Holdsworth Charvel Tribute Build

Daf57

Hi all, new guy here. :)

So I've been on a bit of a build kick lately. I've built a couple of Fender Strats and I really enjoy the process of tracking down (period or artist correct parts, etc...) and assembling.

I had the idea to try to assemble a Holdsworth Charvel model, like the white or red one from the early 80s. As I contemplate this build in my head I realize I know nothing about Charvels from that period. Okay, a challenge right off! :) I've been reading everything I can find on the web but a few questions, please.

1) While the body looks to be very similar to a Fender Strat is there a difference in the Charvel version? Would Allan's model be a particular model - like San Dimas or So Cal. As I source out as correct a body as I can what am I looking for? Does Warmoth or Mighty Mite offer a good option?
1b) I think I read that the red was basswood and the white was an exotic wood?
1c) There is a user on here @Rdodson I believe that did in fact build a very nice version - he mentioned the body as being "template 28" - what does that mean?
2) I've see some specs on the neck he used. Again - do any companies offer a similarly spec'ed neck?

I think the above could get me started in the right direction. Most of the other parts can be sourced on Reverb or ebay.

Thanks for any responses, links and any suggestions. :)

Daf

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
go to the unreal allan holdsworth group on fb
search the topic
search chip flynn's posts
grover custom made those with everything custom built from scratch
warmouth will make you a neck
I have a warmouth neck/guitar built for AH with special specs and a custom body made by chip flynn that AH played at home for awhile as he wanted a break from kiesels which he really didn't dig

IMO, Warmoth makes great necks, but they cant do a Charvel. The carves are not close and the headstock is just wrong.

I have a bud that had MusiKraft make a Charvel like neck that was really spot on. That's where I'm going from now on for Charvel type necks.

IMO, Warmoth makes great necks, but they cant do a Charvel. The carves are not close and the headstock is just wrong.

I have a bud that had MusiKraft make a Charvel like neck that was really spot on. That's where I'm going from now on for Charvel type necks.
Truth.

the neck made for allan at warmouth was done by staff off the clock as a special project and was not a stock product at all

Back