Floyd Rose releases Stone Tone granite block

Bob Savage":51p0wxtg said:
Keeping in mind I only have one guitar with the TEK2 and one with the standard hardtail strat bridge, the TEK notes are as many have described, more piano like. Again, cool but I don't that I like it better than the strat style bridge.

More piano like sounds like extended bandwidth, stringier or more note separation. Great for cleans and semi dirty tones, but it sounds like what you're getting at is you may prefer the more focused and forward mid response of a traditional bridge for higher gain tones. Yes ?

sah5150":33eqkep8 said:
Shawn Lutz":33eqkep8 said:
The vibrations through the body and neck are why I've pretty much have just been playing LP's since 2012.

This block sounds promising. I may have to give one a shot since I have an assload of OFR strats/super strats around :)

I'm one of those who thinks if a guitar doesn't feel right, sound right or sustain righ unplugged...it gets put down an never gets plugged in...sustain isn't an electrified thing for me...if you make it sing unplugged it will sing plugged in..just my opinion.

thanks for doin this Steve....I loved the clean tone...the dirt was lacked some mid to bottom end to my ears, a bit top heavy.
No problem - happy to help out with stuff like this. On the tone of the heavy part - I bet it would sound killer in a mix based on my experience with EQing heavy guitars for mixes and soloing them during that process...

Steve

No doubt about it. IMHO that is why JCM/JMP Marshalls cut so well in the mix when you add bass drums.

thegame":wtsybzvg said:
More piano like sounds like extended bandwidth, stringier or more note separation. Great for cleans and semi dirty tones, but it sounds like what you're getting at is you may prefer the more focused and forward mid response of a traditional bridge for higher gain tones. Yes ?

The frequency curve sounds very similar to me. Keeping in mind this just comes from playing both guitars and not doing a real back and forth comparison, the difference feels a little like more natural "saturation" from the strat bridge. In other words, like you said, 2TEK is more piano like. The strat bridge responds more like you expect a guitar to respond with a little more sizzle even acoustically, if that makes sense.

I don't know that I've noticed a difference in sustain.

rupe":1vzcyoba said:
Steve has obviously been bought by the Stone Tone machine ;)
Well... I've been caught.... I was promised a Big Mac Extra Value Meal with large fries and an extra large Coke in exchange for this obvious shilling and I caved to the tastiness. I've never been more ashamed.... Please forgive me... :cry:

Steve

sah5150":1fy4iu4l said:
rupe":1fy4iu4l said:
Well... I've been caught.... I was promised a Big Mac Extra Value Meal with large fries and an extra large Coke in exchange for this obvious shilling and I caved to the tastiness. I've never been more ashamed.... Please forgive me... :cry:

Steve

Dude, I pegged you as more of a Slater's 50/50 guy. Color me somewhat dissappointed.

Bob Savage":3iy00ugm said:
sah5150":3iy00ugm said:
rupe":3iy00ugm said:

Steve

Dude, I pegged you as more of a Slater's 50/50 guy. Color me somewhat dissappointed.
What can I say... I'm just all about the two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun....

Steve

sah5150":37jct4db said:
rupe":37jct4db said:

Steve
My apologies. If I had a nickel for every time I've fallen for the Big Mac trick...

sah5150":2mzd69lg said:
What can I say... I'm just all about the two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun....

Steve

It's difficult to find fault when you put it that way.

Bob Savage":3547gd3y said:
sah5150":3547gd3y said:

Steve

It's difficult to find fault when you put it that way.
See what I'm saying'?

Steve

OK, here is basically the same stuff played with the same guitar/mic/settings, etc. except with the Stone Tone Block instead of the Ti block this time. The only difference in the recording process seems to be that the guitar is not exactly tuned the same:

Dirt and Clean clip of the guitar with the Stone Tone Block

BTW - When I was mixing this on both the heavy and the clean I had to bring the faders down a couple dbs on the tracks to match the volume on the original titanium block clips. So the guitar definitely gets louder with the Stone block... The clean sounds "chimey-er" to me as well.

Thoughts?

Also, here is the original clip of the Ti Block so you don't have to keep flipping pages to get back to it:

Dirt and Clean clip of the guitar with the original Ti Block

Steve

So... after 11 pages of comments and my efforts to record pre- and post block changes, no one has anything to say about the Stone Block clip? Fine then, I'll just take my toys and go home!!! :doh:

Steve :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Well from what I can tell (kinda hard listening to one clip then having to go to the previous page to hear the other) the difference was subtle at best (aside from the feel that you stated). Definitely not a day and night difference like the vid posted by the StoneBlock guy.

messenger":1ybpb4sd said:
Well from what I can tell (kinda hard listening to one clip then having to go to the previous page to hear the other) the difference was subtle at best (aside from the feel that you stated). Definitely not a day and night difference like the vid posted by the StoneBlock guy.
Well, one thing you have to consider is how much I had to bring the faders down on these new tracks to get equal volume to the previous Ti clip once I put the Stone block in, as I mentioned. The guitar is much louder acoustically and through the amp when using the Stone block, that's for sure... Maybe I should have just left it louder? But I thought that would ruin the test as most would just prefer the louder one...

EDIT: I added the Ti clip to my post above on this page with the Stone clip so you don't have to keep flipping thread pages to get back to it like messenger had to...

Steve

My reading comprehension is obviously lacking ;) I missed where u said that you dropped the fader until I reread. That is a major change. It is funny how everyone dropped from the thread after you gave what everyone was asking for.

Thanks for all your work Steve! :rock: it seems to add something 'more' to the tone..is it worth the investment? What do you think?

The TI clip sounds warmer...and I never thought I'd say something like that about a TI block. :) Not that the granite block is without its charm. But I think I'd pick TI in this case, that is, if I had to choose based on clips and not how it sounded to me in person. That plus 2 of my 3 guitars don't have trems at all. :)

messenger":x3h6jwyu said:
My reading comprehension is obviously lacking ;) I missed where u said that you dropped the fader until I reread. That is a major change. It is funny how everyone dropped from the thread after you gave what everyone was asking for.
I know, right? Where'd they all go? :)

Yeah, I had to make major volume drops on the faders to match the two clips...

Steve

Back