Have the coupling caps been changed here?

lespaul6

this is a marshall 2555SL made in 96. I'm looking at those green chicklet style caps and they don't appear stock? should they be the grey or tan box style caps that marshall uses? looks like someone used them in all the electrolytic areas? can anyone share their thoughts

Attachments

• slash chassis .jpg
    slash chassis .jpg
    855.7 KB · Views: 73
this is a marshall 2555SL made in 96. I'm looking at those green chicklet style caps and they don't appear stock? should they be the grey or tan box style caps that marshall uses? looks like someone used them in all the electrolytic areas? can anyone share their thoughts

No those are indeed stock poly caps given the year.

No those are indeed stock poly caps given the year.
really? man, I'm stumped. Every pic ive seen of this amp used the box caps in all those areas.. I have two of these amps and they are both all box caps and never been touched. Those are electrolytic caps?

really? man, I'm stumped. Every pic ive seen of this amp used the box caps in all those areas.. I have two of these amps and they are both all box caps and never been touched. Those are electrolytic caps?
Yep they actually don’t sound that bad. The aldrich i have was a 1959 reissue made in 96 and has them all throughout.

here is a pic of mine... the two coupling caps are box type and connect to those blue wires.. you can see them side by side to one another .022

photo_2.jpg

FYI I've seen a lot of those grey box caps fail in amps from the late 80s. Seems their reliability fades after ~30 years

I always replace all the coupling caps when I mod amps. Usually with WIMA. At least on the late 70’s, early 80’s and reissue amps. I don’t trust the stock ones both for tone and reliability.

Back