Floyd Rose string buzz issue

Could it be something to do with the claw? That's the only part I didn't replace.
If you think that's what it is, you could try a "tone claw" and some low-noise springs..

fLHHeUs.jpg

If you think that's what it is, you could try a "tone claw" and some low-noise springs..

fLHHeUs.jpg
Both my Floyd guitars have these. I bought them not to fix any issues per se, but just to see if they added any tonal improvement with added tuning stability as claimed. Neither guitar had notable tuning issues before but with these installed, things do seem a bit more stable and rock solid. Tonally, it added a touch more hardtail like direct attack and lessened the 'springy' reverb like Floyd artifacts that floating trems usually have. These are about 4 times the weight of a typical claw so they add a bit of mass but not quite in the same way or to the same extent the larger trem blocks do. Got them last year on a Black Friday sale. Thumbs up.

Welp, replaced the whole bridge and the problem is still there. I'm at the end of my wits on this.
Welp, what we now know is that it is NOT the actual bridge.

Your could have your pickup(s) set too high.

Your action could be too low.

Your bridge posts could be loose (yes it happens, though it is fairly rare).

If you have a bolt on neck, could be a loose screw.

Could be your trem springs. Would be mildly surprised if it were the actual claw itself.

I helped a friend with a buzzing Floyd that ended up being the screw collar on the bar. He left it really loose and it added a buzz to the instrument. Who’d have thought…

If none of that pans out, you would look at each component in the chain. I know that you said it happens when fretting the last fret. I had a guitat with a g string “sizzle” due to a loose machine head.

You could have loose/high fret(s).

You could have a warp or twist on the neck.

Could be something at the nut.

Could be your machine heads.

Could even be something with your neck angle.

A lot of the things I mention are long shots. Some are fairly common (e.g. high or loose frets, pickup height, action height). It could simply be that your particular guitar has a wonky resonant frequency that clashes with your ear.

It can be a frustrating process to run down issues like this once the easy things are ruled out. It is a process. It takes time and attention to detail on these tougher to diagnose issues.

You took one single (massive) jump, it did not work, now you are “at your wits end“. You might be better to send the guitar to a tech who really knows Floyds for diagnosis.

Last edited:
Welp, what we now know is that it is NOT the actual bridge.

Your could have your pickup(s) set too high.

Your action could be too low.

Your bridge posts could be loose (yes it happens, though it is fairly rare).

If you have a bolt on neck, could be a loose screw.

Could be your trem springs. Would be mildly surprised if it were the actual claw itself.

I helped a friend with a buzzing Floyd that ended up being the screw collar on the bar. He left it really loose and it added a buzz to the instrument. Who’d have thought…

If none of that pans out, you would look at each component in the chain. I know that you said it happens when fretting the last fret. I had a guitat with a g string “sizzle” due to a loose machine head.

You could have loose/high fret(s).

You could have a warp or twist on the neck.

Could be something at the nut.

Could be your machine heads.

Could even be something with your neck angle.

A lot of the things I mention are long shots. Some are fairly common (e.g. high or loose frets, pickup height, action height). It could simply be that your particular guitar has a wonky resonant frequency that clashes with your ear.

It can be a frustrating process to run down issues like this once the easy things are ruled out. It is a process. It takes time and attention to detail on these tougher to diagnose issues.

You took one single (massive) jump, it did not work, now you are “at your wits end“. You might be better to send the guitar to a tech who really knows Floyds for diagnosis.
I already took it to a tech, who was also stumped.

I have a FR-equipped guitar that has open and fretted string buzz on the G string. The other strings are fine. I took it to a tech to look at and he can't figure out what's wrong with it. I'm at the end of my wits with this guitar... any ideas about how to fix it?
My USA dean far beyond driven ml does it on the high e. I’m gonna mess with it soon to see why.

You can try to change the pickup ring springs. I had an issue with them adding weird noise in the past on one of my guitar. And check the wires from the pickups if they are not too tight and act like a string.

I solved this issue by going with a Kahler. Now all of my strings buzz...

Anyway, you try checking the spring tension? Wound G or plain? Locking nut/locking tuners? Pressing on the G string behind the nut?
Some other suggestions in no particular A.D.D. order:

Try plain G if you're using a wound visa versa.

Check tuning machine screws/collars/buttons are tight mainly if using locking tuners.

Check angle of nut towards the tuner if using non locking nut.

If locking nut, check the screws securing it to the neck are tight.

No cross threading/incorrect pitch/size screws in the nut blocks.

Check nut slot itself for wear.

Sometimes plain G won't get enough pressure from the nut block because it's not clamping/seating evenly due to sharing it with the wound D and wearing unevenly. Try reversing the nut block or swapping it out for the B/E. Going wound or increasing guage along with saddle height may temp solve.

Check string is being wrapped downward on the post and only a few turns.

Try using just two springs on the outer claws if not already.

Back cover/screws removed/loose/tight?

Worn screw hole(s) on the claw?

Bad string batch.

Lesser likely issues; put the string in backwards if using a locking nut. All of them. Tight wiring not interfering with pickups. Pickup pole height if adjustable assuming you've already adjusted the pickup height. Pickup springs. Pickup rings not broke/warped. Truss rod cover tight. Ground wire physical interference with springs/claw.

Finally, play the guitar vertically or upside down. If that works; all you have to do is play the guitar vertically or upside down...

Wait, what were we talking about again?

Back