Guthrie Govan Signature Guitars

se7en

I'm strongly considering one of the GG signature guitars. I'd be curious to hear opinions on the various models. I'm leaning towards the Antique, but like the cosmetics of the Tiger Burst model (not sure if that's the right name of the finish). What interests me is the versatility, in that you can get some convincing split tones along with a direct out bridge that slams for the heavy stuff and cuts for leads.

The one GG model you speak of is "Light Bengal Burst"....Suhr also has a darker "regular" Bengal Burst as an optional finish, but I suppose Guthrie did not want his signature that dark....hence the creation of Light Bengal Burst. As far as options go, I believe they are all the same....except for the different woods....and one of them is a setneck. The setneck has a satin finish if I recall, whereas the Antique has a nitrocellulose finish....and the other is gloss. There is also a Ramus GG model available (Suhr's import brand) for $1399. There's a lightly used Rasmus GG on feebay right now for $975 that I'm fighting to not purchase.....very tempting though. Just so you know...the Rasmus doesn't have all the options the Suhr GG's have.

Here are pics/description of the GG setneck: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/107542 ... TNECK-here!

I have a GG Antique modern and love it! Much more attractive in person! I was concerned about the neck since I mainly play R8's. The neck was surprisingly comfortable and is an easy switch between the GG and my Les Pauls. GG is correct in the way he describes the tone "Honky like mahogany and then some." Very comfortable and versatile guitar with great tone!

bonedarrell":3ephxw2z said:
I have a GG Antique modern and love it! Much more attractive in person! I was concerned about the neck since I mainly play R8's. The neck was surprisingly comfortable and is an easy switch between the GG and my Les Pauls. GG is correct in the way he describes the tone "Honky like mahogany and then some." Very comfortable and versatile guitar with great tone!

Yeah, I love the GG neck....I've got it on both of my Moderns. :thumbsup:

bonedarrell":3dyj4ff2 said:

I have to admit, the finish of the Antique is growing on me. Very classy. I'm actually planning on getting an Antique and then an R8 down the road. How close do the split sounds get to Strat tones? I'm not looking for 100%, as a fuller split coil tone would be more my bag.

Tone Zone":32buhmkw said:
The one GG model you speak of is "Light Bengal Burst"....Suhr also has a darker "regular" Bengal Burst as an optional finish, but I suppose Guthrie did not want his signature that dark....hence the creation of Light Bengal Burst. As far as options go, I believe they are all the same....except for the different woods....and one of them is a setneck. The setneck has a satin finish if I recall, whereas the Antique has a nitrocellulose finish....and the other is gloss. There is also a Ramus GG model available (Suhr's import brand) for $1399. There's a lightly used Rasmus GG on feebay right now for $975 that I'm fighting to not purchase.....very tempting though. Just so you know...the Rasmus doesn't have all the options the Suhr GG's have.

Here are pics/description of the GG setneck: http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/107542 ... TNECK-here!

Thanks for the info, TZ. Yeah, the Rasmus is a nice looking guitar...I heard it's super light, though, which turned me off. Not that that means everything. I'm sure it's nice.

se7en":3nw4k1oe said:
bonedarrell":3nw4k1oe said:

I have to admit, the finish of the Antique is growing on me. Very classy. I'm actually planning on getting an Antique and then an R8 down the road. How close do the split sounds get to Strat tones? I'm not looking for 100%, as a fuller split coil tone would be more my bag.

I went into a store just to try the neck on a GG fully anticipating that I would order the traditional GG if I liked the neck. I was floored by how cool the Antique Modern looked in person! I especially liked the roasted maple neck! I left the store with a GG AM!

As far as the tones (all subjective mind you), the only "strat tone" is the #3 position on the GG which sounds closest to the #2 position on a strat to my ear. The 2 and 4 position on the GG sound more Tele-ish to me. The #5 position on the GG isn't as "warm" as #5 on a Strat since the GG has 24 frets vs. 21 on a strat, but it is still very useful (it just has it's own, very cool tone!) This was a small compromise considering everything else that is amazing about the GG!! So, basically, this guitar covers a lot of ground when it comes to tone. I use it for many genres! Go put your hands on one! Oh, and btw, I didn't get any closer to playing like Guthrie on this guitar....just saying.

Well, I think I'm gonna get a stock Antique GG model when I have the funds. Really impressed with the latest Aristocrats video on YouTube, too. :rock:

Back