Have You Guys Seen This?....Think I May Dig This Tone

Love the guy and def liked the Sultan's Curse riff at the end but that was too much gain for me :dunno:

Like a muddy fuzz pedal in front of a Marshall. Fits Mastodon though and he's better than me so there is that too :D

Love the guy and def liked the Sultan's Curse riff at the end but that was too much gain for me :dunno:

Like a muddy fuzz pedal in front of a Marshall. Fits Mastodon though and he's better than me so there is that too :D
I like it . I like the nasty tones they get . There’s actually something I love about their tones even though don’t set my tones up like that

sounds too loose and raspy to me, but its really tough to tell anything with a single centered track of random noodling. Mastodon sounded best in the early days with their Laneys

Almost sounds like he could back the pickups down a little from the strings...bet it would sound better.
Low end a bit big and the highs rasp as RaceU noted.

I like it . I like the nasty tones they get . There’s actually something I love about their tones even though don’t set my tones up like that
I kind of agree...It's not really a tone I would go for myself necessarily. But there is something really nasty and gnarly about it that I really dig. it's definitely a bit over-gained but not over-compressed. Those cutting, ripping upper-mids sound like they would tear through the mix. I would like to hear it in the context of a song. I also really dig his style and nuances of rhythm playing, so that adds to the appeal.

I kind of agree...It's not really a tone I would go for myself necessarily. But there is something really nasty and gnarly about it that I really dig. it's definitely a bit over-gained but not over-compressed. Those cutting, ripping upper-mids sound like they would tear through the mix. I would like to hear it in the context of a song. I also really dig his style and nuances of rhythm playing, so that adds to the appeal.
It sounds good on certain riffs and some not . She I think he would just write to fit the amp

Those dudes haven’t used the same tone from one song to the next for the last decade, that’s a huge part of the reason I love ‘em so much. Live you get the stripped down versions and they’ve gotten so much cleaner over the years where you can actually hear what the guitars are doing.

Think I’m going to give his Mojotone pickups a shot in my Edwards LPC, I’m tired of the love/hate with the EMG’s.

Those dudes haven’t used the same tone from one song to the next for the last decade, that’s a huge part of the reason I love ‘em so much. Live you get the stripped down versions and they’ve gotten so much cleaner over the years where you can actually hear what the guitars are doing.

Think I’m going to give his Mojotone pickups a shot in my Edwards LPC, I’m tired of the love/hate with the EMG’s.
I mostly love my EMG 81s in the bridge position, but I get what you are saying. I'm always looking for a passive that has almost everything that the actives offer, but with a bit more organic feel and dynamics. Haven't found it yet.

Mojotone really surprised me with their pickups. I had a set of the Tomahawks (Dustie Waring Signature) in two of his CE24's. They sounded absolutely monstrous, articulate, yet still chunky where you want in the palm mutes. Their 44 Magnum pickup is supposedly really great for recording.

I just built a mojotone jtm45 clone. It sounds pretty good, but is alot more gnarly and wooly than you would normally expect out of a bluesbreaker style amp.

Mojotone really surprised me with their pickups. I had a set of the Tomahawks (Dustie Waring Signature) in two of his CE24's. They sounded absolutely monstrous, articulate, yet still chunky where you want in the palm mutes. Their 44 Magnum pickup is supposedly really great for recording.

Articulate and chunky is mainly what I want in a LP pickup! I’ve got too much shit on my “to buy” list right now, I should probably sell the two sets of EMG’s I’m never going to use and fund the Mojotones!

Camera audio, but I thought he sounded really good in this clip going into the JJ-100. This is actually the clip that convinced me to buy one and load my guitar with MCP 2nd Degree Black Belts years ago. I'm not really liking that Mojo amp, but it could just be the way they recorded it/dialed it in.

I love Mastodon, but for the most part didn’t love the tone he was getting. Sounded kinda thin and hissy for the most part. Better towards the end of the clip, around the 3:20 mark.

The amount of MONSTER COOL riffs he has made are UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Camera audio, but I thought he sounded really good in this clip going into the JJ-100. This is actually the clip that convinced me to buy one and load my guitar with MCP 2nd Degree Black Belts years ago. I'm not really liking that Mojo amp, but it could just be the way they recorded it/dialed it in.

This made me buy a JJ as well 🤪

Back