Floyd big block question

nevusofota

I’m looking to add Floyd Roses’ big brass block (37mm) to an original Floyd Rose (Hot Rod model). Will it limit the range of motion when pulling up on the bar compared to the standard block? Is it common practice to have to enlarge the body route to accommodate the larger block?

I am putting together a partscaster using an MJT Strat body routed for an original FR.

Yes, it will likely cut down on your pull up range. If you seek to do 2 1/12 step Vai pull ups then this will not be a good idea. But, I think many people might just block it off for down only giving you better tone and stability with that big block. Removing more wood is probably going to sacrifice tone, which is kind of why you seek an improved block in the first place, so I don't like that idea

Yes, I have a project Kramer Focus that is a strat body. I put a big block on it and it cut down drastically the amount that I could pull up. I had to shave the cavity to make it work.

The fat brass blocks direct from Floyd add 5mm total (2.5mm on each side) to a standard OFR block. So you'll lose a little movement each way in some cases, but how much you lose varies from guitar brand to guitar brand depending on their route shapes since they aren't all the same. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

PBGas":3hxrq0z6 said:
That looks like a great setup! Post it up when completed!
I definitely will. I just finished the neck with tint and nitro. Was going for an aged headstock look. The shaft of the neck is oil and wax similar Musicman necks. I also finished the heel to decrease the amount of moisture transfer with the wood. FB is ebony with 6100 SS frets. Aged clay dots with Lumiglow side dots. I have everything just need to order the Floyd. I hope to have it completed within the next few weeks.

XSSIVE":1zikukbo said:
The fat brass blocks direct from Floyd add 5mm total (2.5mm on each side) to a standard OFR block. So you'll lose a little movement each way in some cases, but how much you lose varies from guitar brand to guitar brand depending on their route shapes since they aren't all the same. Only way to know for sure is to try it.
Thanks for the info! As you said. I’m just going to order the larger block and see how it feels. I can always take a Dremmel to the route if I need the bar to pull up a little more.

I like the deeper brass blocks I get on my gotohs. I usually get between 4-6mm deeper and brass. I still get wicked range or trem which is very important to me. A little more sustain but can still get between five and seven semitones of pull up. Vai specs this on some jems. I know it sounds weird, but I like a lot of range. YMMV, IME, IMO, ETC.

swamptrashstompboxes":34i686oo said:
I like the deeper brass blocks I get on my gotohs. I usually get between 4-6mm deeper and brass. I still get wicked range or trem which is very important to me. A little more sustain but can still get between five and seven semitones of pull up. Vai specs this on some jems. I know it sounds weird, but I like a lot of range. YMMV, IME, IMO, ETC.
I like the range too. What’s a “deeper” brass block?

nevusofota":363ea3f2 said:
PBGas":363ea3f2 said:
That looks like a great setup! Post it up when completed!
I definitely will. I just finished the neck with tint and nitro. Was going for an aged headstock look. The shaft of the neck is oil and wax similar Musicman necks. I also finished the heel to decrease the amount of moisture transfer with the wood. FB is ebony with 6100 SS frets. Aged clay dots with Lumiglow side dots. I have everything just need to order the Floyd. I hope to have it completed within the next few weeks.

Nicely done! You have excellent taste in neck specs! :rock:

There is an easy solution that manufacturers are too stupid to notice. The could easily offset the mount holes either forward or backwards to compensate for the pull up or push down.

That said, I fell into the hype of big brass blocks, Titanium blocks, etc. I just use the regular old stock block these days.

I don't know anything about the big block, but I love the look of that guitar. And I dig how you are only using the one tone and one volume so there's no knob 2mm from the bridge pup. I'm surprised I don't see that more often.

psychodave":27pojpox said:
There is an easy solution that manufacturers are too stupid to notice. The could easily offset the mount holes either forward or backwards to compensate for the pull up or push down.

That said, I fell into the hype of big brass blocks, Titanium blocks, etc. I just use the regular old stock block these days.
I never tried the pricey Titanium, but you think the big brass block is all hype?
I felt like it added a lot of girth and sustain. It also softened the attack a bit, so I probably won't try it again anytime soon. I do feel like it makes a significant change in tone though, mostly positive

I like brass. Haven't tried a ton of fancy metals, but I have always been happy when putting on a brass block as opposed to what is on there.

In some guitars I preferred the copper block. I do find they increase sustain but sometimes take some hair of the notes. They smooth, round out the tone some. This can be good or bad depending.....

I’ve decided to just go with the standard Floyd block and get to know how it sounds with the guitar. Then after a few months I’ll switch to a bigger brass block and see if I like it. Thanks for all the input.

Back