Fractal AX8

Interesting. I hadn't ever heard of this thing until just now. Didn't know Fractal made dedicated FX units. Wonder how this compares to the Line6 Helix?

Killer unit imo. The quality of effects are stellar and very tweakable and it allows you to do your amps channel switching. I've been using one for over year now and couldn't be happier.

If my AxeFx-II ever takes a dive, I'm going to get one of these. You can't run two amps at once and there are some other differences but I heard that still has the same quality tones, etc.

It replaced my pedalboard. :rock: This setup just slays.

20161013_201342_1.jpg

Great unit. I've been using mine to gig for awhile now.

Whether it works for you depends on what you need. I wanted a light, easy to set up/tear down rig that has tons of great tones and effects. It sounds great onstage and through the mains. I think you give up a little of the feel and the pant-leg flapping of a real amp but if you can deal with that it's an awesome solution.

I just played a gig with mine last night. AX8 into a Matrix 1U amp through a Mesa 1x12. Perfect for a small stages. AX8 goes into a Gator bag,amp in a 2U soft case. I can carry the amp the AX8 and my guitar in one trip. The models sound really good, same as whats in the AX FX II. I probably prefer a tube amp but in a band mix, it's good enough and the convenience of amp and all effects in one small package makes it worth it to me.

BrokenFusion":8ygrdqn4 said:
I just played a gig with mine last night. AX8 into a Matrix 1U amp through a Mesa 1x12. Perfect for a small stages. AX8 goes into a Gator bag,amp in a 2U soft case. I can carry the amp the AX8 and my guitar in one trip. The models sound really good, same as whats in the AX FX II. I probably prefer a tube amp but in a band mix, it's good enough and the convenience of amp and all effects in one small package makes it worth it to me.

Sometimes for fun I plug my AX8 into the return of my Mark IV and use the amp sims, cabs off of course. But my Mark IV by itself sounds a lot better, the AX8 through the loop sounds a bit scooped, smeared maybe, just lacking edge. Any tweaks you can think of off the top of your head for use with a poweramp. I assume using my return is about the same as using a regular tube poweramp.

Are you shutting off the power amp section of the AX8?

danyeo":1sly1lp4 said:
BrokenFusion":1sly1lp4 said:

Sometimes for fun I plug my AX8 into the return of my Mark IV and use the amp sims, cabs off of course. But my Mark IV by itself sounds a lot better, the AX8 through the loop sounds a bit scooped, smeared maybe, just lacking edge. Any tweaks you can think of off the top of your head for use with a poweramp. I assume using my return is about the same as using a regular tube poweramp.

Are you shutting off the power amp section of the AX8?

I only turn off the cab sims since I'm using a guitar cab. I leave the power amp modeling on but I'm using a solid state amp. I thought it sounded decent through the Mesa return but to many variables to get a consistent sound since the presence control is in play when using the Mark IV return and the level of the channel volume controls and also what channel you were on seemed to change things also. I would try a solid state amp. If I'm using the Mark IV I use the AX8 in 4CM. If I'm only using the AX8 I use the Matix and turn off cab sims.

Freakin' love mine. Really just scratching the surface on it. I'm a little short on cash right now so I think I'm going to try the Alto powered monitor until I recoup a little cash and can buy a Matrix.

So far I just picked a handful of factory patches and tweaked them to my taste. Starting to tinker and look at the available stuff in the user community. It's an impressive piece of gear.

BrokenFusion":229iqn86 said:

I used to have a Matrix 1U. Man, what a great sounding, loud ass amp!!! :) The only reason I got rid of it is because that and two 4x12s are way to much for a guy recording at home....and with two past hernia surgeries. :) Sounded awesome though. I have a Friedman ASM-12 that I absolutely love and use as a "rig" but really as a great monitor while doing recordings, etc.

The sounds of Fractal gear just scratches the surface of this company. Cliff is always on the forums and actually listens to players, etc. The other great thing is his "mad scientist" view as far as amps and tones go. He isn't happy with the idea of tones from an amp into a speaker with the traditional adjustments like treble, bass, etc. He is always thinking about the stuff that most of us completely forget about. Over the years he has added B+Constant, Variac, preamp and power amp tube types, speaker drive, and the list goes on and on. BY themselves, these adjustments can sometimes put a small dent in the sounds you are hearing but trust me, the tones now far exceed what I was hearing when I first bought my unit around 2012.

Love mine. This is from my gig last night. AX8 direct to FOH with two XiTone wedges in stereo on stage behind me setup as backline. One on each side of the drumriser.

victim5150":fnit2huu said:
Love mine. This is from my gig last night. AX8 direct to FOH with two XiTine wedges in stereo on stage behind me setup as backline. One on each side of the drumriser.

you guys are awesome dude.... :rock:

romanianreaper":dqyo7md8 said:
BrokenFusion":dqyo7md8 said:

I used to have a Matrix 1U. Man, what a great sounding, loud ass amp!!! :) The only reason I got rid of it is because that and two 4x12s are way to much for a guy recording at home....and with two past hernia surgeries. :) Sounded awesome though. I have a Friedman ASM-12 that I absolutely love and use as a "rig" but really as a great monitor while doing recordings, etc.

The sounds of Fractal gear just scratches the surface of this company. Cliff is always on the forums and actually listens to players, etc. The other great thing is his "mad scientist" view as far as amps and tones go. He isn't happy with the idea of tones from an amp into a speaker with the traditional adjustments like treble, bass, etc. He is always thinking about the stuff that most of us completely forget about. Over the years he has added B+Constant, Variac, preamp and power amp tube types, speaker drive, and the list goes on and on. BY themselves, these adjustments can sometimes put a small dent in the sounds you are hearing but trust me, the tones now far exceed what I was hearing when I first bought my unit around 2012.

I have a hernia now that I'm living with. Can't get it fixed because I need to get some dental work done, so after I dump a few thousand on my teeth then the knife. As much as I like my Mesa gear the OS4x12 is a BEAST. Like everyone else over 40 I have a few herniated disc's as well in my back and the thought of dragging that cab up and down stairs gives me nightmares. I'd love to try out that Friedman, if it gives me an amp in the room feel I may say goodbye to heavy amps for good. That's a big if though.

Back