got a DSL100h @ gc, thinking about returning it for a jvm205

9ball

Sold my tsl 60 yesterday, and bought a new DSL 100h at guitar center. It sounds good - i have no complaints about the tone, except maybe i wish the green channel crunch mode had more gain on tap like the tsl had(after it was modded) lol - what i'm thinking - now that i have it at home, is that it would be nice to have more footswitchable options and control over the channel modes, and that maybe i should have went ahead and.sprung for the jvm.
Does anyone know if you can take an amp back to guitar center to trade it in for another one and not get reamed on the return credit?

Try slamming the front of the DSL with a Tube Screamer or SD-1 before you go returning and losing money...

racerevlon":1x6m4w9m said:
Try slamming the front of the DSL with a Tube Screamer or SD-1 before you go returning and losing money...
You mean use an OD in front of the green crunch to kind of give it another "channel" in between crunch and lead?

9ball":1gyeyto9 said:
racerevlon":1gyeyto9 said:
You mean use an OD in front of the green crunch to kind of give it another "channel" in between crunch and lead?

Exactly

DSL is a slut puppy for OD pedals. I like an OCD for a bit o grit

Heritage Softail":f3u5houo said:
9ball":f3u5houo said:
racerevlon":f3u5houo said:

Exactly

Yeah?...i didnt think of that...duh lol...i dont have an OD pedal sold it a long time ago. Hm...i guess i COULD just keep it then and start putting a pedalboard together...i've been thinking about starting a snax fx fund anyways....

9ball":vncfbdkv said:
Heritage Softail":vncfbdkv said:
9ball":vncfbdkv said:
racerevlon":vncfbdkv said:

Exactly

Yeah?...i didnt think of that...duh lol...i dont have an OD pedal sold it a long time ago. Hm...i guess i COULD just keep it then and start putting a pedalboard together...i've been thinking about starting a snax fx fund anyways....

I bought a used DSL as a wet amp. Started playing around with it and now it is my main practice amp. Jetter R2 and OCD are good for me into either channel. The latest and fav by far the Bogner Red pedal into completely clean.

The vids on here of the Red sounded amazing. They are correct. The good tube power section does great for the pedal. I could be fine with a delay, Wah, Red and the DSL.

Good luck on the tone quest.

Heritage Softail":313ni6gt said:
9ball":313ni6gt said:
Heritage Softail":313ni6gt said:
9ball":313ni6gt said:
racerevlon":313ni6gt said:

Exactly

I bought a used DSL as a wet amp. Started playing around with it and now it is my main practice amp. Jetter R2 and OCD are good for me into either channel. The latest and fav by far the Bogner Red pedal into completely clean.

The vids on here of the Red sounded amazing. They are correct. The good tube power section does great for the pedal. I could be fine with a delay, Wah, Red and the DSL.

Good luck on the tone quest.

Cool i'll have to check out the red pedal. I've been wanting an ocd for awhile anyways. I wonder if jerryp can mod these so the channel modes are footswitchable and possibly add a master volume...hm...lol
I noticed that the marshall power tubes are bigger/thicker than my other el34's also - kind of odd

DSL with a tubescreamer is a cracking tone!

I still prefer my JVM though, so if you can make the trade I would definitely do it.

maiden_fan":9ncieogg said:
DSL with a tubescreamer is a cracking tone!

I still prefer my JVM though, so if you can make the trade I would definitely do it.
I could, but eh...i dont really need to lol. I played a jvm there when i played the dsl i thpught they sounded very similar, but the jvm had more switching and control, which would be nice, but the 205h is also double what i got this dsl for ya know?

New dsl reminded me of s 2007 kia built with cheap spare parts jvm better build as he is talking about the new dsl nothing like original

Kias get good gas mileage :D

...i dunno...i want to, but i'm having a real hard time convincing myself it's worth another $750. That's IF they take this one back and give me credit.for the full 750 i paid for it. Plus i just ordered an OCD lol

If this is the new "Cheaper Vietnamese" DSL, get a used English one, or step up to the Brit JVM.

Not talking out of my ass, I owned a brit DSL from new for 10 years, GREAT Amp! Green was OK, fantastic with a cheap Bad Monkey in front. My gigging amp for a long time. I used the Red channel for clean, EQ in the loop for Leads on Green. The new one does NOT sound as good. I found it fizzy, not tight, not as glassy. Just brittle. Played it on separate occasions to be sure. I'm not actually a fan of the JVM, I think it's too modern sounding, to compressed, but that's IMO. Some say the Orange channel is the shizzle. Get what you pay for, I don't know if the new ones got the build of the old. Doesn't sound like the old one.

Don't see how you would "Lose" money if they have a 30 day return guarantee"?

ConcreteVampire":2r6xw005 said:
If this is the new "Cheaper Vietnamese" DSL, get a used English one, or step up to the Brit JVM.

Not talking out of my ass, I owned a brit DSL from new for 10 years, GREAT Amp! Green was OK, fantastic with a cheap Bad Monkey in front. My gigging amp for a long time. I used the Red channel for clean, EQ in the loop for Leads on Green. The new one does NOT sound as good. I found it fizzy, not tight, not as glassy. Just brittle. Played it on separate occasions to be sure. I'm not actually a fan of the JVM, I think it's too modern sounding, to compressed, but that's IMO. Some say the Orange channel is the shizzle. Get what you pay for, I don't know if the new ones got the build of the old. Doesn't sound like the old one.

Don't see how you would "Lose" money if they have a 30 day return guarantee"?

Hm. I don't hear any thinness or fizzi-ness. I think it sounds pretty damn good to be honest. I have the gain down under half on the od channel and over have on crunch. Im playing it through a 4x12 w/ V30's and 55hz weber legacies in an X pattern and it sounds good to me. Ac/dc,motorhead,priest,zeppelin,zz top, it all sounds like it's in there to me lol. I bought this with the intention of sending it to fja mods and.having it modded like the tsl was that i sold, but aafter playing it for awhile i don't think it needs to be modded.
About the build quality i can't really say. I don't really see anything bad about it other than possibly the materials used. For instance there's a thin - paper thin almost - sheet that the chassis seems to be.resting on inside - i don't know what it is though. Maybe it's.just sheilding, or grounding maybe? The transformers are beefy and.look ok to me...but that's just from the outside lol. The cabling running to.them is neat and tidy...i dunno lol...the control panel material might be a little different from a UK made marshall, so what.
But i dunno....on one hand this is a fine amp it seems to me has good marshall tone it and seems to be only lacking some switching options really and may be built with some cheaper parts. And in vietnam - which really doesn't bother me. ...on the other hand - hard telling how long i'll have this amp. I had the tsl for 12 years lol, so it might make sense to go ahead and invest is something that leaves nothing to be.desired. Still undecided lol

I heard both good and bad things about the new DSL's.....but hey..if its sounding good to yours ears....then there ya go. :rock:

just42dave":1i7jgtnf said:
New dsl reminded me of s 2007 kia built with cheap spare parts jvm better build as he is talking about the new dsl nothing like original

so would it be the older or newer ones that you want to stay away from?

i've heard the older ones had transformer issues?

I have an old DSL I bought used and pot some better preamp tubes in it. I like it fine. It is a great pedal platform.

The new DSL100 I tried at Sam Ash was not exactly to my liking, but it didn't have NOS glass.

There will always be those that like he old one better.

Rock on. If it feels good, keep feeling it till it don't.

Back