Has anyone tried running the line out of a Suhr RL or similar to a SS power amp like the Duncan Power Block for bedroom playing?

So unlike a regular guitar amp, where the unique tonal qualities are the reason one buys the amp, an amp for this purpose would be as nuetral as possible and probably lower power as well. I’ve seen a few mentioned, but I’m not sure that they tick these boxes. Maybe they do? What other amps would be good for this use?

I'm considering the Powerstage 170 (actually what I meant to put in the thread title, not "power block"), how does it perform at bedroom levels? My concern is that with that much power the volume control will be touchy and the level will jump around dramatically.
It’s not touchy at all. Very easy to dial in low volumes. Its probably over-rated on the power.

Oh yeah, they don’t like 16ohms. 8ohms or 4 ohms is what it likes.

It’s not touchy at all. Very easy to dial in low volumes. Its probably over-rated on the power.

Oh yeah, they don’t like 16ohms. 8ohms or 4 ohms is what it likes.
lol well it would be for a 16 ohm cab. Why do they sound bad at 16?

Last edited:
So unlike a regular guitar amp, where the unique tonal qualities are the reason one buys the amp, an amp for this purpose would be as nuetral as possible and probably lower power as well. I’ve seen a few mentioned, but I’m not sure that they tick these boxes. Maybe they do? What other amps would be good for this use?

Any high quality solid state amp that prioritizes transparency can fit this bill. Fryette's powerstation is tube but is also marketed as having options that de-emphasize the "tube" character and sound more transparent by applying appropriate negative feedback to the final power section to minimize the effect of the impedance curve on the Fryette's tube section.

Back