Gary Moore

MrFlexx

Anyone know how to dial in a Marshall based amp (in my case a Splawn Quick Rod 100) to get close to Gary Moore's tone on the Run for Cover album?

He definitely used NMV 800s, that were modded slightly in the factory for him in the 80s. His favorite was an early 70s Superbass with a slight mod but no master vol.
So, I'd go for a JCM 800 tone without a boost, and you'll need to crank it to get the tubes cooking like he did. He didn't use much gain like many of our fav players.

My favorite player. I’m no help but always nice to see a Gary thread and love the Run For Cover album. Around that time live he was using his Charvels with a single EMG pickup.

Not sure on run for cover era,but the intro tone on once in a lifetime is so good.Probably hamers,charvels and marshalls.I know later on around wild frontier or so I've seen him on video using DSL's. Maybe it was rented backline tho.idk.One of the best musicians ever.

Not sure on run for cover era,but the intro tone on once in a lifetime is so good.Probably hamers,charvels and marshalls.I know later on around wild frontier or so I've seen him on video using DSL's. Maybe it was rented backline tho.idk.One of the best musicians ever.
DSL’s didn’t come out until the late 90’s. 10 years after Wild Frontier. Run for Cover may actually be my favorite album by him. Even though Corridors and Victims have the big bangers, I just love the sound he gets (and the whole band) on Run and just killer heavy rock tunes with Glenn Hughes sounding killer on some of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t just loud 6 knob Marshalls with a slight boost from some know Boss and Ibanez pedals and his aggressive attack.

Wild Frontier was WAAY before DSLs...that was 1987 I think. So, JCMs or JMPs.

He used his vintage strats a lot during the 80s hard rock era too. I was surprised to see him using one for victims of the future era stuff in live videos. Amazing tones with 60s single coil pickups and I believe non master marshalls. He certainly used a boost of some kind.

He definitely used NMV 800s, that were modded slightly in the factory for him in the 80s. His favorite was an early 70s Superbass with a slight mod but no master vol.
So, I'd go for a JCM 800 tone without a boost, and you'll need to crank it to get the tubes cooking like he did. He didn't use much gain like many of our fav players.
Definitely less gain than a Splawn in 2nd/3rd Gear. Gary used JTM45's as well as 2204's and 1959's, and both TS9's and TS10's. He had two custom built Hamers he used on that album - a black one, and white one, both with flush-mount Floyd's. He uses the white one in the "Out In The Fields" video, and of course the black one he's holding on the album cover. These were later known as Gary Moore "Specials". He obtained and played more Hamers during the touring of that album.

He
He used his vintage strats a lot during the 80s hard rock era too. I was surprised to see him using one for victims of the future era stuff in live videos. Amazing tones with 60s single coil pickups and I believe non master marshalls. He certainly used a boost of some kind.
The Corridors,Victims,We Want Moore era is my favorite though being a fanboy I like it all. I’m not sure if he used the Strats in studio after Victims. After that tour he went with his Charvels live till the Still Got The Blues album then I think he used the Strats here and there. He used the red one at Montreux 1990 for a few songs and then around 2000 he brought back out for some gigs and then used it for his tribute to Jimi album and the legendary Red House performance for Fender. I’m rambling lol but his Strat into the blazing Marshall is my favorite.

Into a Soldano here

Me too and don't forget that Emerald Aisles live video from the era. Top 5 player for me and this era is the pinnacle for me.
Same. Completely lost interest when he went for the blues cash grab. I don't begrudge him as it certainly brought him more fame but being a Lizzy and G. Moore fanboy I just had zero interest in traditional blues at the time.

Boss DS-1 back in the early 80's. Then at some point didnt he go to SLO with Marshall Guv'nor pedal?

Check out clips from Rockschool where he & Ian Paice do a jam.. he walks though his pedalboard (not anything like modern gear run-throughs)
He started using Governors with Still Got The Blues, SLO's live early on, then I believe he went to DSL's live. During his blues periods he used a lot of amps. JTM45, Super Leads, and he even used a Mesa for a few songs in the studio when he did his Scars album. Particularly the song "Rectify", of course. Many may not have caught that project/album. Ball and Chain is a ripping blues/hard rock solo fest. Tears it up. Obviously playing his '61 Strat.

Last edited:
Same. Completely lost interest when he went for the blues cash grab. I don't begrudge him as it certainly brought him more fame but being a Lizzy and G. Moore fanboy I just had zero interest in traditional blues at the time.
Exactly, me too. I wasn't in to his blues era at all though I admit he was great at it. I think Run for Cover was his last album that really grabbed me. I couldn't take that Wild Frontiers album where all that Irish stuff made it sound like a soundtrack for Riverdance. Blech.

Back