G12M-70's...........does everybody hate them?

Loudness250

I have a Marshall Jcm 800 4104. So it has these speakers in it. Although the amp sounds very good, it doesn't quite have the sound of the 800's I've had in the past. I've heard alot of crap talked about these speakers and I'm starting to believe the hype. I have also been a speaker swapper in the passed and mixed everything from v30's greenbacks, 30 watt greenbacks, classic lead 80's. I liked all those speakers. So what say you about the G12M-70.

I took a chance on an 800 4x12, had the 260w badge. Hoping for 65s, had 70s. They're warm but kinda sterile or flat sounding. Not horrible but kinda blah. So back it goes. I've heard worse though, like newer 75s. Love the vintage 75s, night and day different than newer ones.

I had a pair of them in a 212 cab, they were the worst speaker I ever owned. If you want a good speaker on the cheap checkout eminence wizard

I bought a 4x12 cab with them in it. I uninstalled them, then left them in a van which I sold to a friend. I said that the speakers would make good ashtrays.

petejt":97k7bute said:
I bought a 4x12 cab with them in it. I uninstalled them, then left them in a van which I sold to a friend. I said that the speakers would make good ashtrays.
:LOL: :LOL:

petejt":1hahwovt said:

Nice! LOL

I had four of these in a mid 80's cab. OMG, couldn't get them out fast enough for replacement. Someone else loved them, though, and bought them from me for $300. I only paid $500 for the cab, so that was a win-win for me several years back.

They aren't built like a G12M or G12H30. Uses a smaller (1.5" diameter) voice coil, different type cone, etc. Not sure why they were ever made in the first place, but from what I learned from one of my cohorts that worked at Celestion as a lead speaker engineer it was apparently something Marshall spec'd out for them to build for their cabs.

Once they were out and no one liked them, they discontinued them and brought out the G12T-75. That was a good speaker in the mid 80's, but then they changed the specs on that, took out the mesh filter on the back of the magnet and that speaker was never the same, either.

Not sure why they don't just design a speaker, get it musician/player/road tested, finalize the design and keep it? It's always that disclaimer "Specifications subject to change without notice."

Go figure.

Scumback Speakers":2atcnp0f said:
petejt":2atcnp0f said:

Not sure why they were ever made in the first place...

That about sums it up.

Racerxrated":3t14rjdd said:
I took a chance on an 800 4x12, had the 260w badge. Hoping for 65s, had 70s. They're warm but kinda sterile or flat sounding. Not horrible but kinda blah. So back it goes. I've heard worse though, like newer 75s. Love the vintage 75s, night and day different than newer ones.

My JCM800 cab has the white label 75's. They are bitchin. My buddy has a newer 1960A cab and the newer style 75s with already a few years of gigging to break them in, and it's just not the same.

Back