Guitar wiring question

IHateRap

I'm using the following diagram from Seymour Duncan's website to wire up a Warmoth project. I have failed. It's muffled sounding and the tone control is apparently a volume control. :D Also I didn't see a bridge ground so I added one. Mistake? I'm double checking everything else in the meantime. Help. Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen capture 16.png
    Screen capture 16.png
    612.5 KB · Views: 235
boyedav":288dtpdi said:
No bare/ground wire on the bridge pickup? And it's a seymour duncan pickup? That does sound odd, but I'm not necessarily an expert with ever SD pickup.

Double check that you've got the right lugs/wires soldered on each of the pots. Both pots will have lug 1 soldered back to the body of the pot to ground, and make sure only one leg of the capacitor is grounding against the body of the pot.

If you can post some clear pics of your wiring, one of us may be able to see where the problem is.

I meant the diagram doesn't show a ground going to the trem claw.....so I added one. Sorry for the confusion. I checked all the wiring and I think it's correct. Maybe I'll try to take some pics.

Not sure if this is good or clear enough.....excuse the hack shielding. Any questions please ask

Attachments

• IMG_1781.JPG
    IMG_1781.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 185
Check that the right lug of the Tone pot is not grounded. It shouldn't be grounded. Left lug should be grounded.

I would also consider disconnecting the tone pot just to see if you can get it working with just the Volume control. Divide and conquer.

SpiderWars":2umlflzk said:
Check that the right lug of the Tone pot is not grounded. It shouldn't be grounded. Left lug should be grounded.

I would also consider disconnecting the tone pot just to see if you can get it working with just the Volume control. Divide and conquer.

With the lugs facing down I do have the right one grounded. I have them situated in the cavity like they are in Duncan's diagram. This is wrong? Thanks for the help. Might be getting somewhere here. :rock:

IHateRap":1lcn5avb said:
SpiderWars":1lcn5avb said:

With the lugs facing down I do have the right one grounded. I have them situated in the cavity like they are in Duncan's diagram. This is wrong? Thanks for the help. Might be getting somewhere here. :rock:
The one you have soldered to the back is fine...check the other one that's not supposed to be connected to anything. If it is grounded it would cause pretty much exactly what you say.

Tone pot it is. Disconnected it and the issues went away. So I either killed it with excessive heat, a solder goober is shorting it out somewhere that I can't see (left leg?) or it was DOA. Thanks for your help.

Back