Hear N Aid

This was actually my first introduction to a lot of these guys. I was born in '82 and didn't see this until '95 or '96. My uncle had it on VHS along with Ryche Live In Tokyo and a Frank Gambale vid, I watched it for Ryche but caught a scene with Geoff Tate on the Hear 'N Aid thing and watched it...over and over and over. There was a live Dio show on that VHS as well, now that I remember. Definitely my first time experiencing Dio. Surely I heard a ton of his tunes previously, but didn't know it.

My buddies and I used to get baked and recreate half the vocal scenes in our cars.....my buddy did the Tate head-bob thing while holding his ear one night and I fucking lost it. We were trying to be sneaky, but we'd keep my truck on for the heat....I hit the gas pedal and revved my engine HARD while I was laughing and next thing I know, a light turns on in his parent's room.

Man....I miss those days.

yngzaklynch":ri7mzrjl said:
Rezamatix":ri7mzrjl said:
that was hilarious. Yngwie smoked em all, Gillis in second for being smooth.
Lynch and Schon were awesome but yeah Yngwie stood out

Rumor has it he did that solo in one take which wasn't uncommon for Yng back then in the pre-doughnut era

I loved that song when I was younger, but after not hearing it for years, a few things popped out that I hadn't noticed the first time around. First, most of the solos are just flailing, the guys were all trying to out play each other, so they sound fairly sloppy, and certainly there isn't much melody. I know that they were in a rush with studio time, but it could have been a little better. Vocally, I really liked Geoff as a kid, but now his delivery is so over the top it's laughable. I think that Paul Shortino is the best of the bunch and surprisingly, Don actually sounds pretty good too.

I watch this at least once a month.. brings back memories of when guitars were important

shredhead7":1iyuefwg said:
First, most of the solos are just flailing, the guys were all trying to out play each other, so they sound fairly sloppy, and certainly there isn't much melody.

In 1985. shredding was THE BIG THING - it was before Varney
came out with Gilbert/MacAlpine/Cocophony etc

This record was supposed to have the most comericial success as possible.

from that point of view, it was a wise decision to make sure this record
was bought by a looooot of guitarplayers.... :rock:

Everything that was wrong about the 80's in that tune/ vid. A bunch of guys jerking off. Unlistenable dogshit. At least Yngwie put his stamp on it. Brilliant mix of melody/ speed.

Yngwie slays all of them in this vid (and he knows it) but I also like Lynch. He is wild and unpredictable here.. sharp.

Vivian did a good job too..

bog70":1434jczx said:
Everything that was wrong about the 80's in that tune/ vid. A bunch of guys jerking off. Unlistenable dogshit. At least Yngwie put his stamp on it. Brilliant mix of melody/ speed.

Totally, so smooth and effortless, brilliant old school Yngwie where all the notes counted and his vibrato and high notes were hit for impact vs the modern everything set to stun speed demon playing two of his solos in the time he used to play just one...in case you missed that harmonic minor of course. :confused:

I had the VHS tape of these sessions, I think I wore that tape out I watched it so much.

Coincidentally I just found the 7" of this single at Amoeba Music in Hollywood a few weeks ago, so I had to pick it up!

yngzaklynch":3q512xq3 said:
I think someone farted in the control room, during Schon's solo...right around 4m42s. :LOL: :LOL:

Also, Craig Goldy and Eddie Odeja...nice try guys, but eh... :aww: :confused: :no:

To this day I wonder how Goldy got where he is. The guy plays like someone picked up the guitar 4 months ago for the first time.

Schon, Lynch, Gillis and Yngwie J. Malmsteen (not the other Yngwie Malmsteen :LOL: :LOL: ) stood out indeed. :rock:

My Mom went thru a bunch of my old stuff recently and told me to come pick up old records, etc. If you can believe it, she still had my "STARS" album!! One side is the radio version and the other has the extended solos, etc. :)

crankyrayhanky":2il7mns4 said:
My gift to you this holiday season :LOL: :LOL:

:) I remember seeing that before and dying. :)

With that said, the BCP guitarist with the Strat had some tasty licks and great tone!

Back