Help me pick out a cab for my new Engl Powerball

Exeter

Whats up guys, I just snagged an Engl Powerball and can't decide which cab to get. I've got a Peavey XXX cab right now thats served me pretty well, but I"m afraid the Powerball will make it go cry in a corner somewhere. The Engl standard cabs look pretty good with the Celestion v60's but I've also heard good things about all the cabs with the v30's, Mesa's, VHT's, etc. I of course play metal and I'm looking for that low end smack in you the chest type sound. Lots of low end, but still plent of midrange and smooth highs. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if anybody has got something for sale I'd be interested.

Exeter":2jrmzhxj said:
Whats up guys, I just snagged an Engl Powerball and can't decide which cab to get. I've got a Peavey XXX cab right now thats served me pretty well, but I"m afraid the Powerball will make it go cry in a corner somewhere. The Engl standard cabs look pretty good with the Celestion v60's but I've also heard good things about all the cabs with the v30's, Mesa's, VHT's, etc. I of course play metal and I'm looking for that low end smack in you the chest type sound. Lots of low end, but still plent of midrange and smooth highs. Any input would be greatly appreciated and if anybody has got something for sale I'd be interested.

VHT's don't have V30's in them. If I was to buy a V30 cab it would be an Orange. VHT cabs are deffinately top notch, but I don't know what they sound like with a PB. I'm sure someone on here has tried it at some point though. Bump for ya.

ive tried it with a Sunn 412LH, a Mesa Half-back, and a marshall av cab. It sounds bitchin with all of them, but the 412LH wins all out for pure hugeness though they are near impossible to find. It should sound badass with what ever you throw on it.

Any good quality cab with V30's. Bogner and Diezel are great. If you're on a budget I'd check out Carvin or Avatar.

Don't sleep on the Orange cabs, they are really high quality build and sound wise and they come with V30s.

Great cabs.

:thumbsup:

The best match for the Powerball was by far a Vader. I had an Avatar with V30's and also tried it through my buddy's Mesa with V30's. So, I didn't try it with a BUNCH of cabs but the Vader definitely wins over V30's.

The ENGL Pro cab would be a great match. A black V30 loaded Orange would be killer too. Other good options are Mesa Trad. 4x12, Randall XL and Marshall 1960V. My H&K cab has insane lowend cunch and clarity, but that particular model is tough to find.

You are getting lots of different directions here! :LOL: :LOL:

And I am going to add another one.

I like the powerball through several different cabs(mostly v30 loaded cabs), but my absolute favorite cab with a Powerball is:

Marshall straight cab with 75's

This is particularly interesting because I pretty much hate 75's with every amp I have played them through, but they jsut match up really well with the Powerball.

If I recall correctly, I think JB made this reccomendation to me...I didn't believe him until I tried it. He was right :thumbsup:

mctallica1":21ut7xxr said:

I like the powerball through several different cabs(mostly v30 loaded cabs), but my absolute favorite cab with a Powerball is:

This is particularly interesting because I pretty much hate 75's with every amp I have played them through, but they jsut match up really well with the Powerball.

If I recall correctly, I think JB made this reccomendation to me...I didn't believe him until I tried it. He was right :thumbsup:

I never heard the Powerball with the 75's, but now that you mention it I could see that being really good.

I preferred the Powerball in the focus mode for the punch it adds to single notes and high gain riffing, but as it implies it focuses the tone and seems to lose some of the biggness of the non-focus mode. I imagine the 75's would help extend the low and high freqs. so you can have the biggness and the mid range punch/focus. Makes me wonder how the classic V30/75 X-pattern would sound with the powerball?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll consider everything. Two more days and I'll be riffing away on my new metal machine. Hopefully my local Guitar Center won't mind if I take my amp in there to try out some cabs. I'll post some clips and pics once I've had it a few days and see what you guys think.

LordOVchaoS":n9ezxfwm said:
The best match for the Powerball was by far a Vader. I had an Avatar with V30's and also tried it through my buddy's Mesa with V30's. So, I didn't try it with a BUNCH of cabs but the Vader definitely wins over V30's.

Bingo! I've owned two Powerball/Vader rigs now and I must say, the Vader is basically THE cabinet to couple with the PB. Very tight, articulate, full tone. Plus the cabinets are very high quality, and surprisingly affordable.

the powerball/vader combo is a popular one. my vader is way smoother and more balanced with a better low end than v30 cabs i have had/played.

+ 1 to Vader. Just got one with my SE and really like it. It's a lot tighter in the lows and more balanced across the frequencies then my Diezel with V30s. I still like the Diezel cab a lot but for Metal the Vader is killer. Very well built too.

ENDITOL":1ukb5uxt said:
+ 1 to Vader. Just got one with my SE and really like it. It's a lot tighter in the lows and more balanced across the frequencies then my Diezel with V30s. I still like the Diezel cab a lot but for Metal the Vader is killer. Very well built too.

I just got an SE :yes: It's shipping Monday!!! I can't wait to hear what it sounds like with the Vader :rock:

mctallica1":10ynz45f said:

I was acually going to chime into this thread and recomend a simple Marshall 1960 w/75's, but figured most people would just blow it off. The fact is, the amp kills through one of these cabs! And besides that, there's a million of them out there, and are cheaper than all the Bogners/VHT's/Oranges/etc, etc..

Back