck still alerted to the sound of the rifle from about 40 yards and ducked behind the garden. I tried to creep in on him but he was moving off the property northward to quickly. Wasn't able to get a clean shot off. Dang! Was a nice buck too. I need one more big deer or a couple more dog sized does and I should have all the meat I need. Ten days left on the special late season.....

I was drinking my coffee this morning when a nice 8 or 10 point buck came strolling into the field from the woods. Ran upstairs and grabbed my rifle and racked a round in the chamber. I did that indoors and the buck still alerted to the sound of the rifle from about 40 yards and ducked behind the garden. I tried to creep in on him but he was moving off the property northward to quickly. Wasn't able to get a clean shot off. Dang! Was a nice buck too. I need one more big deer or a couple more dog sized does and I should have all the meat I need. Ten days left on the special late season.....
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Those rules don't apply to hogs I don't think.
They don't as far as I know, we only shoot hogs at night here, its a waste of time to try to get them in daylight unless they have been contained.
We run Thermal NV and suppressed 308's, but they still react to the initial shots, and the bolt cycling the round. Been working on some subsonic rounds but haven't got them where we want them yet. Got a Q Thunder Chicken suppressor coming that should be better than my current 2 suppressor's, but to get really quiet we will still have to go subsonic. We are testing some RMR 73g bullets to run in AR15's too, they have been promising if we can get the powder charges right. The right powder and right amount of it seems to be the most critical aspect of it. We have tested 9 types so far and are still trying to get the numbers right. Any of the normal powders we run seem to burn a bit too fast. We are now testing 3 that the Pro hog hunters are running for subsonic rounds.
The cavity back bullets I had a thread on elsewhere in here do NOT like to run subsonic, but are absolutely devastating at normal velocities.
They don't stabilize well at all under 1080 fps, so that was a waste of time. A rather expensive one too....
F'ing hogs....

Bagging a deer right from your porch sounds like a sweet setup. I'm not much of a hunter myself, but your post got me curious about jerky recipes. Share your go-to if you can, I might give it a shot.

Bagging a deer right from your porch sounds like a sweet setup. I'm not much of a hunter myself, but your post got me curious about jerky recipes. Share your go-to if you can, I might give it a shot.
I'm still experimenting but thanks for asking. I just whip up a brine using water, salt and brown sugar with any of the other spices I want and let very thinly sliced meat soak in it for a couple days before tossing it on the smoker. I have live oak so that's what I use, wood wise. The key is a sharp knife and thin slices and not oversalting the brine. Worse case scenario if you smoke it right it will be bland but if you over salt it will be inedible.

Back