Great Leads - Terrible Tone?

amiller

I was driving back to work from lunch today and Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years" came on the old radio. Funny, the cool hook everyone knows has pretty good tone, but, what really gets me is the lead guitar. The lead lines are pretty cool and the playing is great, however, the tone is just terrible. It sounds fizzy and buzzy. It sounds like a cheap 3” portable radio with a blown out speaker!!! Somebody get me some bug spray so I can kill that damn pesky mosquito. :gethim:

...I still dig the tune. :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah. I've got a buddy who is a fine player. But his tone always sucks.

From my standpoint, if your tone isn't good or listenable your pretty worthless as a musician. What does it matter if you're the best player in the world but nobody wants to listen because your tone is offensive? :)

JerEvil":1bpss65n said:
Anything from Pantera!

THERE!!! I said it! Shit tone but damn ol' boy could play!

Good example.
However, you're referencing metal here. There is a lot of bad tone in metal. And the listeners are, well, metal heads. :D

You know, I was listening to that same Steely Dan tune the other day, and that tone is aweful, but it somehow fits that song. It sounds like a direct to board tone to my ears. No amp would sound that bad!

amiller":2yeos3cd said:
I was driving back to work from lunch today and Steely Dan's "Reelin' In The Years" came on the old radio. Funny, the cool hook everyone knows has pretty good tone, but, what really gets me is the lead guitar. The lead lines are pretty cool and the playing is great, however, the tone is just terrible. It sounds fizzy and buzzy. It sounds like a cheap 3” portable radio with a blown out speaker!!! Somebody get me some bug spray so I can kill that damn pesky mosquito. :gethim:

It's just a fuzz box that gives it the buzzy mosquito sound. Lots of people dig that tone, just not us... :LOL: :LOL:

Steve

sah5150":3bq49cnw said:
amiller":3bq49cnw said:

It's just a fuzz box that gives it the buzzy mosquito sound. Lots of people dig that tone, just not us... :LOL: :LOL:

Steve

that is what old dudes call good tone because they don't know what good tone is :)

JerEvil":3nhg1mdk said:
Anything from Pantera!

THERE!!! I said it! Shit tone but damn ol' boy could play!
This is an undisputable truth! :rock:

Kinda sad that someone off'ed dude, just as he was starting to use tube amps. :(

Shawn Lutz":2vbk9sm5 said:
sah5150":2vbk9sm5 said:
amiller":2vbk9sm5 said:

Steve

that is what old dudes call good tone because they don't know what good tone is :)

Uh. Old dudes created great tone. Youngins have spent the last 25 years or so destroying what others have built. ;)

Yeah Dimebag
You should have mentioned "besides Dimebag", 'cause now 100 more people will have to chime in and agree ;)

gtrwun":818mpw7w said:
You know, I was listening to that same Steely Dan tune the other day, and that tone is aweful, but it somehow fits that song...

IMHO, the reason we think that crappy tone fits the song is because that's the only way we have ever heard it! What if Jimmy Page or Billy Gibbons or Hendrix or take-your-pick had recorded that solo?

Stryper was the only guitar tone I did not like. Talk about weird mids. Hated it.... I mean hated it.

Any other is just a matter of taste or what fits the song. I liked Dime's tone. It fit the rage and ferocity of the songs and his style. Broken... Killer killer song, wouldn't want it any other way.

IMHO, the reason we think that crappy tone fits the song is because that's the only way we have ever heard it! What if Jimmy Page or Billy Gibbons or Hendrix or take-your-pick had recorded that solo?
gtrwun":2v0fbhz2 said:
You know, I was listening to that same Steely Dan tune the other day, and that tone is aweful, but it somehow fits that song...

I agree that the reason it fits is because thats the only way we have heard it. Regardless, its a bad ass solo IMO, and apparently Jimmy Page agree's. :yes: And yeah, if it were Page or Hendrix, Gibbons, I'd have higher expectations for sure.

sah5150":ex18dhzd said:
amiller":ex18dhzd said:

Steve
IIRC, it's a fuzz box straight into the board.

Back