Help me price an amp (Soldono modded 2204)

jirojan

Hi all,

In my youth (mid 2000s) these nice hair metal guys would let us use thier photography studio as a lockout and they had all thier own late 80s gear there as well.

One of those items was a soldano modded jcm 800 that sounded insane. Easily top 3 marshall I've ever played (the other 2 would be a spawn 2204 and of course the roccaforte custom 40).

Now they are moving, and reached out to potentially have me buy some gear. Issue is that I don't know what mods were done, and its been sitting in thier office storage for almost 2 decades at this point. I remember the shell being in rough shape.

How much would be a fair market value for this amp? Is there a market for soldano modded Marshall's? I've never come across another one.

Thank you!

They are definitely rare; but I wouldn't say they are worth what a Cam modded Marshall is. From what I know, he modded Marshalls to have the same gain structure as his future SLO amps. So a smoother high gain thing. I'd put the value at 3K.

I had him (Bill or somebody else probably did it) mod a 78 2203 I had. It sounded OK but I regretted it after and sold the head. He has a set high gain mod he uses for Marshall’s. He has a little board with everything on it that he just adds to the end of the board in the amp and then hooks up the necessary wiring. I think a 4th 12ax7 was added but I forget. I had a band mate who had an 800 with the same mod that ripped. Mine, not so much.
IIRC Rich Ward might have been using one in the earlier Stuck Mojo days.
I think I paid around $400 for the mod back in the mid 2000’s.
These days for a 2203/4 I would just get a Hot Mod / legendary tones and call it good.

Last edited:
Back