Getting started!

sspruill

So I've been playing guitar for about 2 years, but here's the thing; I only know two scales. This makes improv pretty difficult, in case you didn't know. I know the G Major scale, and I know the E minor scale. And naturally, I can move these up or down to fit whatever key I'm playing in, but I want to learn some new scales to add some variety to the improv. Any suggestions for scales to begin with?

Learn pentatonic scales and their uses in different positions. Use both major and minor pentatonics over the same chords to see the differences. Rock/blues is usually minor pentatonic. Country is major pentatonic. Learn those scales and their uses.

Next would maybe be harmonic minor scale (neoclassical yngwie malmsteen type stuff). Very exotic sounding because of the raised 7th.

Overall, it's not the scales as much as their relationship with the chords underneath and the phrasing. Look at the solo for "i know a little" by lynyrd skynyrd. It looks simple but the phrasing makes it frickin awesome!

Back