Floyd Dorkery

'63-Strat

Ok, I know lots of you guys play floyded axes almost exclusively, I've been wanting to setup my SL2H for dive only and add a D-tuna for awhile. Also considering a brass big block. How does the tremolo stopper (like on floydupgrades) compare to the tremol-no? Is the big block really worth it and is it that tough to install this stuff myself? Thanks.

jacksonbday.jpg

'63-Strat":23m12icm said:
Ok, I know lots of you guys play floyded axes almost exclusively, I've been wanting to setup my SL2H for dive only and add a D-tuna for awhile. Also considering a brass big block. How does the tremolo stopper (like on floydupgrades) compare to the tremol-no? Is the big block really worth it and is it that tough to install this stuff myself? Thanks.

jacksonbday.jpg
The big block is worth it!! You can get them for $25 on Ebay. I dont think the D-Tuna will work on that guitar because your body is routed for the trem. I couldnt get the FU trem stopper to work perfect so I'd would say get the Tremol-No.

Just got my first Floyd equipped guitar so I don't have the most experience. But I installed the Tremol-No and I'm really happy with it. Very easy to choose dive only or fully locked once it's in.

Two disclaimers. Check their site and get the one recommended for Floyds. Should be the "pin type". Then go to YouTube and search for their installation video. It is excellent and easy to follow. The included instructions are very wordy with few pictures so the YouTube video is a must.

But I'm happy with it. Great piece of equipment!

DTuna would require you to route out the recessed cavity for it. I have seen a few guitars modified this way, it seems it would be harder to get at the thing to use it though.

The big block would not be technically hard to install, you would have to remove the saddles to get to the screws that hold the block on. Then you would need to re-intonate the beast. That would be the most painful part of the process.

just my personal experience with tremol-no. could not achieve tuning stability. the way the claw part has to be perfectly lined up with the block part was too tricky for me.
for the longest time i couldn't figure out why when ever i would dive the trem, it would return with flat strings. and when i raised the trem and brought it back, the strings would return sharp.
drove me crazy for a long time
then i took out the tremol-no system
and BANG, perfect tuning, like it had been before
there are just too many angles you have to line up perfectly so that there is no friction between the 2 parts.

Let me steer you a tad differently for a second...............

Get ahold of Chubtone and see if he can score more 1984 Floyds in chrome, get some chrome tuners and sell the extra parts on ebay. That guitar with chrome would be great and the 1984 Floyd is a great piece for the price including a big old brass block ande brass fine tuners :thumbsup:

Then get that doodad you're talking about :D

If your goal is to make the Floyd into a dive-only setup, then I would suggest installing the brass block and then installing a wooden stopper shim. The brass block will sit against this in the resting position, which will add some sustain and allows for a d tuner. It makes string changes and some of the other Floyd associated hassles a bit easier, as well. If having the ability to pull up is something that you can (semi) permanently sacrifice, there are no complications with this method... and a few positive side effects.

Yeah I really don't need to pull up. My understanding was that if I set the trem so it's blocked or dive only (via shim or tremstopper/tremolno etc) that I can put a D-tuna on, no? Maybe not.

Nice guitar!!! I have one too. :emofag: :emofag:

I also have a big block and the trem stop. You can use a Dtuna on a recessed Floyd. I had one on my Transparent green for a while. It worked just fine as long as the floyd is not heavily recessed. What I mean is at perfect set up with the tremolo where it should be and string height at 1.5mm at the 12 fret (according to Jackson). Not all of my Jacksons have had the tremolo sit in the body the same. I had one that at the perfect setup the tremolo was actually counter sunk in relation to the body. It was so low it was hard to play, don't know what the hell was wrong with that one but all my other Jacksons, when set up, tremolos seem to set about flush with the body or a smidge higher. The dtuna works just fine in that case. It is a little harder to get at than a non recessed floyd but it does work. A buddy of mine also has one on a recessed floyd Charvel with no issues. Hope that made some sense. :confused:

The brass big block is totally worth the coin imo. Adds sustain and warmth and tone is improved. As stated earlier just make sure you re-intonate after the installation.

CIMG0151.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

Did you improvise that extra nut on the trem stopper? Do they work themselves loose without the extra nut??

I had a Tremol No and took it off. Too complicated to set up, and, it made a strange noise when bending strings and the tremolo moved. Just felt un-natural to me. Now I'm floating, and couldn't be happier.

PS--Love the black SL2's! Classic rock axes! :rock:

ronjhoser":2gib7xgz said:
If your goal is to make the Floyd into a dive-only setup, then I would suggest installing the brass block and then installing a wooden stopper shim. The brass block will sit against this in the resting position, which will add some sustain and allows for a d tuner. It makes string changes and some of the other Floyd associated hassles a bit easier, as well. If having the ability to pull up is something that you can (semi) permanently sacrifice, there are no complications with this method... and a few positive side effects.

this is what I would do.

Your hosed on the D-Tuna unless you want to damage the top of the Floyd recessed route

I was a huge supporter of brass big blocks...until I wasn't. I have come to find that they are a nice improvement on many guitars, but not all guitars. Try one and see if you dig it on your particular axe...if not, it should be easy to sell.

I use a tremstopper and d-tuna on my Jackson PC-1. That has a recessed trem and the D-tuna does clear the body...

Back