Fortin cabs

nigelpkay

Anyone pick up one of the Fortin cabinets yet? (1x12, 2x12, 4x12)

Curious for the 4x12s what the difference is (in sound) between front loaded and rear loaded and why one would prefer one over the other.

I just grabbed an impulse of the 4x12 from Ola. I havent tried it. Im interested in the speaker since its UK V30's. The Fortin Creamback cab is my favorite in Two Notes but apparently they dont have plans for Creambacks.

ClintN667":3baa973d said:
I just grabbed an impulse of the 4x12 from Ola. I havent tried it. Im interested in the speaker since its UK V30's. The Fortin Creamback cab is my favorite in Two Notes but apparently they dont have plans for Creambacks.

Where’s it listed these are UK v30s? I thought these were the same off the shelf Chinese v30 speakers/voicing. The only UK v30 versions currently are the Marshall and Mesa OEM speakers as far as I know.

Can anyone comment on what the difference is (in sound) between front loaded and rear loaded and why one would prefer one over the other.

Metlupass2":1slq4vxi said:
ClintN667":1slq4vxi said:
I asked the Fortin page and they said UK V30

Those idiots don't know squat. They believe whatever they're told.

That was the response from Fortin (the company not Mike so it could very well be incorrect)

Fortin could purchase special batch of UK V30 but I’m sure it will be highlighted in PR materials.
But believe or not I had pair or UK V30 from 2016 so everything is possible ?

bubucci":10hsphis said:
Fortin could purchase special batch of UK V30 but I’m sure it will be highlighted in PR materials.

Yeah I would think it would be highlighted a bit more as a selling. I have a Marshall 1936V cab that I got this year and I've never really been a Marshall cab guy but I freaking love this one.

Having said that I dont think the Chinese version is as bad as everyone says. I have one in my KSR 2x12 and I really like the sound I get out of it.

ClintN667":1467g326 said:
bubucci":1467g326 said:

Yeah I would think it would be highlighted a bit more as a selling. I have a Marshall 1936V cab that I got this year and I've never really been a Marshall cab guy but I freaking love this one.

Having said that I dont think the Chinese version is as bad as everyone says. I have one in my KSR 2x12 and I really like the sound I get out of it.

Agreed, Chinese v30s sound pretty good to me honestly. That being said, I am not digging the Fortin Cabs IMO, they just look really bland to me.

It isn’t about the country of manufacture exactly, the standard off the shelf v30 (used in Orange, Bogner, Randall, and I assume Fortin) has a different voicing than the Mesa or Marshall UK made versions/voicings. But look on YouTube for Mesa v30 vs Chinese v30 comparisons, it’s not even close for me in that the standard off-the-shelf V30 is messy/honky in certain frequencies. I.e the low and highs are fuzzy, mids in a different place and sound slightly hollow/scooped. Just my opinion.

nigelpkay":23n6a8mw said:
It isn’t about the country of manufacture exactly, the standard off the shelf v30 (used in Orange, Bogner, Randall, and I assume Fortin) has a different voicing than the Mesa or Marshall UK made versions/voicings. But look on YouTube for Mesa v30 vs Chinese v30 comparisons, it’s not even close for me in that the standard off-the-shelf V30 is messy/honky in certain frequencies. I.e the low and highs are fuzzy, mids in a different place and sound slightly hollow/scooped.

On the Fortin website they show a picture of the Celestion International labelled speakers, which I am pretty sure is associated with the Chinese ones

I don’t know how reliable the sticker on the back is.

Look at the white sticker on the side of the magnet. If it says ‘made in China’ and/or ‘50’ on it, it’s made in China.

If it says ‘made in U.K.’ or ‘Ipswich England’ on it, its made in U.K.

Is anyone gonna answer the OP's question??? LOL!

Why front or rear loaded?

I thought front loaded cabs were generally tighter in bass response for more aggressive/modern styles? Rear loading being rounder? That's what Diezel says anyway.

JerEvil":3de8y0ek said:
I thought front loaded cabs were generally tighter in bass response for more aggressive/modern styles? Rear loading being rounder? That's what Diezel says anyway.

I'd agree. I own a few FL Fryette Fat Bottom cabs and owend a Diezel FL cab and have compared side by side to various RL cabs from Diezel, Bogner, Wizard, Friedman and the like. I had thought about buying a FL Fortin but decided to sell my Cali instead. I wonder how the Fortin compares to the Fryette FB - they look similar. I wonder if any of the design specs were "borrowed" :LOL: :LOL:

mhenson42":2wxfzxuu said:
JerEvil":2wxfzxuu said:

I'd agree. I own a few FL Fryette Fat Bottom cabs and owend a Diezel FL cab and have compared side by side to various RL cabs from Diezel, Bogner, Wizard, Friedman and the like. I had thought about buying a FL Fortin but decided to sell my Cali instead. I wonder how the Fortin compares to the Fryette FB - they look similar. I wonder if any of the design specs were "borrowed" :LOL: :LOL:
C'mon you! LOL!

JerEvil":3538ex67 said:
Is anyone gonna answer the OP's question??? LOL!

Why front or rear loaded?

LOL this is rig-talk after all :LOL: :LOL:
Thanks yeah, Fortin’s site description says the back of the front-loaded cab is sealed shut so I assume tightens up the bass.

I’ve read a prominent builder say there is no difference between front and rear loaded speakers.
It was years later, having trusted his opinion and much of his gear, that I realised his ears were not hearing the nuances.
The difference is significant in my radar dishes.

It is as easy as imagining the difference as it is looking at the speaker positions.
On top, front loaded, the sound is dominated by the speaker cone, right in your face, prominent mids & highs, less bass.
Rear loaded you hear the baffle at work and it is much fuller spectrum, smoother and woodier.

Btw, the new BAD manufactured Soldano 4x12 is rear loaded with V30s, the older version front loaded with Eminence X1000

DeathbyButterslax":30q1uv6i said:
nigelpkay":30q1uv6i said:
It isn’t about the country of manufacture exactly, the standard off the shelf v30 (used in Orange, Bogner, Randall, and I assume Fortin) has a different voicing than the Mesa or Marshall UK made versions/voicings. But look on YouTube for Mesa v30 vs Chinese v30 comparisons, it’s not even close for me in that the standard off-the-shelf V30 is messy/honky in certain frequencies. I.e the low and highs are fuzzy, mids in a different place and sound slightly hollow/scooped.

On the Fortin website they show a picture of the Celestion International labelled speakers, which I am pretty sure is associated with the Chinese ones

Here are pics of UK, it says Celestion international ?
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=209632

Back