Guitar Amps and cold temperature, need advice

BesaMoogie

Hi,
I have a hobby room where I work on and play my amps, as I can turn up the volume there. My only concern is, that the room has no fix heating, so heating with electricity is the only option. Humidity is not a problem.

So what is a temperature it souldn`t drop below to make any harm to the caps etc?
Currently, the temperature is at 17 C / 63 F but it is getting colder outside and of course, heating with electricity is costly, especially in the current energy market.

Tube amps have built-in heaters. Not only do they sound great, they keep you warm and toasty all winter long.

Modeling amps, on the other hand, not only sound cold and lifeless, they don't care if you freeze to death.

All kidding aside...

Most electrolytic capacitors are rated in the -40C to +85C range, although some are rated only to -25C. ESR starts to increase at low temperatures.

The same -40C to +85C temperature range holds for most commercial temperature rated passive components, including resistors and other types of capacitors. Storage temperature ratings are usually specified to be greater than operating temperature ranges.

These ratings don't necessarily mean the part will fail if you go outside the range, it just means the manufacturer doesn't guarantee they will meet specs. High temperatures are generally worse than low temperatures for electronic components.

Bottom line: if you're comfortable enough to work/play in the room, your amplifier will be, too.

Last edited:
If your fingers can move and play a guitar, your amp is fine. Randall said it all perfectly.

I had a friend that played a 5150 full stack in his band in an indirectly heated, un-insulated basement where it would regularly get below freezing. It was miserably cold down there during the winter band practices but the amps never had an issue.

There are thousands of bands driving across country at any given time with their gear in the trailer behind the van. There aren’t thousands of stories of ruined equipment during the winter. Don’t worry.

^ That and the fact that amps have been flown on planes too.

They'll probably sound better.
That's what I was I thinking too. I'd rather have a too cool amp vs a too hot amp.

Actually, I believe the worst thing for gear, outside of humidity, is wild temperate fluctuations. At least for guitars obviously.

High altitudes are also bad for electrolytic capacitors. They can fail if transported in unpressurized cargo holds, or if they are used in certain avionics equipment where they are subject to high altitudes. There are special hermetically sealed bulk capacitors that are used in military aircraft.

Back