Home recording studio

borkincz

Hi guys, I am starting to do my own little recording studio at home.

So I think, that it´s maybe good idea to start one topic like this, which would help guys like my on start.

Can you write here what exactly are you useing in your home recording studios? ..soud cards (external/internal), firewire, cables, microphones, mix-boards, programs in computers..and so on.. and your own experience with your stuff?

I am starting, so I just bought Suhr 57 and RODE NT1000 mic and at this time I use like firewire only Line 6 X3 Pro.. so I am looking for better sondcard and other equipment.
Have anyone experience with AARDVARK q10 ( I can have one for reall good prize, but some people talks about bad software support of this thing).

Nice day, Michal

From my experience:

1. Get a Mac and Logic
2. Get an SM57 (you have)
3. Make sure your room sounds good!
4. Good mic pres (I love mine in my first series Mackie 1202 actually)
5. Any recent firewirw/USB quality device will do (Apogee, Presonus, Midiman, etc.)
6. Spend more time placing the mic than tweaking EQs in your DAW.

Ideally you have a place where you can turn it up a little at least, doesn't have to be bone crushing volumes, but a bit more than your average TV will be required to get a good sound in most cases.

I would also agree on the mac computer and the sm57
but for me iam using pro tools its personnel preference
I guess

Mac & Logic Pro is a great start. a great interface (Presonus, Apogee, MOTU etc) some good mics, a good pre or 2 will make a huge difference!!! Then you should be off & running!

Try Reaper as a DAW before you spend money on anything...... It's free, and only around $60 if you want to use it semi commercially.

Mac, Logic, SM57+Superlux+Mackie/Firewire here.

I get reasonable results at low volumes by using two mics, recording at room level and boosting the file afterwards between 6 and 12dB in "Sound Studio" before going further with Logic.

For vids: QuickTime Pro (7, not the built in version) and iMovie will do the job for me.

Back