Hammond Organ

rsm

Finally sold my '62 Hammond A-102 and matching Leslie 142 in fruitwood:

Hammond-A102.jpg

which made room for my Hammond SKx (and more!;

Hammond-Skx - Copy.jpg

I needed to get an organ bench wide enough to fit over the pedals.

Cheapest I found was $499, so I improvised: 4x4 boards and a weight bench, ~$50, and it works great:

IMG_0540.JPG

Man thats killer!
I always wanted a B3 and a Leslie but never got one. I have a Kronos that has a pretty good B3 clone in it, but the Leslie section of it is mediocre on its best day with the wind to its back. Well, compared to a real Leslie anyway..
The Kronos does have some badass organ patches, and the piano sounds are stellar, but I haven't used the piano sounds for anything we have recorded..
Congrats on the SKX and the foot pedals very very cool!

I got the SKx a few years ago, then an A-3; then the A-102. the pedals for the SKx were backordered during the pandemic so it sat in it's case for years...

The A-102 was great, just a lot of room, and if it ever needed service not easy to move; I built a plywood platform on wheels to move it easily to get to the back to oil it and clean out any dust. Hearing the A-3 vs the A-102 convinced me it was close enough, and is much more versatile, easy to move, and can be fine tuned to match any real Hammond. The SKx (older version, not the new SKx Pro), sounds great as well, but not at the level of the A-3.

I'm into organs, I also have a digital Vox Continental (61 and 76 key); I use the 61 with a second 61-key MIDI keyboard to approximate a Super Continental.

Vox Continental - dual - H9 - Ruby - Small.JPG

Last but not least is my fav, a Viscount Cantorum Trio digital pipe organ; I also use it as a console for Hauptwerk organ software.

IMG_0052.JPG

I got the SKx a few years ago, then an A-3; then the A-102. the pedals for the SKx were backordered during the pandemic so it sat in it's case for years...

The A-102 was great, just a lot of room, and if it ever needed service not easy to move; I built a plywood platform on wheels to move it easily to get to the back to oil it and clean out any dust. Hearing the A-3 vs the A-102 convinced me it was close enough, and is much more versatile, easy to move, and can be fine tuned to match any real Hammond. The SKx (older version, not the new SKx Pro), sounds great as well, but not at the level of the A-3.

I'm into organs, I also have a digital Vox Continental (61 and 76 key); I use the 61 with a second 61-key MIDI keyboard to approximate a Super Continental.

View attachment 299808

Last but not least is my fav, a Viscount Cantorum Trio digital pipe organ; I also use it as a console for Hauptwerk organ software.

View attachment 299811
So you got the sweet gospel-spiritual and blues chops on these or what?

So you got the sweet gospel-spiritual and blues chops on these or what?
more of the Jon Lord, Rick Wakeman, Ken Hensley, Rick Wright prog rock focus; with some Mark Stein, Felix Cavaliere and Goldy McJohn thrown in.

Also big fan of, but no where close in skills, Jimmy Smith, Brother Jack McDuff, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Joey DeFrancesco,

edit: also Don Argent...so many to list.

not sure how I forgot, Keith Emerson.

Last edited:

View attachment 299808

View attachment 299811
Oh that's killer!
My sister was a pick for one of 10 spots on a national tour where they went throughout the US and played all the top pipe organs, of course they were all in churches all over the country. She still talks about 3 of them in particular. The Mormon Tabernacle, the Crystal Cathedral and I cant remember the 3rd one. She is ridiculously good on keys. Just can't beat a pipe organ!

Back