FX Loop Help - CCV

Rayneman

EDIT: I got my G Major to "sort of" work by using the consumer setting, lowering the FX level on the amp and turning up the volume on the channels. There is still noticeable hum, but I am making sure to keep my cables as far from the transformers as possible. I feel like it shouldn't have so much hum. Its odd.

EDIT #2: I think its all good. Per Dave F's post below, I put the channels masters to 12:00 and used the FX return on the amp to control the overall volume. So a combo of turning up the channel masters and setting the G Major to "consumer" is what did it. At this point it all sounds good, the G Major sees a good amount of input and the hiss/hum is minimal. Thanks for the help!

I finally am getting around to using some of my rack-based stuff in the loop of my CCV.

First up, my Rocktron Xpression. Really hissy, not usable under any settings.

Second, G Major: Not quite as bad as the Rocktron, but still unacceptable.

There's nothing wrong with my FX units, they work just fine with all my other amps. With the FX level (on the back of the CCV) turned to about 3:00, the amp hums so loudly that its unusable. If I turn down the FX level pretty low, and turn up the master I can get an effected tone, but its still very hissy and doesn't sound right. All of this goes away when I turn off the loop.

I've read about some little dial in the amp that might not be turned up (a pre-shipping problem) but since I bought this CCV pre-owned but from Tone Merchants, it was "gone over" by Dave Friedman prior to being shipped to me, so I imagine that's not the issue.

I am willing to accept that it just doesn't like my rack units, and I have no real problem grabbing a delay pedal and some others to use up front, but I would prefer not to spend any more $$ on this seemingly finicky amp if there is something wrong with it. It came with a bad preamp tube, but I replaced that when I got it and it appears to work fine.

I am not very comfortable taking the amp out of the box and trying to locate this little dial.

Any ideas or something I might be doing wrong? Has anyone successfully used one of the afore-mentioned FX units?

Thanks!

That problem you have does not sound right. There is something wrong. Have you checked the preamp tubes for any problems? Something could have possibly happened in transit.

I agree, something is wrong. The first thing I would do is make absolutely sure you have good cables. High gain amps hate bad/low end cables, especially if they are old. Test it by hooking up the cable in the loop alone and seeing if you get hiss. Start there, if you are completely sure it is not the cable there is a problem. If it is quiet, then add a pedal into the loop, a known good one. Work your way back up to the G-Major testing on thing at a time. Are you using instrument cables or speaker cables? Speaker cables will hiss to no end.

I use a G-major in mine, set to consumer. The effects loop is 1/2 way up. Search the main forum for Name that tune, I have an iphone clip of the amp I took today with the G-Major in the loop with no noise gate. You will need a gate in the loop, I have needed one on every high gain amp I have owned.

Yes you should use consumer level. Also you need to ground lift the g major or you will have a ground loop. Set the Chanel masters at half and use the return level as your master vol..

RACKSYSTEMS":1j36qn4m said:
Yes you should use consumer level. Also you need to ground lift the g major or you will have a ground loop. Set the Chanel masters at half and use the return level as your master vol..

Is this more of an issue due to the units he is using and how the fx loop reacts with them? I do not remember having the problem testing out a couple delay pedals in the loop.

If you ever come across a rack unit that does not have a switchable level (+4 / -10), the Ebtech Line Level Shifter can fix that issue fairly cheaply.

Thanks for the input. I will try to add in my Decimator pedal in the loop as well to see how that does.

Cable-wise, I think I'm good, these same units work flawlessly with my Herbert, JVM 410, Triple Rec (well, the Rocktron only with that one due to the parallel loop) and they are not speaker cables I'm using just short Monster instrument cables.

I need to try Dave's cranking the channel masters and working the return for the master - I do notice that the G Major isn't seeing much in the way of input the way I have it now. I am not sure how to "ground lift" the G Major though its bolted in a little rack case with a wireless receiver.

Rayneman":1g0hcgim said:
Thanks for the input. I will try to add in my Decimator pedal in the loop as well to see how that does.

Cable-wise, I think I'm good, these same units work flawlessly with my Herbert, JVM 410, Triple Rec (well, the Rocktron only with that one due to the parallel loop) and they are not speaker cables I'm using just short Monster instrument cables.

I need to try Dave's cranking the channel masters and working the return for the master - I do notice that the G Major isn't seeing much in the way of input the way I have it now. I am not sure how to "ground lift" the G Major though its bolted in a little rack case with a wireless receiver.

Here is how I tested ground lifting with the G-Major: Take an extra power cord and yank out the ground pin. Now you can plug the G-Major in one way then flip the power over to simulate a ground lift. If that solves the noise, you can get a real ground lift.

If the problem continues, I'd still try some different cables, some amps are pickier than others.

Would not recommend taking out the center pin from a power cord. Go to local electronic store, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and get a grounding adapter for that purpose instead. It does help you cheaply see immediately if you have a grounding issue with a unit.

I use W/D set-up for the Atomica and will do the same when the 2nd run CCV comes out one of these days. I do not care for the Metro loop, but that is just me. I guess I was spoiled with the Bogner XTC 101 loop when I owned one. Awesome amp with a great loop.

metalmaniac93":2k478zbh said:
I use W/D set-up for the Atomica and will do the same when the 2nd run CCV comes out one of these days. I do not care for the Metro loop, but that is just me. I guess I was spoiled with the Bogner XTC 101 loop when I owned one. Awesome amp with a great loop.

Rob I really think the loops are hit or miss. The one on my old Atomica worked real good but was a little fussy setting up. My 75 Marshall Dave modded works good but the volume in the back is a pain, same with my ccv. I had Dave mod a JCM 800 and that loop just worked, no volume in the back, it worked for pedals or the G-Major.

I do think the Metro loop likes pedals better than rack gear no matter how you adjust the internal level.

Wet dry is the way to go if you can lug the gear and get to channels on the board.

guitarmike":3vz2686v said:
metalmaniac93":3vz2686v said:

Rob I really think the loops are hit or miss. The one on my old Atomica worked real good but was a little fussy setting up. My 75 Marshall Dave modded works good but the volume in the back is a pain, same with my ccv. I had Dave mod a JCM 800 and that loop just worked, no volume in the back, it worked for pedals or the G-Major.

I do think the Metro loop likes pedals better than rack gear no matter how you adjust the internal level.

Wet dry is the way to go if you can lug the gear and get to channels on the board.
I don't think that many guys are aware that there are two different Metro loops....one for pedals and one for rack gear.

LP Freak":2ymhg5ex said:
guitarmike":2ymhg5ex said:
metalmaniac93":2ymhg5ex said:

I don't think that many guys are aware that there are two different Metro loops....one for pedals and one for rack gear.

There is? Did not know that.

metalmaniac93":2o3qoood said:
LP Freak":2o3qoood said:
guitarmike":2o3qoood said:
metalmaniac93":2o3qoood said:

There is? Did not know that.
I'm not refering to the ones that come on the CCV. I'm just talking about when you purchase the loop to install yourself.

Back