Gibson nitro finish on solid vs. transparent colors

djpatb

Maybe it's just me, but I swear the nitro finish feels different on solid colors compared to transparent colors.
For instance the back of the neck on a black SG feels different from a heritage cherry SG neck, or a black back LP compared to a clear brown back.
I think the transparent finishes feel more comfortable.
Why does it feel different to me? Is the finish a different thickness? Or is a different type of nitro used based on color?
Or am I just nuts? haha.

It might be because the nitro on a non-painted guitar is essentially a clear spray lacquer. The nitro on a solid color IS the color itself. In other words, they don't spray a clear over the color, it's all mixed together so to speak.

This was explained to me MANY years ago. . .I could be wrong.

reverymike":2ba3a70w said:

I think you're wrong. The back of my Les Paul leads me to believe that the white color coat is a separate process from the clear, which has yellowed.

77cream_14.jpg

Pushead":3dmlc72n said:
reverymike":3dmlc72n said:

I think you're wrong. The back of my Les Paul leads me to believe that the white color coat is a separate process from the clear, which has yellowed.

77cream_14.jpg

Isnt the white stuff just grain filler so you get a smooth finish on Mahogany?

Yap, it feels different. That's because the coloring pigment causes the solid colors to have a slightly less irregular surface than the transparent ones.

GOHOINC":1i1nu9ec said:

77cream_16.jpg

Perhaps, but I doubt it. The guitar was white originally and has yellowed in the 40 years since it was new.

Here's a section that doesn't see as much light, and you can see the white binding showing through in sections. It makes me think the clear has yellowed but the color hasn't.

GOHOINC":bsqrdq9q said:
Pushead":bsqrdq9q said:
reverymike":bsqrdq9q said:

77cream_14.jpg

That's maple

Pushead":382yva2e said:
GOHOINC":382yva2e said:

77cream_16.jpg

Perhaps, but I doubt it. The guitar was white originally and has yellowed in the 40 years since it was new.

Here's a section that doesn't see as much light, and you can see the white binding showing through in sections. It makes me think the clear has yellowed but the color hasn't.

Oh, I agree I think the clear is a separate coat from the color and the clear will yellow "on top" of the color coat. This is why Pelham Blue turns green with time. I was just thinking there still had to be grain filler under there to get the mahogany smooth, especially with a thin lacquer nitro finish. BTW the ageing on that white looks awesome, natural "relicing" with time is the only way to fly.

I don't notice any difference myself on newer ones anyway. I have a 2012 Trad + in HCSB, 2008 3 pickup Black Beauty (BB7) and a 2009 R7 Goldtop. The R7 has trans on the back, sides and neck, the BB7 is painted including neck..

Back