Fortin Raped Me

Fortin is probably innocent. But in my quest for the perfect noise gate, I recently purchased a highwind phalanx, and therefore was able to remove the spliff from my pedalboard. I don't know if the buffer was boosting noise or what, but i was trying to dial in the threshold, and wasn't really happy with anything. So I just turned the whole thing off to compare.

The amp I thought was extremely noisy wasn't. So I could go down the line and see if it were the zuul or the spliff not cooperating with my setup, though both worked with my previous amp, but instead, i removed everything but the volume pedal in front and delay in loop.

Pretty fucking nice. I had to raise the preamp gain to accommodate not having any external boost, but the amp sounds full and gorgeous. I just need to do some heavy rhythm work to see if I can pull that shit off without a gate and boost. But so far at 102 decibels, I was able to keep the amp from screaming at me. Later, I will try to blow the glass out of the neighbors windows.

The good news is, if this works, my pedalboard is going to be small as fuck.

I can understand using a noise gate for recording or playing live.... but there are consequences with using them. They change the sound and add noise. I see lots of people incorporate the gates into their sound, and that's great. After trying a bunch of them, I prefer some amp hiss and better tone than silence and worse tone. YMMV. I only keep around a Phalanx...

I was messing with and comparing some different gates yesterday, and I was really noticing how they were messing with the dynamics, punch, and noise. Everything sounded better without any of them, even though not 100% quiet. Also, adding the power supplies were actually causing more hum.

I want to not notice the gate. I hate artifacts. So i may be better without one. We will see. I am happy to have eliminated some noise already
I don't use noise gates but, I am a tanpants level mid gain choad. Even back when I played VH140c's I didn't use one. Don't fear the reaper, don't fear the noise. Or go down the ultimate rabbit hole and find an old Rocktron Guitar Silencer rack.

I always try and ride my gain low enough so I don’t need one, even at obscene volumes. They always take somewhat of a toll on the overall tone.

I always try and ride my gain low enough so I don’t need one, even at obscene volumes. They always take somewhat of a toll on the overall tone.
I have had amps where i was fine until i turned it up a certain amount and then the feedback got nasty, even playing in a different room. Soldano avenger comes to mind. A modded 1987x also. But lots of amps are going to need one with a boost at volume. I will play with it and see how i feel.

I can understand using a noise gate for recording or playing live.... but there are consequences with using them. They change the sound and add noise. I see lots of people incorporate the gates into their sound, and that's great. After trying a bunch of them, I prefer some amp hiss and better tone than silence and worse tone. YMMV. I only keep around a Phalanx...
Agree. Tried a bunch. Hate ‘em. They’re always trying to cut off everything I’m doing.

So i remember the beginning of the thread, but i did not follow it to the end. I remember carlos fritos wanting to stick his center positive in center negative. But i never got to the end.

Give me the cliff notes, but tell me everything
I was going to tell this story using only copy and pasted Linkin Park lyrics, but then, I realized, HOW FUCKING AMAZING THAT WOULD BE AND YALL DEF DO NOT DESERVE THAT TYPE OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL…
According to @Monkey Man I should use my best restraint to not speak the names of @Classic Stones Live @Carlitosfreetos or @HJUSA but suffice it to say one of those names is building amplifiers, using one of the other names who is like maybe still a teenager to “sell” to unsuspecting people such as the third name who still believe a 65 year old German man is building them. If I were to see the one whose name rhymes with “Fartlos” I would probably break his jaw. The other two are elderly and masturbate to pictures of Kip Winger but I refuse to say any of their names. I WILL however say to this forum that the one that is the amplifier “company” thought the best thing to do to sell amplifiers that cost more than anything you’ll find new at GC or Sam Ash was to give free amps to a ten year old “blues prodigy” hoping to lure everyone else in with that endorsement to pay 7 grand for one. That does not seem like it worked out well. I wish everyone involved in that mess the absolute best of luck and if things unfortunately don’t work out I will be starting a barrel company that they can purchase to use as clothing and all wear like the homeless Did in 1929. Except for George Scholz who after like 30 years of friendship turned out to be a soggy floating turd that just won’t flush. I hope he gets a prolapsed anus or something.

Attachments

• IMG_6033.jpeg
    IMG_6033.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 4
I was going to tell this story using only copy and pasted Linkin Park lyrics, but then, I realized, HOW FUCKING AMAZING THAT WOULD BE AND YALL DEF DO NOT DESERVE THAT TYPE OF ATTENTION TO DETAIL…
According to @Monkey Man I should use my best restraint to not speak the names of @Classic Stones Live @Carlitosfreetos or @HJUSA but suffice it to say one of those names is building amplifiers, using one of the other names who is like maybe still a teenager to “sell” to unsuspecting people such as the third name who still believe a 65 year old German man is building them. If I were to see the one whose name rhymes with “Fartlos” I would probably break his jaw. The other two are elderly and masturbate to pictures of Kip Winger but I refuse to say any of their names. I WILL however say to this forum that the one that is the amplifier “company” thought the best thing to do to sell amplifiers that cost more than anything you’ll find new at GC or Sam Ash was to give free amps to a ten year old “blues prodigy” hoping to lure everyone else in with that endorsement to pay 7 grand for one. That does not seem like it worked out well. I wish everyone involved in that mess the absolute best of luck and if things unfortunately don’t work out I will be starting a barrel company that they can purchase to use as clothing and all wear like the homeless Did in 1929. Except for George Scholz who after like 30 years of friendship turned out to be a soggy floating turd that just won’t flush. I hope he gets a prolapsed anus or something.
That was a lot of word vomit. If you were more poetic, it could be my old buddy Dino

Back