Herbert or VH4 ???

Both. :yes:

Fan of hard rock, '90s alt, some metal, more melodic but heavy? VH4

Do you like metal? The faster, harder, heavier the better? If you like a lot of low end and a bunch of gain. Get the Herbert

The VH4 is more in the classic high gain sound. It is more familiar sounding perhaps. Tighter, more articulate and focused. Less low end available. A little more responsive to volume and picking changes. Not as modern, metal, or as bass-capable.

The Herbert is the metal monster. It stays very tight, focused, articulate no matter how much bass, gain, volume you dial in. More available gain and more metal voiced with the mid-scoop switch. It will do any sort of modern metal tone you need. If you play metal, this is your amp.

If you're in to metal get the Herbert... if you want more versatility and more '80s-'90s hard rock to metal get the VH4.

I own both and dig both. Killer amps. No right or wrong here. You can't go wrong with either one. If I had to recommend one for you, you'd probably dig the VH4 more.

And if you haven't checked them out... some vids from the man himself:

Actually I don't play much metal. I play mostly funk and R&B.

I've played on both amps a lot over the years. Today anyway I thinking Herbert because it is pretty different from the other amps and sounds I have.

Really wish I had both here so I could compare them using my gear. I've never been able to try them side by side.

For funk and R&B, the VH4 is probably a better choice. I've heard some fusion and funk bands here and there that used the VH4 and the cleans and lighter-gain stuff sound good. The Herbert... not as versatile. I had a VH4 for a number of years and it's a great amp.

In the right hands, the herbert mk II is hard to beat. The MkI's had the problem of the clean channel breaking up at higher volumes when trying to keep up with the crunch and lead channels. This was fixed along with a few other things in the Mk II's. It's just not a bedroom amplifier and needs to be cranked. I think the herbert also performs under a mic VERY well - it's tone is very recognizable. I think the herbert gets a bad wrap at the fault of that mid scoop feature which takes a guitar amplifier that sits in a mix well, to an amplifier combating with the china cymbal. The person using it just needs to know what they're doing.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't had my eyes on one.

The VH4 doesn't do anything that a barrage of other amplifiers can cover just as well at much less of an investment for funk and R&B. Just my 0.02.

Channel 3 of the VH4 is iconic. With a good clean boost and quality EQ in the loop, you can cop Herbert-esq type tones. Save the cash.

Between the two I would get the Herbert because I am a one trick metal guy. I try to get the most brutal tone I can get and that amp is pretty Devastating. If I was into a wider variety of things I would get the VH4 because it can still do metal but seems like it can do much more as well.

maddnotez":2ezgxr6n said:
Between the two I would get the Herbert because I am a one trick metal guy. I try to get the most brutal tone I can get and that amp is pretty Devastating. If I was into a wider variety of things I would get the VH4 because it can still do metal but seems like it can do much more as well.

I agree with this. :thumbsup:

The Herbert is my main amp. I play mostly metal and it kills in this respect. Just about perfect.

Go for the Herbert. Ch2 with the +/- switch will cover your mid gain stuff and will still get brutal enough for metal. Ch3 is more compressed but feels amazing. Everything jumps right out of that amp. super aggressive but smooth and the mid cut is really fun to mess around with. It sounds incredible loud but its decent for bedroom volume. I made the mistake of pairing it with a rear loaded v30 diezel cab. It sounds good but Get the front load k100 cab with that amp. handles the low end way better. im about to make the switch.

I like my Herb better than the blue face VH4 I had, just way more brutal, and the cleans really are great too. Can’t go wrong.

Not sure why people are recommending the Herbert because it's more "brootal" and heavy and aggressive when the guy is looking for something for R&B and funk

I had a Herbert many years ago. Fantastic amp. I do not need 150 watts nor a wheel cart to move it from gig to gig so I would probably take the VH-4....not that it is much lighter.

FourT6and2":34epw4pw said:
Not sure why people are recommending the Herbert because it's more "brootal" and heavy and aggressive when the guy is looking for something for R&B and funk

R&B with less funk and more grunt :LOL: :LOL:

stephen sawall":wjzpk8o5 said:
I play everything....I just play funk and R&B the most.
There really is something special about the sound of a Herbert.

Who was that artist that was on rig talk many years ago that used one as his main amplifier for R&B/Funk/Jazz/Metal/etc? Had his own CDs and everything?

glpg80":tdjgqozj said:
stephen sawall":tdjgqozj said:
I play everything....I just play funk and R&B the most.
There really is something special about the sound of a Herbert.

Who was that artist that was on rig talk many years ago that used one as his main amplifier for R&B/Funk/Jazz/Metal/etc? Had his own CDs and everything?

Not sure

Actually the clean channel on the Herbert is awesome for funk.

FourT6and2":1su6x4su said:

stephen sawall":1su6x4su said:
What one do you prefer and why ?

Feel free to add any other Diezel to the discussion.
:dunno:

Back