FUCHS Viper Review

Spurman78

I don’t know anyone else who has this amp and it also took me years to find this head (Finally popped up on Reverb in Dec 2022). About 12 years ago I was in a guitar store and they had the FUCHS Viper and I was blown away at how heavy it sounded but I had nowhere near the $3,000 it was listed for. I am going to keep my review short because I am going to post a link to an EP where you can hear the FUCHS Viper yourself (it sounds like this live as well). Feel free to ask questions.

Here is the link to the EP - All of the guitars on this recording were done with the FUCHS Viper 100w thru a VHT 4x12 w/ P50E’s - I am also using an ESP USA M-II with Duncan SNS Humbuckers:

https://samply.app/p/bNYpfrPa6KaLs8GSTCJG

High Gain Channel (A+:)
This is essentially another version of a high gain modded Marshall JCM 800 except it trims out the the ear piercing treble and replaces it with a more even balance between lows and highs. The high gain isn‘t going to get you to the level of a 5150 or a Diezel VH4/Herbert but it does crunch and get very heavy. It is a high gain tone where it won‘t cover up sloppy playing, however, if you are precise it rewards you with both a slamming tone and great clarity. It’s got wonderful bottom end. You can EQ the heavy sound to go from screechy/high end to complete low end. I think adding a boost pedal pushes the gain too far and you lose the benefit of the sound of the head. Overall this is a clear, low, precise & slamming heavy sound. I own a ton of gear and this is by far my favorite head (I also have a Marshall Jubilee, Splawn Pro Stock, Diezel Einstein, Revv Generator, 5150, Dual Recto, Syngery SYN-50 w/ all the high gain modules, Mesa Triple Crown & an Orange Thunderverb)

Clean Channel (B+)
The clean channel is average. It has the option to go from straight clean to dirty rock & roll tone. I would say the clean is on par with a Marshall JTM, Plexi, JCM 800. It is not as clear as say a Fender, Magnatone or Mesa clean sound. The highlight of the amp is the high gain channel but if you the need it for clean tone this amp will do the job just fine.

Features (A+:)
- 2 Channels (High Gain, Clean/Dirty)
- 4x 6550 Power Section (You can‘t even push the volume past “1“ without it being too loud for a household. This is by far the loudest head I’ve owned. I am now a huge fan of adding the 6550 power tubes. I am going to have my Marshall Jubilee modded for high gain as well as re-biased for the 6550 tubes)
- 4ohm, 8ohm, 16ohm
- FX Loop - (This works great when you want to bypass the pre-amp. I’ve run my Quad Cortex through it and it blows away the Duncan Power Stage I generally use with the Quad Cortex). It also has a FX mix knob and works great with whatever FX you want to run through it.
- The EQ reminds me of the Mesa MK series. All of the EQ knobs are interactive. If you change the “presence” it impacts the “thrust“ and “high“ knobs. So for every turn you make on the EQ you have to go back and change other knobs for it to fit. At first its annoying. Once you get the hang of it, it works great

Reliability (C-:)
When I received the head in the mail most of the tubes had fallen out of the slots. I had to open up the head and reconnect a lot of stuff. When moving the head around parts generally fall out. I am in the process of having my amp tech friend rebuild the inside of the head to get everything to hold in place strong. I would say it’s on par with a Marshall as far as reliability. However, whenever I’ve used it live or in the studio the head has come through top notch (Thats what counts).

I’ve also attached a pic. It is the amp head on the bottom rack. The amp was re-released as the Mantis but has been discontinued for quite some time.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I've always wondered what happened to Fuch. I remember when the Viper came out, there was a lot of hype on here and HCAF, but then their popularity started to fizzle out and I never heard about them again. They've always sounded awesome in recordings I've heard!

I've always wondered what happened to Fuch. I remember when the Viper came out, there was a lot of hype on here and HCAF, but then their popularity started to fizzle out and I never heard about them again. They've always sounded awesome in recordings I've heard!
Dude, I knew nothing about FUCHS back in the day and I just happened to play the Viper and I was like holy shite I wish I had $3G’s…Took me 12 yrs to find another one…I searched the earth and nothing until late last year one popped up on Reverb and I snagged it for $1,800 within minutes of it being posted…Luckily the JCM 800 2210 fell through that I ordered around that time so I could afford the FUCHS…

Dude, I knew nothing about FUCHS back in the day and I just happened to play the Viper and I was like holy shite I wish I had $3G’s…Took me 12 yrs to find another one…I searched the earth and nothing until late last year one popped up on Reverb and I snagged it for $1,800 within minutes of it being posted…Luckily the JCM 800 2210 fell through that I ordered around that time so I could afford the FUCHS…
Haha, sounds like my experience with the Diezel Herbert, except your story ended up positive. Mine, I was severely underwhelmed with once I finally had it :LOL:

Haha, sounds like my experience with the Diezel Herbert, except your story ended up positive. Mine, I was severely underwhelmed with once I finally had it :LOL:
Unfortunately I’ve had the same experience with the Herbert and the VH4…The sound is so scooped no matter how I EQ them it doesn’t cut through with a full band…However, my 50w Diezel Einstein w/ KT88’s is neck and neck with my FUCHS…I absolutely luv my Einstein head…I used it tonight at band practice and it was slamming…

Unfortunately I’ve had the same experience with the Herbert and the VH4…The sound is so scooped no matter how I EQ them it doesn’t cut through with a full band…However, my 50w Diezel Einstein w/ KT88’s is neck and neck with my FUCHS…I absolutely luv my Einstein head…I used it tonight at band practice and it was slamming…
I thought the VH4 had enough mids, it just sounded boring :LOL: The Herbert was scooped no matter what I did with it. It sounded huge in the room, but as soon as I put it into the band mix live, it had to just be cranked in volume to keep up with almost anything else. The Einsteins are killer. I always had the best luck with the old 5150, though, haha!

I thought the VH4 had enough mids, it just sounded boring :LOL: The Herbert was scooped no matter what I did with it. It sounded huge in the room, but as soon as I put it into the band mix live, it had to just be cranked in volume to keep up with almost anything else. The Einsteins are killer. I always had the best luck with the old 5150, though, haha!
Your not kidding on the 5150…I‘ve had mine for 28 years…I got a hold of mine in ‘95 when I was in high school along with a Japanese built LTD I saved up for back then…I’ve played that head and that guitar through a ton of shows & recordings and it all still holds up (and works)…My jam room got hit with lightning at one point and the only piece of gear that still worked was that 5150 hehe…True story, I didn’t even know that was EVH’s signature head for years after owning it…

Back