Friedman 100 Head with the least amount of upper mids?

thedimwitt

I'm looking for the Friedman Head with the least amount of upper mids, if I'm describing it correctly or the least amount of ear fatigue. I had the BE100 Deluxe and I couldn't seem to dial out the ear fatigue. I have lots of treble in my hands, as a friend noticed, so I need a really warm/ dark amp. I know many of you had owned all the Friedman heads and can tell me what might work best.
Please don't comment unless you have real hands on experience. I'm confused enough now after watching YouTube.
I appreciate your help!

I find vs most amps almost all the Friedman models besides the JEL are pretty smooth and dark leaning. If the BE100 Deluxe is still too much, the only other models I found darker were the BE’s made before 2016 and the SS model. If those don’t work for you either maybe check out a Bogner XTC 101B

Maybe darker, smoother sounding speakers can help too with getting what you want like the Redbacks. The SS I tried was also modded, so maybe a stock SS would differ in darkness. I found Friedman’s to be less fatiguing than most other amps. That always seemed like what they were going for imo

I find vs most amps almost all the Friedman models besides the JEL are pretty smooth and dark leaning. If the BE100 Deluxe is still too much, the only other models I found darker were the BE’s made before 2016 and the SS model. If those don’t work for you either maybe check out a Bogner XTC 101B

Maybe darker, smoother sounding speakers can help too with getting what you want like the Redbacks. The SS I tried was also modded, so maybe a stock SS would differ in darkness. I found Friedman’s to be less fatiguing than most other amps. That always seemed like what they were going for imo
I appreciate the advice. Any experience with the JJ100? From some reviews and comparisons I've read, it may be darker?

I think the JJ100 or the Naked are the "darkest" sounding. JJ100 would be far easier to find and cheaper than a naked though. I found JJ jr. gets really close to the JJ100, at least at the volumes I play, perhaps try one of those first?

I appreciate the advice. Any experience with the JJ100? From some reviews and comparisons I've read, it may be darker?
It’s been a while since I last tried one, but you might be right. It’s I think darker than the I remember the Deluxe’s being and probably similar in that regard to pre-2016 BE’s, but I’d have to try one again to really know

I would say the naked

But get a Naylor SD or duel if you have bright hands

They sound better imo
Definitely better amps to me as well. Some actually do complain about them being fatiguing lol, but there’s so much range with the presence and bite knob to get as dark and smooth as one would ever need. They’ve gotten pretty pricy though, but deservedly so imo

Never heard anyone ask 'how can I be burred in the mix = least amount of upper mids :ROFLMAO:

Some people have "bright" hands/technique that influence what amps they like - I have "low midrange" sounding hands/technique, so I prefer brighter amps

But it's definitely a technique thing that influences tone and amp choice

One person's hands/style may be the difference between "present in the mix" and "obnoxious"

I've never gotten along with rectos for this reason - my technique already accentuates the low mids and rectos have a TON of it, so when I play them it sounds like crap

Some people have "bright" hands/technique that influence what amps they like - I have "low midrange" sounding hands/technique, so I prefer brighter amps

One person's hands/style may be the difference between "present in the mix" and "obnoxious"

I've never gotten along with rectos for this reason - my technique already accentuates the low mids and rectos have a TON of it, so when I play them it sounds like crap
I appreciate your intelligence, thoughtful help! I had a Naylor Duel and reminded me of a Peavey 5150. Not what I was hoping it would be.

I'm looking for the Friedman Head with the least amount of upper mids, if I'm describing it correctly or the least amount of ear fatigue. I had the BE100 Deluxe and I couldn't seem to dial out the ear fatigue. I have lots of treble in my hands, as a friend noticed, so I need a really warm/ dark amp. I know many of you had owned all the Friedman heads and can tell me what might work best.
Please don't comment unless you have real hands on experience. I'm confused enough now after watching YouTube.
I appreciate your help!
The Dirty Shirley is worth trying, but not before you experiment with different cabs and speakers. Are you using V30's by chance? Some G12 65's may solve your issue for example.

I’m in the “try some other spreakers first” camp as well. I’ve always found the BE to be lacking high mids and cut. I’ve felt the same about Creambacks too so maybe try them lol.

Have you tried living with the tone knob on your guitar down a little?

I'll concur with @DanTravis62 and @braintheory about the Naylor SD. The one I have I bought from braintheory. Pretty much the only amp that can get dark and smooth, but somehow still retain the rawness of a vintage Marshall amp.

I'll also add to the suggestion of trying some different speakers before searching out a new amp. Speakers have such a big impact on the final sound. For example, my Crate Stealth has a lot of upper mids and high end. It sounds good though a V30 speaker but ear fatigue can set in really quick. Through my 212/115 cab with Weber Grey Wolfs/Blue Dog, the mid frequencies are shifted slightly compared to a V30 cab. Still get the mid bite without wearing out my ears in 5 minuets.
Maybe look for a speaker that's a bit more lower mid focused.

I'll concur with @DanTravis62 and @braintheory about the Naylor SD. The one I have I bought from braintheory. Pretty much the only amp that can get dark and smooth, but somehow still retain the rawness of a vintage Marshall amp.

I'll also add to the suggestion of trying some different speakers before searching out a new amp. Speakers have such a big impact on the final sound. For example, my Crate Stealth has a lot of upper mids and high end. It sounds good though a V30 speaker but ear fatigue can set in really quick. Through my 212/115 cab with Weber Grey Wolfs/Blue Dog, the mid frequencies are shifted slightly compared to a V30 cab. Still get the mid bite without wearing out my ears in 5 minuets.

That's a good shout

Perhaps try some "darker" speakers?

I actually think old broken in v30s smooth out some top end, something like a creamback may smooth it out more

The Dirty Shirley is worth trying, but not before you experiment with different cabs and speakers. Are you using V30's by chance? Some G12 65's may solve your issue for example.
I’m in the “try some other spreakers first” camp as well. I’ve always found the BE to be lacking high mids and cut. I’ve felt the same about Creambacks too so maybe try them lol.

Have you tried living with the tone knob on your guitar down a little?
Yup this. I find my guitar volume sweet spot at 7 or 8. Otherwise there’s a raspiness to the notes that I don’t care for. Speakers are definitely a big contributor to ear fatigue.

Last edited:

The EL34’s in it help a bit too. Most guys just stick with its stock 6L6’s/5881’s, but I liked it more overall with EL34’s. Tighter, more aggressive (especially in the mids and upper mids) and more in the Marshall direction

You’d probably then hate an OG Uber, Blueface or Beta LOL. They have even more low mids (or at least they do in some frequency ranges down there)

I still tend to go to brighter amps even though my technique makes things brighter

I’d think you’d like a lot the new Wizard Hell Razor and Hermansson’s, even the recto ones (my favorite Herm’s so far)

Yes, I have a love- hate feeling about V30s. I have tried some other speaker with no luck, but I will have the try some G12 65. I assume its the creamback, correct?

Last edited:
That's a good shout

Perhaps try some "darker" speakers?

I actually think old broken in v30s smooth out some top end, something like a creamback may smooth it out more
I agree with the Well broken in V30. Still a top endy. I have to try the Creaknacks.

Back