Heavy Duty Speaker For 1x12

TheEternal

I really want to get a 2x12, but I may have to settle for just swapping the speaker in my 1x12 initially.. I have the JCA100H which is a lot of amp for a 1x12, so what speaker would you use if you could only have one?

A) Eminence Texas Heat
B) Celestion K100
c) Celestion Lead 80
D) something else (please specify and explain)

What say you Rig-Talk?

Edit: It currently have a 50 watt 16 Ohm Valveking speaker in it that I pulled out of a Valveking I used to own. It sounds pretty good up to about 3.5 on the overdrive volume.. I am afraid to go past 4 with that speaker..

EVM12L (the standard by which all are judged, slightly bright IMO)
EVM12S (smoother, darker, and nicer than 12L, IMO)
EV Force 12 (still fairly cheap, I like it better than 12L, slightly dark IMO)
EV SRO Ceramic (.brightest of the EV ceramic bunch, but never harsh.)
Eminence Delta Pro 12A (VERY cheap used, darker than all of the above. handles almost infinite power, pairs well with others)

These will all sound better in the 1x12 config than those you listed.

They handle more power. They sound better at low volumes. They sound better at high volumes too! They don't rely on being used in pairs or quads to sound smooth, etc.

If you want alnico, also consider Altec Lansing 417H, or the EV SRO Alnico.

I've got a g12k100 in a 1x12 cabinet, and it sounds great!
To be fair, I haven't tried any of the EV's, and would really like to.

guitarslinger":5p8msem1 said:
EVM12L (the standard by which all are judged, slightly bright IMO)
EVM12S (smoother, darker, and nicer than 12L, IMO)
EV Force 12 (still fairly cheap, I like it better than 12L, slightly dark IMO)
EV SRO Ceramic (.brightest of the EV ceramic bunch, but never harsh.)
Eminence Delta Pro 12A (VERY cheap used, darker than all of the above. handles almost infinite power, pairs well with others)

These will all sound better in the 1x12 config than those you listed.

They handle more power. They sound better at low volumes. They sound better at high volumes too! They don't rely on being used in pairs or quads to sound smooth, etc.

If you want alnico, also consider Altec Lansing 417H, or the EV SRO Alnico.

The EV's are real good, but pricey.. The Eminence Delta Pro 12A looks real promising..

Here's one.

https://www.amazon.com/Eminence-Delta-Pr ... B0009HBHD8
deltapro-12a-img.jpg

TheEternal":2i3qlqvp said:
I really want to get a 2x12, but I may have to settle for just swapping the speaker in my 1x12 initially.. I have the JCA100H which is a lot of amp for a 1x12, so what speaker would you use if you could only have one?

A) Eminence Texas Heat
B) Celestion K100
c) Celestion Lead 80
D) something else (please specify and explain)

What say you Rig-Talk?

Edit: It currently have a 50 watt 16 Ohm Valveking speaker in it that I pulled out of a Valveking I used to own. It sounds pretty good up to about 3.5 on the overdrive volume.. I am afraid to go past 4 with that speaker..

I'd say

E) EV12L
F) Fane AXA12

orrrrrr

G) George Sholz 100 watt 12"

See what I did there. ;)

I don't have a Sholz, but if the damn near unanimously glorious reviews of Harry Joyce cabs and combos are any indication, as well as the praise of near everyone that I've heard who bought a Sholz, well they must be pretty damn good.

I do however have a pair of AXA12, and a pair of EV12L, and can say without a doubt both are incredibly well built speakers, that sound phenomenal.

Back