Hey Kemper peeps...

chunktone

I can't find too much info on these. I've seen the vids, and heard alot of clips. So far I'm pretty impressed. How does it "feel"? Does it react well to picking dynamics? Also does it have a power section or it a profiling preamp? thx!

chunktone":ftshpva2 said:
I can't find too much info on these. I've seen the vids, and heard alot of clips. So far I'm pretty impressed. How does it "feel"? Does it react well to picking dynamics? Also does it have a power section or it a profiling preamp? thx!

I have been on moddelers for a long time, and used a lot running through my computer where the latency and feel was very stiff, so if I was able to perform ok with that setup, I feel pretty spoiled from most moddelers now adays in comparison :LOL: :LOL:

Honestly some patches feel GREAT to play through, just fluid and I really feel like I am not fighting with anything and the pickups are reacting very well and alive. and some patches feel slightly stiffer. I have the same feeling on some amps too. For me I have no problems with the feel, I have heard others say they didn't love it at times so I don't think my feeling is completely universal, but for me, I pluck the strings, I hear a sound, it works and the kemper is not stopping me from doing anything. of course the more saturation the easier on some patches...

it works well with picking dynamics. The only thing I have noticed is that depending on guitars, it can be easy to clip the input or output, there are a few level adjustments you can make to help this, no problem with strat, more of an issue on les paul. I have to watch this on clean patches. Cleans like to stay clean, unless they were profiled for some dirt (2 options in the profiling section) But man there are some stellar cleans, best I have ever had with a modeler, just amp like.

When it profiles, it gives you the option to adjust a few things, amplifier, eq and cabinet, stack. in the amplifier section, you can adjust definition, power sagging, pick (which makes the pick attack more up front, very cool) and compression. eq is eq. cabinet you can adjust the high and low shift of the cab sound (trying to mimick moving the mic around I guess) character and volume. when it profiles, it profiles the pre and power sound, but then you can separate the cab somehow and combine the pre and power, with another cab. In order to get the cleanest option if this is what you are gonna do, you can profile JUST the preamp sound of an amp, which I have done, then pair it with a cab later. one user posted 60 profiles of his cabs, all different positions. they are killer.

the end result is that you have a finished guitar sound. but there are routing options that will let you go to power amp and cab, or use an efx loop, or disable the cab etc. really a well thought out product. I have no desire for any of the other features found in any modeller at this time. I am not like dang, I wish I could adjust this and this and this.

eq adjustments are a knob grab away, don't have to dig into menus.

hope this helps... holla with any more questions...

Not to mention nearly everyday I go to the site, there is a new amp, or amps posted. I mean to me this is way better then say patch sharing, where users are passing around different versions of their creations using all of the same stock amp stacks and cabs, and then every now and then the manufacturer releases a major update that adds 3 to 3 new amps. This is like christmas everyday. sure not all profiles hit the mark, but some really really do. When I had the axe Fx, I had 3 patches I went to regularly, yup, only 3 that I felt fit the bill best and were tried in recording. I am sure I could of tweaked more and bought more ir's etc. I have over 100 patches in my kemper that I feel are all usable in various settings. I have tried to dwindle my usable amps down, but I can't.

Most amps being posted are at least cool, not like tons of bugeras and low end peavy's or what not, not that there is anything wrong with those, but some cool ones, from unique and sometimes botique amps, and this I can promise will only get better as more and more users share. honestly, its just fun to profile.

snowdog":j76ltzjf said:
Are the profiles downloadable to a external storage device of some kind ?
Yeah right now the only USB thing working is with a portable USB stick. You plug it into Kemper and format it. It adds folders. You log in and download patches off of the site. Then put your USB stick on the computer. Put the profiles in the folder labeled user Put that into the Kemper. You will see an external storage thing pop up on the screen. You can select that and import rigs. It imports an then restarts. You can backup to USB stick and export patches. Lots going back and forth at this point if and when they implement straight USB connection (it has a normal USB port to). It works fine actually just an extra step specially since I am adding profiles almost everyday. But at the same time I always had issues with fractals software and getting it to talk to the axe so it's better for me from that standpoint. Updating is easy to.

