Friedman BE-100 Deluxe Brown Sound?

ldd-0178

I got a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe running into a 2x12 cab with G12H-75 creambacks. It sounds a little dark to me like it wouldn’t really cut through the mix that well. I need some help with settings and really want to achieve that Van Halen sound or 80s high gain stuff.

So far I’ve basically have played with these settings:

BE channel, Voice switch in the middle, Response switch to the right, Frequency to the left, Thump around 6, Presence around 5-6, Master volume 7, Treb 6, Mid 8, Bass 4-6, all switches on the back off.

Open for any recommendations.

If you're going for VH1 on that amp it'll be hard, that album was very bright and raw. There was probably significant HF boosting in the recording and/or mix which makes it a step further away from what you're hearing in person.

Those speakers are pretty bright, so ok there. Angling the cab up a bit will of course help, otherwise your knees cop it all.

As for settings, maybe try no depth/resonance at all, bass right back, mid no more than half, presence quite high, response in the middle.

Reactions: Geo
If you're going for VH1 on that amp it'll be hard, that album was very bright and raw. There was probably significant HF boosting in the recording and/or mix which makes it a step further away from what you're hearing in person.

Those speakers are pretty bright, so ok there. Angling the cab up a bit will of course help, otherwise your knees cop it all.

As for settings, maybe try no depth/resonance at all, bass right back, mid no more than half, presence quite high, response in the middle.
When you say no depth/resonance do you mean the thump control? There’s also a switch that controls the low end.

@RoccoPezzin gets some killer Van Halen tones on one of his YouTube videos
Thanks dude! These are the settings I used in that video: Standard BE channel with the gain on 10, treble and mids at 5, bass almost on 10, presence at 4, thump pretty low at 2 and a half. Frequency and response switches to the right, voice in the middle, highest gain structure. All the other switches in the back off.
Your results may vary depending on your cab/speakers (I was using a pretty bright sounding IR), but as @ZEN Amps said I'd definitely try lowering the thump to zero and slowly turning it up only if you feel it's missing some body, you might not need it at all if you're playing loud. Setting the response switch in the middle will sound more open but also less squishy under the fingers, I personally like it to the right for the perfect balance of high end and chewiness. Lately I've been digging the C45 switch for the VH stuff, it adds some cool sizzle in the high end, you might want to experiment with that

Respectfully, you’re telling me you haven’t turned the knobs extensively to find brighter sounds?

Watching any of the Tone Talk videos you can tell Dave is puzzled (polite word, maybe annoyed) that people ask him how to set the knobs, and won’t just turn them themselves.

I got a Friedman BE-100 Deluxe running into a 2x12 cab with G12H-75 creambacks. It sounds a little dark to me like it wouldn’t really cut through the mix that well. I need some help with settings and really want to achieve that Van Halen sound or 80s high gain stuff.

BE channel, Voice switch in the middle, Response switch to the right, Frequency to the left, Thump around 6, Presence around 5-6, Master volume 7, Treb 6, Mid 8, Bass 4-6, all switches on the back off.

Until you get Green backs, you're going to be tweaking with the eq quite a bit. All the Friedman BE series does the brown sound all day (it's literally named for it), but Green backs are the key.

Thanks dude! These are the settings I used in that video: Standard BE channel with the gain on 10, treble and mids at 5, bass almost on 10, presence at 4, thump pretty low at 2 and a half. Frequency and response switches to the right, voice in the middle, highest gain structure. All the other switches in the back off.
Your results may vary depending on your cab/speakers (I was using a pretty bright sounding IR), but as @ZEN Amps said I'd definitely try lowering the thump to zero and slowly turning it up only if you feel it's missing some body, you might not need it at all if you're playing loud. Setting the response switch in the middle will sound more open but also less squishy under the fingers, I personally like it to the right for the perfect balance of high end and chewiness. Lately I've been digging the C45 switch for the VH stuff, it adds some cool sizzle in the high end, you might want to experiment with that
Man thank you so much! Last thing I am really digging your videos and subscribed to your channel, really sick content. When you made the video with the two notes Friedman pack, that was the best I’ve heard the BE sound! May I get those settings if they’re different from above then I’ll leave you alone lol.

Respectfully, you’re telling me you haven’t turned the knobs extensively to find brighter sounds?

Watching any of the Tone Talk videos you can tell Dave is puzzled (polite word, maybe annoyed) that people ask him how to set the knobs, and won’t just turn them themselves.
Of course I’ve turned the knobs. Sometimes doing extreme settings are the way to go. I’ve had the amp maybe 48 hours and I’m just asking for advice from experienced users that’s all my friend 😎

Man thank you so much! Last thing I am really digging your videos and subscribed to your channel, really sick content. When you made the video with the two notes Friedman pack, that was the best I’ve heard the BE sound! May I get those settings if they’re different from above then I’ll leave you alone lol.
Can't remember but I'm pretty sure they were the same settings as far as the switch positions, the eq might have been tweaked a little but nothing major. I did have the SAT switch on and frequency switch to the left for the Alice in Chains riffs

Sell it, and get a PT-20 V2 for half the price.

Or, get some true G12M-25's. Those H75's are too modern, and contribute to dark tones, IMO. But, in the Friedmans I've owned, (Runt 50, Smallbox, BE, and PT-20 V2), the PT-20 V2 is the closest to any "brown sound" in the Friedman line I've experienced. If I was fixated on having a brown sound, I'd look at a modified Plexi, like a Ceriatone Yeti/Chupa, or a David Bray, Granger, or others. There's better amps for brown sound than Friedman, many of which are WAY less expensive.

If Dave tweaks the BE's like he did the PT-20, to that higher mid, more traditional, raw, aggressive tone, I think it would be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

Or, get some true G12M-25's. Those H75's are too modern, and contribute to dark tones, IMO. But, in the Friedmans I've owned, (Runt 50, Smallbox, BE, and PT-20 V2), the PT-20 V2 is the closest to any "brown sound" in the Friedman line I've experienced. If I was fixated on having a brown sound, I'd look at a modified Plexi, like a Ceriatone Yeti/Chupa, or a David Bray, Granger, or others. There's better amps for brown sound than Friedman, many of which are WAY less expensive.

If Dave tweaks the BE's like he did the PT-20, to that higher mid, more traditional, raw, aggressive tone, I think it would be a step in the right direction.
Then everyone will bitch it’s too bright like they do with rage PT2

I had a BE deluxe and played it thru an Engl 4x12 with Vintage 30s and it was way too bright for me. Try some Vintage 30s. Greenbacks are nice but not as cutting.

Last edited:

You were right, tired it with V30s and Greenbacks and it was brighter and cut way better. Didn’t think speakers would make that big of a difference.

Back