Had a break from plyig guitar, it took more then a year.

shadow070

Hi,

Did any of you have a break from playing the guitar for a longer period?

I just started playing again, starting with 10 minutes :LOL: :LOL: (its been almost a week)
Its been so long i forgot how much fun it is, i need to work again to get my technique back and man how i have forgotten everything :confused:
All the dropp chords, the inversions, all th scales and modes.
But then again its just a matter of a vew weeks of doing all again.

I also forgot how good my setup sounded, i was impressed, never thought that could happen :rock:
My arm, hand and fingers get tired quite fast now so ill slowly build it up.

Any tips on getting back in the game again?
The thing is, there is so much i need to practise again, but where do i start.
I know that i dont wat to spend hours playing per day as i used to so im thinking of a hour per day.

A posible routine:
Rhythem work out, straight and polyrhythems on the metronome
Scales and modes, each day 2 new ones, def. spending time on how the mode is built and is different from the main
1 chord per day with inversions all over the neck( lets say Cmin7) and memorizing which is the 1,3,5,7 of each grip
Soloing over tracks

How do you spend time practising and learning new things and repeating your current knowledge?

Thanks,
Robert

I've found that as I've gotten older, I can't just take days off and pick up the guitar and be right were I was like I used to. Back when I gigged often, just 2 yrs ago I'd leave it packed up until the next gig. I have to force myself to play for at least 30 min every day, in order to keep up the chops. But I realize how important to me it is, after a bad day it's a great stress reliever to turn it up and let loose.

I take breaks from time to time....once for 7 years.

I usually take some type of break when a major project ends. Sometimes those breaks go months....sometimes years. :dunno:

boyedav":2gnq3xoa said:
I've taken months at a time off before. One time on and off for close to 3 years.

Just listen to your body. Your muscles and fingertips are going to get sore, and that's fine, just be cautious of any strain that could result in other injury.

When I've taken time off, I've found it to be a good opportunity to correct any bad habits I think I have.

After an extended break there's a mismatch between muscle memory and strength/proficiency for awhile, so it's easy to be sloppy at first, and I try to avoid that so the sloppiness doesn't become habit. I tend to focus on making sure I'm working my pinky as much as my other fingers, and that I'm fretting the notes with my finger tips. I also pay a lot of attention to my left hand position, and my right hand technique, just to make sure I'm doing things the way I know I should.

Yup, baby steps. I see that i have more patience when trying to learn something new, zoning in on that smaal pease. Technique really isnt there yet but thats ok!

Racerxrated":w2pqvtjm said:
I've found that as I've gotten older, I can't just take days off and pick up the guitar and be right were I was like I used to. Back when I gigged often, just 2 yrs ago I'd leave it packed up until the next gig. I have to force myself to play for at least 30 min every day, in order to keep up the chops. But I realize how important to me it is, after a bad day it's a great stress reliever to turn it up and let loose.

True, but i really overdid it doing some lessons i think, just had enough mybe. But now im back. Its so much fun playing again.

Pentatonic":1dhhbmug said:
I take breaks from time to time....once for 7 years.

I usually take some type of break when a major project ends. Sometimes those breaks go months....sometimes years. :dunno:

:LOL: :LOL: now thats long. Lets hope im back for good. Like one of the others posted, its a stress releave.

Back