Given the current tube situation, what's your fav solid state power amp these days?

I've got a Kemper power rack and had all 4 channels of my Engl Powerball II profiled, so I'm set. I specifically got my Kemper for when i can't use my Engl, so i guess one of those instances would be if it needs tubes and I can't get them. But honestly, power tubes should last at least 2 years if you're not heavily gigging/touring and pre-amp tubes last much longer. I think this whole tube shortage thing is getting blown of proportion at the moment, people that don't even need them are hoarding and sellers are jacking up their prices and both of these scenarios are causing panic. Thank God for people like Randall at Chondro.

For powering something like the Kemper, I really like the PowerStage 700 (or even the PS-200).
Plenty loud, plenty of headroom, doesn't sound cold or sterile yet doesn't alter the tone either.
Used it with both Fractal AxeFX as well as with a Helix and worked equally well with both.
Even used it with regular stomp boxes and still sounds pretty convincing (especially when using the 200).
In terms of other good solid state amps I've been digging, was really surprised at how much I liked the Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb.
Was surprised at how convincing the modeling was in that. For people who are used to using Fender tube combos and looking for a viable
SS alternative, I really suggest checking that one out.

Since I have not played an actual HH V800 I would have to to say the Matrix GT1000FX GT1600FX after owning a GT1000FX for a couple of years.

The Matrix sounds really good and replicates the signal fed to it very accurately and I don't have to worry about some obsolete part going bad and not being able to replace it.

Back