Fx8 vs pedals , I know not again

harsh59

Financially the FX8 seems to make so much sense . To do a pedal board from scratch with all pedals , power supply , interconnects , would be way more expensive . The new Boss 500 series pedals , DD500 , RV500 , MD500 are $1000 themselves , and that doesn't include boost , compression , wah , equalization , pitch shifting . I'm just an idiot at setting these things up . I hear all the horror stories about switching one thing to another and no volume or it won't switch amp channels and then hours of trouble shooting . I know this has been asked a lot , but how difficult are these things to work ? I don't want go deep into effects editing parameters , just want to set up effects patches or use the FX8 in stomp box mode .

I got one about six months ago, running in 4cm, and like it very much. I'm not in to deep diving with parameters and have no trouble setting up acceptable delay, chorus, wah, etc, etc which do the trick just fine. If I want to tweak them after that then so be it but I spend minimal time doing that And it switches channels on my amp perfectly. Love how I added all this capability in one unit and eliminated the need for my foots witch too. Sounds are great. Sure there's a learning curve but you don't need an engineering degree to figure it out. You may hear some complaints and "horror stories" but why let them scare you off when the vast majority run it trouble free and love it?

TBH I wish I got the FX-8.

Some people may prefer a real pedal sound vs what is available from Fractal but idk unless you are that anal the FX8 seems like a better deal and MUCH easier to mess with.

I have considered selling everything to get one but I REALLY like my Koko Boost and my Tuner so idk. Might defeat the purpose anyway of having an all in one for me.

No need to get crazy into editing, a little bit of time with the software and you can easily setup your "stompbox". I keep mine in stompbox mode for changing stuff on the fly and then by holding down an F1 I can switch to different presents. It's awesome.

I have a pedalboard that I really enjoy and I've had it a long time....even though I don't use a lot of crazy effects.

I got a FX8 II in a trade deal and I've been blown away by it. Everything sounds very good, and you can "tweak" or "not tweak" as much as you'd like...it really is up to you. Again, I don't use many FX but with the FX8 the options are there...and so far they have released a few updates which have added more pedals...so that is a cool feature as well.

I've been using boards forever, with every desirable pedal out there, of h I have I still have a few for sentimental sake. But the FX8 does everything I need and a whole lot more. I've been using it for about a year now and it's totally replaced all my old stomp boxes.

Lifeson1":1va1qmxm said:
I've been using boards forever, with every desirable pedal out there, of h I have I still have a few for sentimental sake. But the FX8 does everything I need and a whole lot more. I've been using it for about a year now and it's totally replaced all my old stomp boxes.

That's what I did too. Life is so much simpler now. I don't have to worry about a cable coming loose or knocking a knob by accident. It's not a perfect solution, but it's 95% of what I want. The modulation and delay effects are really good. There are also some cool effects that I probably wouldn't have ever bought on my own but find myself using quite a bit (whammy, formant, auto wah, crazy reverbs, etc). The only pedals that I kept were a tuner, a fuzz, and a Rat.

ed_Sped2":1wi9lhye said:
Lifeson1":1wi9lhye said:

That's what I did too. Life is so much simpler now. I don't have to worry about a cable coming loose or knocking a knob by accident. It's not a perfect solution, but it's 95% of what I want. The modulation and delay effects are really good. There are also some cool effects that I probably wouldn't have ever bought on my own but find myself using quite a bit (whammy, formant, auto wah, crazy reverbs, etc). The only pedals that I kept were a tuner, a fuzz, and a Rat.

How did you set that up ? Did you go guitar > pedals > FX8 or guitar > FX8 > pedals ?

Wow, I'm exactly In this same mindset. I'm on the edge but I'm frankly a fucking idiot,
and I guess I don't want to have to delve TOO deep.
I'd need scenes which is why I'm so intrigued, but nothing and I mean nothing works for me as planned!
In fact the more $ I spend, the more problems I have generally speaking
I'd be using with a Wizard MTL if anyone has used one with this amp

maddnotez":37bnqbnq said:
TBH I wish I got the FX-8.

Some people may prefer a real pedal sound vs what is available from Fractal but idk unless you are that anal the FX8 seems like a better deal and MUCH easier to mess with.

I have considered selling everything to get one but I REALLY like my Koko Boost and my Tuner so idk. Might defeat the purpose anyway of having an all in one for me.

Plus I need my KOKO boost as well

Devilinside":280h44ga said:
Wow, I'm exactly In this same mindset. I'm on the edge but I'm frankly a fucking idiot,
I'd need scenes which is why I'm so intrigued, but nothing and I mean nothing works for me as planned!
I used mine with my MCII and it worked fine so I assume the MTL would be the same. It does the switching for you too.

I just did it but went with the AX8. Sold off just about all my pedals. Gigged the first time this weekend and its going to work out fine.

harsh59":2xt9zqko said:
Financially the FX8 seems to make so much sense . To do a pedal board from scratch with all pedals , power supply , interconnects , would be way more expensive . The new Boss 500 series pedals , DD500 , RV500 , MD500 are $1000 themselves , and that doesn't include boost , compression , wah , equalization , pitch shifting . I'm just an idiot at setting these things up . I hear all the horror stories about switching one thing to another and no volume or it won't switch amp channels and then hours of trouble shooting . I know this has been asked a lot , but how difficult are these things to work ? I don't want go deep into effects editing parameters , just want to set up effects patches or use the FX8 in stomp box mode .
I'm literally waiting on the quote from the company that will be wiring my pedalboard as over the last few months I've de-racked my pedals/GCX and putting everything on the floor. Everything is ready to go except the Boss ES-8 and the board itself. I know the size but just waiting on the wiring quote. I've still got one more pedal that I will get later. Then over the weekend I really started digging in the FX8 and I could buy one with a board and it might even be cheaper still at this point than finish up what I have now.

I've still got to pay for the board to be wired, purchase the ES-8 plus one more pedal (Ventris Reverb) and purchase the board. I love the look of pedals, having everything right now but the reality is other than a Switcher, wah, a tuner and a buffer my gear has been racked for close to two decades. So the visual wouldn't be that big of a deal. IDK.

LP Freak":1yxvbv7y said:
Devilinside":1yxvbv7y said:
I used mine with my MCII and it worked fine so I assume the MTL would be the same. It does the switching for you too.

I have one and use it with both the MTL and MCII. Great for switching the channels and engaging the loop. My problem is I tend to prefer a w/d/w set up over using an amps FX loop.

harsh59":mpay35lr said:
ed_Sped2":mpay35lr said:
Lifeson1":mpay35lr said:

How did you set that up ? Did you go guitar > pedals > FX8 or guitar > FX8 > pedals ?

I just use the tuner/fuzz/rat combo as a backup. I just run the fx8 alone using the 4cm.

Back