Guitar Flatter (fretless in minutes)

CoolGuitarGear

So, what good is recycled plastic (actually, clear scratch-resistant polycarbonate)? Well, you can create a light and inexpensive way to transform a bass or 6-string guitar into a fretless instrument. The Guitar Flatter has been around for about a year, and I finally got around to getting one and trying it out, since I had some interest in a fretless guitar and thought it would be a fun adventure. I think most guitarists are like this, they want a 12-string, maybe one with scalloped frets, another a baritone, etc. This is our passion and addiction, and what better way to experience a fretless instrument than with this invention (and if you like the concept and sound, you always could invest in a standalone fretless guitar). What really interested me in this, and I suspect it’s true of most guitarists, is that you have a guitar you like, but it doesn’t get played much (since you have other favorites)… and this allows you to have a unique instrument that will be played more often. And be aware that it’s not a gimmick or ‘toy,’ but that it actually does the job very well.

The Guitar Fretter is easy to install. Loosen (or remove) the strings and pop it in place, then replace or tighten the strings. I loosened and tightend with no issue, which is good, because I’m too lazy to be frigging with strings. Installation likely will require one extra step for most, to raise the bridge to avoid any undesirable buzzing or touching along the Guitar Fretter. It is made to fit specific nut widths (1.65 – 1.7” or 42-43mm for 6-string and 1.5” or 38-39mm for bass), and so, be aware of the maximum width. If your guitar’s nut is narrower, as it is with mine (a Parker Dragonfly), you also get small padded adhesive strips that you attach (tape) to the inside edge of the Guitar Flatter to fill the gap between it and the edge of the fretboard, and to snug it up. I did this, and it does not shift or move (the strings running over the nut section of the Guitar Flatter further guarantees this).

Now, because this attachment only covers around the lowest half of the fretboard, the remaining area involve regular fret playing. You will notice the action higher than usual, and if you’re a shredder, this will be a bit cumbersome, but for most people doing some jazz, Eastern-based music, etc., I don’t think it’s that big an issue. What I have heard many times in different reviews is why the manufacturer did not make the Guitar Flatter longer and to cover even more frets. I suspect it was to keep costs down, to make it light and portable, but also a smaller size reduces shipping costs. Moreover, it provides a hybrid type of guitar, so that you can play the higher notes as you would a regular guitar, than shift over to fretless seamlessly. You cannot please everyone, and so, this is what it is.

Playing a fretless, including using the Guitar Flatter, is not difficult if you apply some basic concepts. For single notes, it plays the same as a lap steel guitar, in that you aim for the fret in front of the note, e.g., playing an A on the top string would require a finger right on that fret in front of the A. Because this is microtonal, you can create unique vibrato effects that are slightly detuned (great Hawaiian or steel guitar effect). And although bending is not much of a thing with fretless guitars, you can bend, but it requires a bit more touch control to nail the desired note. Chords are trickier, since you don’t have ‘space’ in which to rest your fingers… if a chord consists of six notes, for instance, it is challenging to finger every note perfectly, and particularly if playing quickly. What works best is to create reduced chord shapes, and it helps tremendously if playing with some type of open tuning with open strings added to those you are fingering.

The sound is very unique, whether aiming for some Middle Eastern music, or even applying it in more modern or rock music. You don’t get a hard attack with the notes, as they are more subdued and warm, but this produces a dreamy and ethereal effect, which is ideal when you need it. The notes are glassy and round (not sure how to describe it), and the slides and legato are to die for. If you’re looking for a stocking stuffer or a gift in general, the Guitar Flatter is a perfect suggestion for less than $100 USD with shipping. For those curious to try a fretless instrument, this is the ticket.

Back