Gary Moore

Exactly, me too. I wasn't in to his blues era at all though I admit he was great at it. I think Run for Cover was his last album that really grabbed me. I couldn't take that Wild Frontiers album where all that Irish stuff made it sound like a soundtrack for Riverdance. Blech.
Well me being a massive Lizzy fan I actually dug Wild Frontiers. Not my fav by Gary but really anything that touches on Lynott's influence is gonna pull me in. Corridors and Run For Cover are my fav solo outings and Black Rose my fav Lizzy album. I think by the album After the War you could sorta tell he was kinda done with all the rock stuff. But you are correct, when you hear him do the blues, it's good, he can nail that stuff but always in the back of my mind I'm thinking he could rip the fuck out of this and you start missing him rocking.

Well me being a massive Lizzy fan I actually dug Wild Frontiers. Not my fav by Gary but really anything that touches on Lynott's influence is gonna pull me in. Corridors and Run For Cover are my fav solo outings and Black Rose my fav Lizzy album. I think by the album After the War you could sorta tell he was kinda done with all the rock stuff. But you are correct, when you hear him do the blues, it's good, he can nail that stuff but always in the back of my mind I'm thinking he could rip the fuck out of this and you start missing him rocking.
My first Gary Moore foray was Victims, when I bought as a 16yo. After that, I bought a few mags with Gary in them, and found out he was Irish, and previously in Lizzy so I bought a few Lizzy albums but it took a few before I found one with him on it (Black Rose). Corridors, Wild Frontier I dug it all. When he went blues I still bought that album but not much after.
He'll always be in my top 5 ever.

Like most of you I prefer Gary in a hard rock outfit rather than the blues stuff. The red strat into a Marshall with boost pedals is the sound I like most. The outro solo to Wild Frontier is one of his best to me. That should have went on for another five minutes at least.

Exactly, me too. I wasn't in to his blues era at all though I admit he was great at it. I think Run for Cover was his last album that really grabbed me. I couldn't take that Wild Frontiers album where all that Irish stuff made it sound like a soundtrack for Riverdance. Blech.
After The War was a damn good album, and his last before the blues started, I believe. These leads were nuts.. So was his tone..

My first Gary Moore foray was Victims, when I bought as a 16yo. After that, I bought a few mags with Gary in them, and found out he was Irish, and previously in Lizzy so I bought a few Lizzy albums but it took a few before I found one with him on it (Black Rose). Corridors, Wild Frontier I dug it all. When he went blues I still bought that album but not much after.
He'll always be in my top 5 ever.
Me too.. I was actually about 13 or 14. I already started playing guitar, then a pirate hard rock station we had in Cleveland played Shapes Of Things and I shit my pants. I was totally hooked and completely obsessed with Gary Moore.. Then the Live In Detroit came out.. Jesus.. Then, they started playing King Diamond's Abigail. Holy Fuck. To this day, Gary Moore and Andy Larocque are my 1 and 2 favorite guitar players of all time. Every new album, I was in line.. I couldn't wait to hear what they'd pull off next. It was an obsession. Especially Larocque. He grew as a player, got more tasteful, and one of the sickest vibratos on the planet. But Gary started it all, and when I read the headlines that he died, admittedly, a grown man cried that day. I was absolutely heart broken.

Me too.. I was actually about 13 or 14. I already started playing guitar, then a pirate hard rock station we had in Cleveland played Shapes Of Things and I shit my pants. I was totally hooked and completely obsessed with Gary Moore.. Then the Live In Detroit came out.. Jesus.. Then, they started playing King Diamond's Abigail. Holy Fuck. To this day, Gary Moore and Andy Larocque are my 1 and 2 favorite guitar players of all time. Every new album, I was in line.. I couldn't wait to hear what they'd pull off next. It was an obsession. Especially Larocque. He grew as a player, got more tasteful, and one of the sickest vibratos on the planet. But Gary started it all, and when I read the headlines that he died, admittedly, a grown man cried that day. I was absolutely heart broken.
About 20 yrs ago I was a liquor rep; and our corp HQ was right next to a supper club. We'd have sales meetings there on occasion; and I went to the bar and noticed the wall where all the stock was, tons of Gary Moore autographed pics of him performing..like 50 or more pics. Plus a Strat mounted above the bar with Gary's sig. Turns out the owner and his wife, took a full year off and followed him around England/Eu and caught all his shows. Like a Dead-head but Gary Moore instead haha. Pretty awesome.

Back