The Kemper and it's software is a work in progress. They came to market in beta version. But they are wOrking. Listening an improving. For my needs I have no problems to really complain. Just a few nit picks that would make life just a little easier

You know after I finally gave up on my Axe-FX Standard I didn't think I would be interested in any modeller for a long time. The Kemper really has me intrigued though. Most all the clips and videos I have seen are pretty darn impressive. They sound really good. My big gripe with the Axe-FX was the continuous tweaking. I finally realized that it was not for me, way too many parameters and time wasted trying to find the tones I liked. And I honestly couldn't find my sound after months and months of trying. So back to real amps was like a breath of fresh air. The Kemper has gotten my interest again.
Does the Kemper come with a case or some kind of cover to transport it with?

daveg62":w18spexm said:
You know after I finally gave up on my Axe-FX Standard I didn't think I would be interested in any modeller for a long time. The Kemper really has me intrigued though. Most all the clips and videos I have seen are pretty darn impressive. They sound really good. My big gripe with the Axe-FX was the continuous tweaking. I finally realized that it was not for me, way too many parameters and time wasted trying to find the tones I liked. And I honestly couldn't find my sound after months and months of trying. So back to real amps was like a breath of fresh air. The Kemper has gotten my interest again.
Does the Kemper come with a case or some kind of cover to transport it with?

in my opinion, the kemper is way better then the axe standard. it doesn't come with a case, one would have to get something...

tcrash":2kp7ifqk said:
Is anyone using the Kemper live?
Im just curious about its durability loadin and unloading it.

Thanks for the replys.

I'm curious about this as well. Does it seem solid? How does it perform live?

Does it profile the whole amp in terms of range or just the sound you set up with? In other words if you profile a a chunky rhythm sound with an extacy can you get cleans and semi cleans sounds from that profile or is it just the chunky sound you profiled?

BrokenFusion":3ez2m0nu said:
Does it profile the whole amp in terms of range or just the sound you set up with? In other words if you profile a a chunky rhythm sound with an extacy can you get cleans and semi cleans sounds from that profile or is it just the chunky sound you profiled?

it does best with duplicating the sound you have it set up with, but you can add gain or take it away, eq and what not later. Just won't react like your amp would exactly. I find adding gain to already saturated sounds works, trying to add gain in the kemper to clean and slightly broken up sounds doesn't have the most desirable effect. best to profile an amp in a few settings to cover the basis.

All this is fueling the gas!

Does it have a power section, or do you have to run a poweramp to use it live?

chunktone":1mh6i08d said:
All this is fueling the gas!

Does it have a power section, or do you have to run a poweramp to use it live?
It is a direct box which could be used frfr. To use it with a guitar cab yeah you would need to run it through a power amp and disable the cabinet sound

after using mine for a few hours I finally got the hang of it (had to update the firmware and jam a little), GODDDAAAAAMMMNNN...

jaw on floor, and is firmly there

The feature I like the most so far... turning the amp models volumes way up. Sounds fierce.. extremely tubey and I could never do this before without blasting my ears out. Im using KRK studio monitors w/10" KRK sub for reference. Using stereo outs..

Favorite amp so far is Kempers JMP77 with the Green Screamer in front. Instant thrash tone from the gods. Hot damn!

redrol":3lcw8vtl said:
after using mine for a few hours I finally got the hang of it (had to update the firmware and jam a little), GODDDAAAAAMMMNNN...

jaw on floor, and is firmly there

The feature I like the most so far... turning the amp models volumes way up. Sounds fierce.. extremely tubey and I could never do this before without blasting my ears out. Im using KRK studio monitors w/10" KRK sub for reference. Using stereo outs..

Favorite amp so far is Kempers JMP77 with the Green Screamer in front. Instant thrash tone from the gods. Hot damn!

Freakin' sound great don't it mang!? :rock:

Gary

It really really does. At no point have I been like, well this amp sounds digital, NEXT... nope. Everything I am trying sounds dead on. Honestly I am a bit jaded about new gear technology but this is just something else. I feel this will revolutionize the entire industry. I am not kidding in the least.

Oh yeah, I was jamming along and suddenly it occurred to me that the response I normally get from my tube amp I am getting at low volumes from my studio monitors. This is the first time ever that has happened to me! Its like when you dig in and grab that chord real hard... and the amp sounds glorious? That shit is happening. Whoa!

Back