hey Charvel guys, what's the neck profile and thickness?

hank

so I'm really interested in the new Charvels and there's one on line I have my eye on. I understand the necks are incredibly playable. BUT I'm wondering about the San Dimas neck specifics. Is the profile more like a modern C or like a slim D? I've seen both descriptions.

Also, what is the neck thickness at the first fret? .75, .80, what?

Enquiring minds want to know!

It's more like a modern C shape. It sure ain't super slim like an Ibanez, it's got a little beef to it. Don't know the exact measurments, it feels good though!

the production models are more consistent in thickness and tend to be in the .790" range at the 1st. the shape is tough to describe since it sort of blurs the line between C and D. it's not as round as a typical C but not as flat as a typical D. that's one of the reasons i really like them, perfect thickness for me and the shape is very comfortable.

the custom shops vary much more in terms of thickness and shape. my eldred flame custom is .770" and a bit closer to a D. my other custom which has a DeMartini neck is much thinner at .750" and also more D like. the TMZ mahogany natural i had was again more D like and in the .770" range if i remember correct. the bullseye reissue i had was very much a flat D and thin like the DeMartini in the .750" range.

so, it depends on the guitar but that's the basic range i've found with the most consistent shape being the production models since they get the least time hand sanding and shaping them when they pop out of the CNC. the customs seem to be a bit more D shape (yet not overly flat and not with a big uncomfortable shoulder) and a bit thinner in general. the grover reissues and other 21 fretter customs have thicker necks than all the others.

-Mike

XSSIVE":1bp7a18g said:
the shape is tough to describe since it sort of blurs the line between C and D. it's not as round as a typical C but not as flat as a typical D. that's one of the reasons i really like them, perfect thickness for me and the shape is very comfortable.

That's a great way to describe it.

I agree with XSSIVE's description exactly. SOME of the custom shops I have played are just too thin and Ibanez feeling for me. Some of the custom shops are kind of beefy the production model seems to split the difference in just the perfect spot. It's like they based these on the most perfect '82-83 San Dimas neck I ever played.

I can give you a Rig Talk hook up if you're interested in a Charvel ;)

Chubtone":3ta24i7r said:
I agree with XSSIVE's description exactly. SOME of the custom shops I have played are just too thin and Ibanez feeling for me. Some of the custom shops are kind of beefy the production model seems to split the difference in just the perfect spot. It's like they based these on the most perfect '82-83 San Dimas neck I ever played.

Chubtone, which of the USA production models do you have for sale?

Chubtone":1n699wv0 said:

the one I saw online is a custom shop so given the price and the fact that the neck is unpredictable I guess I'm passing on it. The production models sound like what I want EXCEPT that they don't come in hardtail. I just don't care for whammys. The custom shop one is a hardtail. Guess I'm never going to own a Charvel :cry:

I got to try one of these for the first time on Friday night. Walked into a local bar, and there was a new band in there; dude had a SLO and a San Dimas :rock:

He had replaced the Floyd with an OFR and tweaked the neck a bit. Felt great! Similar to my N4, with maybe a bit more beef. Very comfy. :thumbsup:

Back